Most expensive buggy hire ever

HomerJSimpson

Hall of Famer
Visit site
On our club cards it runs two separate accounts, one with a bar credit on (depending on how much you top up/spend) and a competition purse which deducts each time you sign into an event on PSI. If you don't have sufficient funds on the comp purse it won't let you sign in and as a result you won't be considered entered into the event. We have had guys unable to enter as they didn't have enough funds, the pro shop doesn't have access to that card system and the office and bar weren't open

Slab

Occasional Tour Caddy
Visit site
I’m pretty sure we would have - I guessing the letter would state that he would medically need to use a buggy - or words to that effect

As long as there was something official from a medical person then yes they would be allowed initial temp use of a buggy and then if the person wanted to be on the Perm Buggy list - doctors note would then be needed to state that

I still wonder if it did say anything about ability to play golf though
I think a lot of the 'club bashers' assumed it did

The OP has described it as a letter from the consultant to his gp to update medical history

I don't get why that kind of letter would contain anything to reference golf

And if it didn't mention golf or ability to walk etc we can maybe understand why the club might have taken the stance they did

Imurg

The Grinder Of Pars (Semi Crocked)
Visit site
I still wonder if it did say anything about ability to play golf though
I think a lot of the 'club bashers' assumed it did

The OP has described it as a letter from the consultant to his gp to update medical history

I don't get why that kind of letter would contain anything to reference golf

And if it didn't mention golf or ability to walk etc we can maybe understand why the club might have taken the stance they did
He walks into office, says "I need to use a buggy. I've got a slipped disc and here's a letter from my consultant outlining my predicament".
A quick read and "yep, here's the keys"
There's nothing else needed.

It's a case, all to regularly these days, of Golf taking itself ridiculously seriously as if it's the centre of the universe.
I repeat my view from earlier..
They'd have been told to stick it and I'd find somewhere else to play.

HampshireHog

Assistant Pro
Visit site
On our club cards it runs two separate accounts, one with a bar credit on (depending on how much you top up/spend) and a competition purse which deducts each time you sign into an event on PSI. If you don't have sufficient funds on the comp purse it won't let you sign in and as a result you won't be considered entered into the event. We have had guys unable to enter as they didn't have enough funds, the pro shop doesn't have access to that card system and the office and bar weren't open
It seem laughable that you would need 2 accounts! We, like you we can’t sign up without sufficient funds, money is removed from the card at time of entry. The Pro Shop don’t need access to cards or accounts, the only money that changes hands on the day is for the 2’s which is cash only.

clubchamp98

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
It seem laughable that you would need 2 accounts! We, like you we can’t sign up without sufficient funds, money is removed from the card at time of entry. The Pro Shop don’t need access to cards or accounts, the only money that changes hands on the day is for the 2’s which is cash only.
We in theory have three.
Own money Food and drink levy. Can’t pay comp entry.
Own money put on card anything in clubhouse.
Pro shop winnings twos etc.

HomerJSimpson

Hall of Famer
Visit site
Quite simply, the pro that came in two years ago now runs his own account (and reports into the office for his figures) and his system doesn't talk with PSI which is what we use to log in on comp days and takes the cash automatically and the system the kitchen and bar use. Basically we can use the card for food, drink and comps and have to run a separate account in the pro shop not on a card.

D

Deleted Member 1156

In view of the very small amount of physical effort required to play a golf shot I struggle to see how a little fatigue will affect a player's ability.

Has any evidence ever been produced to support the theory?

And if a "level playing field" is to be created then surely caddies and trolleys also need to be banned.
It's not the effort required to swing a club, it's the actual walking that makes a difference. At our county champs one year, a friend of mine wore a device that calculates how far he walked. Long course, walks between greens and tees, 36 holes in a day......total distance walked was 15 miles.

sunshine

Visit site
What do you consider a "small amount"?

To swing a driver at 100mph takes about 2HP. Assuming you take approx 40 full shots in a round, that's 40 seconds of effort at 2HP, but this could be doubled with practice swings.

To put that in perspective, during a 100m sprint, Usain Bolt would produce about 3HP for less than 10 seconds. If you asked him to do 1 sprint an hour for 4 hours, I would be willing to bet the last sprint would be slower than the first one.
An elite track cyclist would produce around 3HP for a simialr period.

It may be surprising to many, but a golf swing is actually a big effort. This is why practising with loads of swings can lead to diminishing returns.

Hi I'm not a biomechanics expert, so please could you explain your analysis. What is this HP unit? Are you saying that one swing with a driver uses the same amount of effort as sprinting 66m?

Slab

Occasional Tour Caddy
Visit site
He walks into office, says "I need to use a buggy. I've got a slipped disc and here's a letter from my consultant outlining my predicament".
A quick read and "yep, here's the keys"
There's nothing else needed.

It's a case, all to regularly these days, of Golf taking itself ridiculously seriously as if it's the centre of the universe.
I repeat my view from earlier..
They'd have been told to stick it and I'd find somewhere else to play.

