Monahan Burn After The RBC Canadian Open

GuyInLyon

Visit site
From PGA Tour Commissioner, Jay Monahan:

“I would ask any player that has left, or any player that would ever consider leaving: ‘Have you ever had to apologise for being a member of the PGA Tour?’”

(from The Guardian)

Mandofred

Visit site
Monahan was the ultimate crap interview. No answers. Tries to push the attention somewhere else. The PGA is a power hungry entity.....like any big business. If the whole system collapses...fine with me.

Mel Smooth

Hacker
Visit site
That's how desperate the situation is right now for the PGA Tour, I watched it several times. Monahan has been punching down for weeks, and this lowered the bar even further.

The guy will be gone in 12 months.

Backsticks

Assistant Pro
Visit site
That's how desperate the situation is right now for the PGA Tour, I watched it several times. Monahan has been punching down for weeks, and this lowered the bar even further.

To be fair to him, he hasnt done anything wrong. Just another guy turned up with a nice shiny ATM dispensing million dollar bills to anyone who wants to play in his house. Its hard to beat that.

D

Deleted member 15344

What’s Monahan done wrong beyond protecting his own tour ?

Do you expect him to just roll over and let someone with lots of money just get what they want ?

Mel Smooth

Hacker
Visit site
To be fair to him, he hasnt done anything wrong. Just another guy turned up with a nice shiny ATM dispensing million dollar bills to anyone who wants to play in his house. Its hard to beat that.

So why has he suspended the LIV players from his tour, how is that helping the PGA Tour? Monahan has split golf, not LIV.

D

Deleted member 1147

So why has he suspended the LIV players from his tour, how is that helping the PGA Tour? Monahan has split golf, not LIV.
I imagine it’s because that’s what their contracts stated.
Join a tour based mainly in North America and you’ll be liable for sanctions.

Mel Smooth

Hacker
Visit site

Or is it becase he tried to call their bluff, and said there'd be consequences, and when they still went to LIV, he had given himself no other options?

He's the commisioner, he runs the show, and if the PGA Tour is weakened by his actions, and it undoubtedly is, it's on him.

And that response to the 9/11 attacks yesterday, come on?? All he he is doing is opening up the argument for more whataboutery.

Whatabout oil, whatabout arms, whatabout 9/11.....

D

Deleted member 15344

Or is it becase he tried to call their bluff, and said there'd be consequences, and when they still went to LIV, he had given himself no other options?

He's the commisioner, he runs the show, and if the PGA Tour is weakened by his actions, and it undoubtedly is, it's on him.

And that response to the 9/11 attacks yesterday, come on?? All he he is doing is opening up the argument for more whataboutery.

Whatabout oil, whatabout arms, whatabout 9/11.....

So he told the players that if they played in an unsanctioned event they would face punishment as per the rules - and guess what they were punished as per the rules

As commissioner he is required to run the Tour by the rules - it’s as simple as that.

The PGA tour isn’t weaker by losing a few players on the downward in their careers

Mel Smooth

Hacker
Visit site
So he told the players that if they played in an unsanctioned event they would face punishment as per the rules - and guess what they were punished as per the rules

As commissioner he is required to run the Tour by the rules - it’s as simple as that.

The PGA tour isn’t weaker by losing a few players on the downward in their careers

Bryson leaving the PGA Tour doesn't make it weaker?

I know you don't actually believe that.

And before you tell me about players on a downward spiral, so is Tiger, so if he left the tour, I guess you'd apply the same logic?

D

Deleted member 1147

And before you tell me about players on a downward spiral, so is Tiger, so if he left the tour, I guess you'd apply the same logic?
Not for me…I’d miss Reed more.
In fact whilst Dechambeau’s been off injured I have been quite happy to not have to listen to the usual crap about him.

D

Deleted member 15344

No I don’t think BDC leaving makes the PGA tour weaker ?

Can’t remember the last time he was even playing because of his injury and the tour has been fine - in fact more enjoyable without all his nonsense

And Woods hasn’t been playing on tour regularly for a while now so when he does play it’s a bonus for the Woods fans

The future of the PGA tour sits with the likes of Rory , JT , Schuaffle, Spieth etc and then you have the likes of Smith , Scheffler , Zalatoris coming to the front as well

The recent Canadian Open showed how a golf event really should be - outstanding quality and drama - money can’t buy that

BubbaP

Occasional Player of Golf
Visit site
I really enjoyed the final round at RBC, even if it was on the same week as a LIV.

I did notice that Rory earned 2 fewer ranking points than his win in 2019.
Significant, maybe not.
Coincidence, perhaps.

Depreston

Club Champion
Visit site

I’m sure Greg Norman went to the PGA to say what he wanted to do and if they would cooperate and didn’t poke the bear by going directly to the players with bagfuls of cash

Blue in Munich

Crocked Professional Yeti Impersonator
Visit site

How has Monahan split the tour; he didn't create the alternative choice, LIV did, so LIV has split it.

Isn't it time you came clean and told us how much Greg is paying you?

RRidges

Visit site
Because that's the way PGA Tour rules work.
His view is that he's protecting the PGA Tour!
And no...It's LIV that has split golf!