Most iconic shot in history?

ExRabbit

Club Champion
Visit site
The 4 1/2 foot putt that Jack Nicklaus made in the Ryder cup. Remembered forever by his concession of the short putt left to Tony Jacklin right after to tie the match.

D

Deleted member 23270

Seve's shot out of the trees on the 18th at Crans followed by his chip in for birdie.
Nobody else would even consider it never mind actually pulling it off.

Or his putt followed by the fist pumping and beaming smile on the 18th green at St Andrews.

evemccc

Visit site
Two shots I most remember was Costantino Rocca’s chip in at St Andrews in 95 across the Valley of Sin, and the second at the 13th from Faldo in the 96 Masters on Sunday

Papas1982

Tour Winner
Banned
Visit site
Seve's shot out of the trees on the 18th at Crans followed by his chip in for birdie.

Or his putt followed by the fist pumping and beaming smile on the 18th green at St Andrews.

The shot wasn’t really shown though was it? So whilst it’s massively renowned. I wouldn’t say it’s iconic as such.

I think unquestionably the most famous is Woods chip in. More non golfers will know of that than any other.

D

Deleted member 23270

The shot wasn’t really shown though was it? So whilst it’s massively renowned. I wouldn’t say it’s iconic as such.

I think unquestionably the most famous is Woods chip in. More non golfers will know of that than any other.
Something that is iconic comes down to personal viewpoint.

Golfnut1957

Visit site
Tiger's chip in at the Masters. All of the others mentioned are iconic, except perhaps a couple. But the thing is they get rolled out at the appropriate time i.e. Seve's shot at the Belfry whenever Seve is mentioned or the Ryder Cup is discussed, or Seve's shot from behind the wall at Crans whenever the Omega Masters is on TV.

Tiger's shot pops up anywhere, anytime and it doesn't need words or an introduction, people just know what it is

D

Deleted member 1147

Seve’s chip and run, between the bunkers, at The Open.

SwingsitlikeHogan

Major Champion
Visit site
Torrance’s iron shot to the 18th at the Belfry in the 1985 Ryder Cup.

With Andy North basically out of it after hitting into the water - all Torrance had to do was to hit the green and chances are he’d win the hole, win the match, and win the Ryder Cup. But he still had to hit that decent length iron shot onto the green. He did - and that win elevated the RC onto the very high golfing pedestal it stands to this day.

Ethan

Money List Winner
Visit site
Tiger's chip in at the Masters. All of the others mentioned are iconic, except perhaps a couple. But the thing is they get rolled out at the appropriate time i.e. Seve's shot at the Belfry whenever Seve is mentioned or the Ryder Cup is discussed, or Seve's shot from behind the wall at Crans whenever the Omega Masters is on TV.

Tiger's shot pops up anywhere, anytime and it doesn't need words or an introduction, people just know what it is

PGA National in Florida.

robinthehood

Hacker
Visit site

Is there video of the Seve shot from out of the trees?

Papas1982

Tour Winner
Banned
Visit site
Something that is iconic comes down to personal viewpoint.

I totally accept that. Hence why I didn't say Woods was unquestionably the most iconic. Just best known.

But the op was most iconic shot. I just don't see how people can claim a shothat they (nor anybody else) has actually seen can be iconic. Legendary, maybe. But not iconic.

fenwayrich

Assistant Pro
Visit site
Tiger Woods is golf's icon, and his chip on 16 is most closely associated with him, so to me that is golf's iconic shot.

Doesn't mean it is the greatest shot, although it was pretty good!

Tommy10

Visit site
Kaymer's putt to win at Medinah, Tiger's bunker shot at WGC Mexico, Mickelson from pine needles at Masters

sunshine

Visit site
Tigers chip in at the masters.

Everything about it from the audacity to even attempt it, the difficulty from being right up at the second cut, to the suspense of the ball dropping.

For me completely sums up how Tiger dragged the game into the 21st century and made it the blockbuster sport that it is today!

I 100% agree that Tiger's chip is the most iconic shot. The timing, the way the ball teetered on the edge, and then the celebrations.

Audacity is an unusual word to use though (in my opinion). The shot he took on was the percentage play, it's far trickier to go directly at the flag. It was a safe chip and run and 99% of the field would have played it the same way. Tiger just had the knack of making things happen at important moments!

Orikoru

Tour Winner
Visit site

The fact people are saying 'Tiger's chip' as if he only ever chipped it in once and everyone still knows which one is meant, confirms it for me. :D