Fylde Clubs

SteveJay

Head Pro
Visit site
Hi all,

I posted a similar thread about 2 years ago now, when first contemplating a move to the Fylde area and sought some advice on courses/memberships. The advice i got was really helpful but I am after a bit of an update as I have now moved to the area. Was wondering if any members on here could answer a couple specific questions?

I am on the waiting list for Fairhaven, which I have played. Heard it is unlikely I will get in in 2020, and although my first choice initially, I am concerned that it is a bit too far away. Am also on the waiting list at St Annes Old Links, which I haven't played (still waiting but more optimistic I may get in this year as they did offer me 5 days before I moved up, which I had to decline). Have heard a few rumours that SAOL can be difficult to get on for members due to visitors and opens/comps - anyone know if this is true?

I had ruled out Fleetwood but we have actually bought a house in Thornton-Cleveleys so that would be closer to me, and there is no joining fee I believe. having walked past it with the dogs it seems quite a bleak place though :).

I have looked at a few temporary options pending getting in to Fairhaven or SAOL, one without a joining fee, but a lot of those courses don't seem to winter well (Staining; Poulton, Stanley Park). Other permanent option is North Shore, which again is close, but am not 100% convinced its for me. The rain since I have moved up North makes me wonder if one of the links courses would be the best option! Also looking for somewhere friendly that is welcoming to new members that don't know any existing members, but hopefully that will be the case for all those being considered!

Thanks in advance for any advice.

bradleywedge

Visit site
Hi Steve, Have you looked at Herons Reach at the De Vere's hotel (opposite Stanley Park, Blackpool). I was a member there a few years ago. Very nice course, at least it was last time I played it. I know what you mean about the courses being a bit winter unfriendly, but I think this is down to exceptionally heavy rain we have had in the area.

A golf club you could look at also is Preston Golf Club, about 15 miles away from you, check their website, playing winter rules at the moment, but I play there regularly with a member, it's a very good course.

SteveJay

Head Pro
Visit site
Hi Steve, Have you looked at Herons Reach at the De Vere's hotel (opposite Stanley Park, Blackpool). I was a member there a few years ago. Very nice course, at least it was last time I played it. I know what you mean about the courses being a bit winter unfriendly, but I think this is down to exceptionally heavy rain we have had in the area.

A golf club you could look at also is Preston Golf Club, about 15 miles away from you, check their website, playing winter rules at the moment, but I play there regularly with a member, it's a very good course.

Thanks Bradley. Yes, had considered Herons Reach and have walked around it with our dogs a bit. Would prefer a members club rather than a resort type really hence looking at the ones I mentioned. I do know someone at Preston but haven't played there yet, but was really hoping to get somewhere closer to home.