I actually think most clubs would be sympathetic to the players situation when its as clear cut as you suggest, which is precisely why I questioned if it might not be that clear

It could very well be a comp sec just gone all 'rulesy' but all i'm saying is with the information we've been given it must be a possibility that the paperwork provided was not clear

Dibby

Assistant Pro
Visit site
Hi I'm not a biomechanics expert, so please could you explain your analysis. What is this HP unit? Are you saying that one swing with a driver uses the same amount of effort as sprinting 66m?

HP = Horsepower, or equivalent to 745 Watts if you prefer metric.

I am saying swinging a golfclub at 100mph requires the same amount of power as an elite sprinter produces when running the 100m.

The duration of a golfswing is a lot shorter than a sprint though, so swinging a driver would be like firing out the blocks for the first 3-4 strides, and then stopping.

Dibby

Assistant Pro
Visit site
Just a digression, but it randomly crossed my mind, there is so much focus on the buggy, but potentially if painkillers have been prescribed, they may be on the WADA banned list, which golf now adheres to, as it's an Olympic sport!

Might have to tip off UKADA if you win! ;) You might even get to experience the joy of someone watching you pee in a cup, whilst someone watches the person watching you pee in a cup, just to make sure they're watching properly!

Obviously, the second line is being facetious, but it's interesting that there is so much focus on the buggy, and the potential banned substance issue isn't even considered. In this case, I think it's unlikely, but for example Codeine in on the WADA monitoring list, which means they are seeing if it should be banned, and there were (this was a couple of years ago when I checked) some versions of Lemsip on the banned list. I bet there are many golfers out there who have played a comp whilst taking Lemsip or Codeine.

PJ87

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Just a digression, but it randomly crossed my mind, there is so much focus on the buggy, but potentially if painkillers have been prescribed, they may be on the WADA banned list, which golf now adheres to, as it's an Olympic sport!

Might have to tip off UKADA if you win! ;) You might even get to experience the joy of someone watching you pee in a cup, whilst someone watches the person watching you pee in a cup, just to make sure they're watching properly!

Obviously, the second line is being facetious, but it's interesting that there is so much focus on the buggy, and the potential banned substance issue isn't even considered. In this case, I think it's unlikely, but for example Codeine in on the WADA monitoring list, which means they are seeing if it should be banned, and there were (this was a couple of years ago when I checked) some versions of Lemsip on the banned list. I bet there are many golfers out there who have played a comp whilst taking Lemsip or Codeine.

How many golfers are on steroids and cociane

Comp golfers aren’t tested so it doesn’t actually matter

Dibby

Assistant Pro
Visit site
How many golfers are on steroids and cociane

Comp golfers aren’t tested so it doesn’t actually matter

Are you saying cheating doesn't matter if you don't get caught?

Not being tested, doesn't mean the rules don't apply. If I don't count a stroke that nobody saw, is it ok, because nobody saw me breach the rule?

In reality, I don't believe many amateur golfers are gaining a significant advantage to this, but either you play by the rules or you don't. You can't ignore the rules that you disagree with, just because you know you can get away with them.

PJ87

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Are you saying cheating doesn't matter if you don't get caught?

Not being tested, doesn't mean the rules don't apply. If I don't count a stroke that nobody saw, is it ok, because nobody saw me breach the rule?

In reality, I don't believe many amateur golfers are gaining a significant advantage to this, but either you play by the rules or you don't. You can't ignore the rules that you disagree with, just because you know you can get away with them.

No it means the rules don’t apply

Amateur golfers are not bound by drug rules in relation to things like lemsip

Dibby

Assistant Pro
Visit site
No it means the rules don’t apply

Amateur golfers are not bound by drug rules in relation to things like lemsip

Not true at all.

England Golf said:
We’re committed to tackling doping and promoting the World Anti-Doping Code.

Our anti-doping programme helps us maintain the integrity of golf and protect the health and rights of players.

The code applies at all levels of golf for women, girls, men and boys. This includes players in our performance programmes, competitors in our championships and events, and club golfers.

The bolding is mine for emphasis.

Source - England Golf

Dibby

Assistant Pro
Visit site
If they don’t test you then it isn’t in force

No proof

Did you even read the pdf?

Failing a test is a rule violation, but so is:

Using, or attempting to use, a banned substance or method

No mention of getting caught.

So back to my first response to you, you are saying it is ok to cheat if you don't get caught.

Noone saw me take that stroke, so if I don't count it, then it is ok?
Noone saw me drop a ball in the rough, because I couldn't find my original, fine because there is no proof?

PJ87

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Did you even read the pdf?

Failing a test is a rule violation, but so is:

No mention of getting caught.

So back to my first response to you, you are saying it is ok to cheat if you don't get caught.

Noone saw me take that stroke, so if I don't count it, then it is ok?
Noone saw me drop a ball in the rough, because I couldn't find my original, fine because there is no proof?

Would you expect someone to be disqualified if before the comp they went to the entry team and said I’ve taken banned lemsip today

I would expect them to be laughed at and told not to worry.