Most iconic shot in history?

D

Deleted member 1147

To this day I still can't can't believe how the rules officials allowed this to happen and more importantly Tiger stood by and let this happen.

You can guarantee Jack Nicklaus would have had more integrity than that.
I’m sure St Jack would have done whatever was necessary to win, within the rules...and just because you don’t like it doesn’t make it wrong...and certainly not against the rules.

Last edited by a moderator:

Rlburnside

Challenge Tour Pro
Visit site
Indeed. You can guarantee if you were out early with no fans you wee getting the same assistance. That was poor by Woods and crossed a line (even if the rule technically wasn't broken)

Yes I agree and that was the moment that Tiger woods went down in my estimation and I’ve never been a fan since.

clubchamp98

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
In my view it's legit if the player alone can move it.

Outside help like that is bollocks. Would they fans gave moved it for Monty in the states, I rather doubt it....
I agree.
The rules say you can’t have more than one caddy.
But a crowd can help you move a Boulder.
If YOU can’t move it then it’s not movable.

clubchamp98

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Steve’s little pitch between the bunkers in the open at Birkdale in 76.
That’s when the other pros knew he was the one they would need to beat in future.

Last edited:

rulefan

Tour Winner
Visit site
To this day I still can't can't believe how the rules officials allowed this to happen and more importantly Tiger stood by and let this happen.

You can guarantee Jack Nicklaus would have had more integrity than that.
The Decision was in book 40 years before Tiger Wood's incident. Are you saying Nicklaus wouldn't have taken advantage of something that was written in the rules

D

Deleted member 3432

The Decision was in book 40 years before Tiger Wood's incident. Are you saying Nicklaus wouldn't have taken advantage of something that was written in the rules

Certainly the player is allowed to move a loose impediment but allowing the crowd cannot ensure fairness to the whole field. Some Billy No Name in the 1st group out has no chance of getting the rock moved so certain big name players are gaining unfair advantage.

Just because the rock was classed as a loose impediment under the rules doesn't mean the rule is fit for purpose in a situation like like this.

I'm sure any pro tries to get any help allowed by the rules but that I suspect crowds in Nicklaus day were not as 'involved' as the circus around Woods.

clubchamp98

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Certainly the player is allowed to move a loose impediment but allowing the crowd cannot ensure fairness to the whole field. Some Billy No Name in the 1st group out has no chance of getting the rock moved so certain big name players are gaining unfair advantage.

Just because the rock was classed as a loose impediment under the rules doesn't mean the rule is fit for purpose in a situation like like this.

I'm sure any pro tries to get any help allowed by the rules but that I suspect crowds in Nicklaus day were not as 'involved' as the circus around Woods.
Also course designers in Jacks day didn’t stick big lumps of rock in waste areas.

If Tiger had a small stone on his line on the green ,would he let a member of the public move it for him?
It should be ,if the player and or his caddie can’t move it that’s tough.
That’s fair to all the field.
That rule needs amending imo.

robinthehood

Hacker
Visit site
Also course designers in Jacks day didn’t stick big lumps of rock in waste areas.

If Tiger had a small stone on his line on the green ,would he let a member of the public move it for him?
It should be ,if the player and or his caddie can’t move it that’s tough.
That’s fair to all the field.
That rule needs amending imo.
Bit of an overreaction I think. I've had help moving a large trunk before, no issue at all. I doubt tiger is the only pro to have ever been helped either , just that he is very high profile.

D

Deleted member 3432

Turns out koepka had help moving a boulder too and that was last year, not 21 years ago, but it's still tiger who gets the grief...

Didn't know about that one. Just the same as Tiger and plain wrong if the player can't move it on his own then tough luck.

Advantage of being a big name player...

rulefan

Tour Winner
Visit site

The Decision said specifically that any player may have assistance in moving a loose impediment. The case involved an elderly lady and a tree trunk. Someone moved it for her. Are you saying she shouldn't have had help?
Incidentally, the rule said 'by any method'. You could use your buggy to nudge it out of the way.

Orikoru

Tour Winner
Visit site
I don't think a rock of that size has ever been moved before or since :unsure:
How many boulders of that size are on golf courses??

I reckon he could have moved it with his caddy, by rolling it if nothing else. The fans just sped up the process. Fans frequently find wayward balls that would otherwise be lost, I don't see this as any different really.