Morecambe & Silverdale GCs

slowhand

Head Pro
Visit site
Has anyone played either of these 2 courses? Next month my son has his open water scuba qualification at Caernwray, and I will be having to chaperone, so I thought whilst he's in the water, I can pop and play 18 holes each day. Was just wondering what they courses and clubs were like. Are they welcoming to visitors, especially ones on their own? How difficult/hilly are the courses? Anything or anywhere else I should consider?

Old Colner

Club Champion
Visit site
I have played both, both in Opens, enjoyed both places, preference is for Morecambe though, thought the crossing fairways at Silverdale was a little dangerous thogh our senior section rave about it.
As for others, I have heard good things about Heysham and Seascale (maybe too far asway) is supposed to be very good, holds up very well in the winter apparently.

D

Deleted member 3432

Morecambe, always enjoyed it.

Silverdale is on the Mickey Mouse side of quirky to be enjoyable in my opinion.

tugglesf239

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
I’d say silverdale is great fun to be honest.

Peculiar holes that made me smile as opposed to getting annoyed.

Worth ticking off the list.

I’ve not played Morecambe thou sorry

bluewolf

Money List Winner
Visit site
Has anyone played either of these 2 courses? Next month my son has his open water scuba qualification at Caernwray, and I will be having to chaperone, so I thought whilst he's in the water, I can pop and play 18 holes each day. Was just wondering what they courses and clubs were like. Are they welcoming to visitors, especially ones on their own? How difficult/hilly are the courses? Anything or anywhere else I should consider?
Slightly off topic, but why would you not stay and see him do his Qualification dives? (not a criticism, just wondering). Capernwray has a great set up and is a lovely place to sit with a coffee/cake and watch the puddle jumpers lug their kit out of the water. You might even see the sturgeon surfacing near the shallow platforms.

3offTheTee

Tour Rookie
Visit site
Have played them both several times. Morecambe is better, great Clubhouse and food. Quite short and no par 5‘s but plenty par 3’s. Silverdale I would avoid as I find it dangerous with holes crossing over.

Nearby the best course easily is Lancaster, not too hilly and Heysham which is long and flatter than all 3. Also consider Kirkby Lonsdale which is usually in good condition? Playing in November Lancaster followed by Heysham are likely to be the driest

slowhand

Head Pro
Visit site
Slightly off topic, but why would you not stay and see him do his Qualification dives? (not a criticism, just wondering). Capernwray has a great set up and is a lovely place to sit with a coffee/cake and watch the puddle jumpers lug their kit out of the water. You might even see the sturgeon surfacing near the shallow platforms.
Not sure I'd see much, since he'll be down around 20 metres. Plus he'll be doing 2 dives each day that that's pretty much all day being there, and there's only so much coffee one can drink in a café. Much rather get out and take advantage of being in the area to play a couple of courses I'd otherwise probably never visit.

HeftyHacker

Visit site
You'd probably see more than you think. The water in the quarry is absolutely crystal clear!

+1 for kirkby Lonsdale for me, I've played it a couple of times now, neither in summer, and the course has been in great condition both times.

Crazyface

Tour Winner
Visit site
Both really friendly courses. Both are hilly. Silverdale is quirky.

Hilly??? You mustn't play many proper "hilly" courses. Morecambe is a cracking course with lovely greens. Lancaster is great too. Wide open fairways to smash the ball down. Watch out for the ninth it magically hides golf balls when you take on the corner. ?

3offTheTee

Tour Rookie
Visit site
Hilly??? You mustn't play many proper "hilly" courses. Morecambe is a cracking course with lovely greens. Lancaster is great too. Wide open fairways to smash the ball down. Watch out for the ninth it magically hides golf balls when you take on the corner. ?
CF. If you take on the 9th to cut off the corner you will have around 280 yards carry over a stream. This is the reason it is S.I. 1!

bluewolf

Money List Winner
Visit site
Not sure I'd see much, since he'll be down around 20 metres. Plus he'll be doing 2 dives each day that that's pretty much all day being there, and there's only so much coffee one can drink in a café. Much rather get out and take advantage of being in the area to play a couple of courses I'd otherwise probably never visit.
No worries. Of the 2 courses I'd probably play Morecambe. Silverdale is good in places, with a couple of cracking holes, but has a long stretch of holes that are clearly later additions that are just mown into a farmers field (I might be being a bit harsh, but that's what it felt like).

With regards to the diving quals, it's unlikely that any of the 4 dives will be longer than 45 minutes, so the vast majority of the day will be surface time. Although they will probably spend most of that time in the on-site classroom talking about deco profiles, bottom times and gas preservation strategies ;). I love that stuff, but I think I'd probably be at the golf course if I wasn't the one in the water!

Crazyface

Tour Winner
Visit site
CF. If you take on the 9th to cut off the corner you will have around 280 yards carry over a stream. This is the reason it is S.I. 1!

Just re-read your post. Edit.... No it's not. It's a flick with a wedge. The wife hit the green with her second shot.

Yeah I know, and that's why I did it. I knew a still wouldn't reach the stream and would then have a little flick on with a wedge. As I was playing well I thought I'd have a go and hit a perfect drive over the corner, but the two women, who should have been watching grrrrrr, were stood gassing on the top of the hill grrrrrr. So my ball was never found grrrrrrr.

Vikingman

Head Pro
Visit site
Played both, prefer Morecambe but only played Silverdale in depths of winter which didn't help.

In distance Morecambe is short at around 5,700 yards but it doesn't feel short, well certainly not to me.

Par of 67, no par 5's, up and down in places and from memory a slope of 120 which I couldn't believe.

chellie

Tour Winner
Visit site
Have played them both several times. Morecambe is better, great Clubhouse and food. Quite short and no par 5‘s but plenty par 3’s. Silverdale I would avoid as I find it dangerous with holes crossing over.

Nearby the best course easily is Lancaster, not too hilly and Heysham which is long and flatter than all 3. Also consider Kirkby Lonsdale which is usually in good condition? Playing in November Lancaster followed by Heysham are likely to be the driest

Everyone I know always says about Lancaster being a wet course. I've only played it once and won't rush back to it.

splashtryagain

Q-School Graduate
Visit site
Play Morecambe!
I base this on having been a member at both for many years (also Kirby for 3).
Morecambe plays well in winter.

Bratty

Princess Pouty (Queen of Fish Lips)
Visit site
Silverdale is great and I love it, but they may be off mats now, so check. Morecambe still edges it for me out of the two.

If you start feeling guilty about leaving him for too long, Casterton is a great little 9 hole course! ?