Morecambe & Silverdale GCs

Backache

Assistant Pro
Visit site
Slightly off topic, but why would you not stay and see him do his Qualification dives? (not a criticism, just wondering). Capernwray has a great set up and is a lovely place to sit with a coffee/cake and watch the puddle jumpers lug their kit out of the water. You might even see the sturgeon surfacing near the shallow platforms.
Never thought scuba diving was a spectator sport, watching paint dry may be an alternative.

2blue

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Has anyone played either of these 2 courses? Next month my son has his open water scuba qualification at Caernwray, and I will be having to chaperone, so I thought whilst he's in the water, I can pop and play 18 holes each day. Was just wondering what they courses and clubs were like. Are they welcoming to visitors, especially ones on their own? How difficult/hilly are the courses? Anything or anywhere else I should consider?
Played Morcombe many years ago & enjoyed it.... Kirby Lonsdale is also a real treat... good luck with it Michael.

The Lion

Visit site
The best of Silverdale is awesome; some brilliant, quirky holes on the back nine, plus a few on the front. It was a 9 hole course, before being extended into a downland style field. It's quite hilly, but well worth a game when in the area. I'd highly recommend it.

Morecambe is decent, routed in an undulating parkland / downland style, with some good views over Morecambe Bay. I didn't enjoy it so much on my club's tour this summer gone, partly because I didn't play well.

As you have a few days there, I'd strongly suggest playing Windermere and Kendal (in that order) too, certainly instead of Morecambe. They're maybe 30-40 minutes away, but both offer cracking moorland / upland golf with some unique holes and amazing views of the Lakes. Slightly further afield (1 hour drive from where you'll be), on Walney Island is the true hidden gem of Furness, a cracking links no-one has ever heard of. It's brilliant, and a lot of fun, and comes highly recommended if you fancy a good day out.

Feel free to inbox me if you'd like any more info or recommendations; there's at least one more absolute corker not far away I'd share with you, and no it isn't Silloth!

Crow

Crow Person
Visit site
Morecambe is a very nice course, suitable for play with vintage clubs too.

I'd strongly recommend Fleetwood as well, a nice links course and again suitable for play with vintage clubs too.