mobile phone question

vig

Tour Winner
Visit site
I managed to give my 30 days notice to "3" on Tuesday. 36 minutes it took talking to Mumbai.
I now have my PAC code and fancy a new phone.

My options are
HTC touch HD (current front runner)
LG Renoir
Samsung Tocco

Anyone use any of these OR is there a Mobile phone "expert" out there that can recommend one or something else not in the list.
I fancy a touch screen and will continue with the moby internet access so want one that I can see the screen.
my current phone N95 is crap for surfing, the screen is too small

haplesshacker

Money List Winner
mid-life-crisis-man.blogspot.co.uk
Vig.

The only thing I would suggest is to draw up a short list of what you 'need' your phone to do, and what you would 'like' it to do. I do this everytime I want to buy something 'techie'.

For example a decent camera with a flash might be important to you. But the facility to sync with your calender and contacts in Outlook seamlessly might not be so important.

You get the drift.

Once you've drawn up your short list, just search the web for phones that have those things that you need / want. Or alternatively come back on here and ask for more specific advice.

Seeing as I don't know what it is you need or want, I'm afraid I can't help you out.

Though personally. I'd go for the HTC HD. Bigger screen than my Diamond, and a bigger screen is far better for 'surfing'.

abush

Hacker
Visit site
I have the LG renoir, the only good thing is the 8mp camera, but this is let down by a poor camera. The touch interface is slow and inaccurate especially when using the web brower and inputting text. I

f possible see if you can try out an iphone, as i have been very impressed with them, so much so that i have pre-ordered the new iphone for tomo.

Spoff

Tour Rookie
Visit site
I've got a HTC Magic (Vodafone only) arriving tomorrow.

Will let you know about that over the weekend - of the available downloadable apps I know of there is a few GPS range finders and a turn by turn sat nav available.

Adrena1in

Challenge Tour Pro
Visit site
I managed to give my 30 days notice to "3" on Tuesday. 36 minutes it took talking to Mumbai.
You just wait, they'll call you time and time again offering you lower and lower contracts. I came off my Pay Monthly contract with them about 7 or 8 months ago, but it took at least 2 months to get it sorted, and they went from offering me a £25 per month contract down to £5 per month for the same contract! I refused out of principle...spending about £3 a month PAYG, and they knew it.

P.I.T.A. they were!! ;)

slugger

Tour Rookie
Visit site
Vig.

The only thing I would suggest is to draw up a short list of what you 'need' your phone to do, and what you would 'like' it to do. I do this everytime I want to buy something 'techie'.

Though personally. I'd go for the HTC HD. Bigger screen than my Diamond, and a bigger screen is far better for 'surfing'.

Now, i've had my HTC Touch Diamond 2 for a day now and i'd recommend that to you for two very good reasons.

Have a look around on this forum for "Freecaddie" reviews. I have it installed and it's working perfectly. It's a free rangefinder and you can download as many courses as you like for it for free.

And... The Touch HD isn't officially upgradeable to Windows Mobile 6.5 when i comes out in a few months time. The Touch Diamond 2 is and will receive a free upgrade once it's out. The diamond 2 also doesn't feel as big in your hands, feels more user friendly, imo.

More reasons; The phone is quality. I have compared it to friends iphones and it's build quality is better, the user interface is just as usable - apart from when you need to get into moving files around in the windows software - but it can do a whole lot more that the iphone can't do.

I almost went for the LG Viewty Smart or Arena, but at the end of the day, they are just phones with the usual features dressed up in a pretty UI (user interface). Sure they've got a better camera, but i have a DSLR and a very good compact camera already. Very nice phones, but all they are is a phone that would have cost the same as the device that i ended up with that can do so much more than just a phone!

review here... i'd thoroughly recommend one.

http://www.reghardware.co.uk/2009/04/23/review_smartphone_htc_touch_diamond_2/

TonyN

Money List Winner
Visit site
The new Iphone is out today. the Iphone S. It has better hard/software than mine and a better camera, it can now take videos too.

The new software has provided loads of new features like cut,copy and paste etc. The ability to drop pictures into text messages or snap and send mid conversation.

The new one also has a built in compass etc and shows you on the maps your exact location and the way your facing.

Sure you already know about the thousands of apps available.

vig

Tour Winner
Visit site
i've bit the bullet and ordered the HTC touch HD.

I've also had about a dozen calls from 3 customer services.
Next one I get, i'm going to ask them for a lamb bhuna