Moaning at Golf Clubs

HomerJSimpson

Hall of Famer
Visit site
It isn't as though the club doesn't tell you in advance. There is a dirty great board outside the entrance to the locker room, start times posted on the noticeboard inside and on the website and they send an e-mail alert every month to tell you what fixtures are on.

My only thought on this is that it could be new members who haven't quite got to grips with how it all works yet but common sense would say have a word in the pro shop and find out when the tee was likely to be free and then go out. As Hawkeye says the tee was free and to be honest on comp days at Ascot the course tends to be millionairres golf in the afternoons so they would have had the place to themselves

These weren't new members Homer, one of them was an ex-captain. They knew the comp was on, which is why I couldn't understand what their gripe was.

Spoke with the VC at the match today. Seems to be something to do with a new rule introducing a gap between the end of the mens comp times of an hour to allow some of those wanting to play social golf to get out in the morning. After that the womens comp had the tee time booked and you could then all go out either in the roll up for the comp or for a friendly knock.

It seems that this golden hour got mobbed and they couldn't get out before the womens comp. Cue much angst and consternation as the women went to the front (rightly) and left a lot of angry men didn't like having to play second fiddle to the ladies and have to follow them. It seems words were exchanged they stropped off and when they came back the normal big greedie that roll up and go off had paid their entry money for the comp and rocked up onto the first tee.

Clearly the VC has only heard this 2nd hand and I only got his version so I don't know the full ins and outs but it seems that this "golden hour" to try and get social golfers away is the issue and going to cause problems. My argument is that you know full well that the tees are booked and if you are a regular you know when the roll up goes out as its always the same time. Either enter the comp and guarantee a time, join the roll up whether you want to play the comp or not or if you really want to play specifically with your mates, go out later when you know the course is emptier. Doesn't take much working out surely

Wouldn't it all be solved with tee booking at busy times...?

It is sort of. When the medal or stableford is on the tee is booked from 7.30 until 10.00. You can choose to enter that part of the comp and get a guaranteed start time. It use to be that from 10.00 until 10.45 the ladies had the tee booked for their comps. After that you could roll up in the comp or play socially and just get in the queue on the tee. The fly in the ointment would appear to be this new golden hour designed to let non comp players get out at a reasonably early time in the morning on a peak day. The problem seems to be that a) this hasn't been broadcast properly b) people are using it to roll up in the comp c) the roll up people are just mobbing the tee in greater numbers as the ladies go out as they've already had their times pushed back and so it makes it harder still for social golfers to get their game

I can see what the club are trying to do but the bottom line as far as I'm concerned is simple. As regular members you know that comp days are going to be cocka with players going out either booked or roll up and so if you aren't interested in playing the comp (and again I've no issue with that either) then you need to look at the timings and find a slot that doesn't clash. If the group in question had had some nous and gone off about 9.15 from the 10th they'd have got the front nine in and probably missed a lot of the pile up at the 1st and been ahead of the first group coming round in the comp

To be honest for 95% of members it works perfectly and I think a lot of the angst has come from these groups not getting away before the tee was reserved for the ladies comp and them marching to the head of the queue and going off. The fact that for the majority of the time you can just rock up and play is a great convenience and I'd hate for the club to introduce any sort of booking system.

Doon frae Troon

Ryder Cup Winner
Visit site
Do any clubs still have suggestion books?

One of my old clubs had one and it was always a bit of light relief to read the suggestions at the end of a comittee meeting. Sent us home with a smile on our faces.

richart

Major Champion
Visit site
Do any clubs still have suggestion books?

One of my old clubs had one and it was always a bit of light relief to read the suggestions at the end of a comittee meeting. Sent us home with a smile on our faces.

Mine does, and the majority of the suggestions seem to be for the benefit of a few, rather than the club as a whole.

StrangelyBrown

Tour Winner
Visit site
Do people actually like moaning just for the sake of it?

Yep, we've got people currently moaning about groupon vouchers, even though they average something like 3 times per day out of a hundred. Some old fuds think that it's too much, even though it's brought in £20k and 4 new members. I was actually asked to sign a petition against it, I told him to poke it.

And I was personally moaned at yesterday because I had the audacity to take 3hrs and 45 minutes to play a 3 ball in a medal.

I hope yer next sh1te's a hedgehog.

USER1999

Grand Slam Winner
Visit site
Our comp days are rammed. First tee time is seven, and the every 8 minutes til it's too late to get round in day light. This would solve your problems. Why don't people play comps at your place? Ours are stuffed so much I can't get a tee time?

Birchy

Money List Winner
Visit site
Our comp days are rammed. First tee time is seven, and the every 8 minutes til it's too late to get round in day light. This would solve your problems. Why don't people play comps at your place? Ours are stuffed so much I can't get a tee time?

Similar at ours. On saturdays tee times are all booked from 7am - 5pm and usually 90% booked up with players. If you dont play comps then theres no point being a 7 day member imo.

On the moaning situation i heard one old chopper in a winter comp earlier in the season moaning that the course down the road is better (its not) and that its cheaper. If i werent a newish member trying to mix in with everybody i would of told him to go there then! Miserable bugger! Needless to say he has rejoined our club for this season!

HawkeyeMS

Ryder Cup Winner
Visit site
Spoke with the VC at the match today. Seems to be something to do with a new rule introducing a gap between the end of the mens comp times of an hour to allow some of those wanting to play social golf to get out in the morning. After that the womens comp had the tee time booked and you could then all go out either in the roll up for the comp or for a friendly knock.

It seems that this golden hour got mobbed and they couldn't get out before the womens comp. Cue much angst and consternation as the women went to the front (rightly) and left a lot of angry men didn't like having to play second fiddle to the ladies and have to follow them. It seems words were exchanged they stropped off and when they came back the normal big greedie that roll up and go off had paid their entry money for the comp and rocked up onto the first tee.

Clearly the VC has only heard this 2nd hand and I only got his version so I don't know the full ins and outs but it seems that this "golden hour" to try and get social golfers away is the issue and going to cause problems. My argument is that you know full well that the tees are booked and if you are a regular you know when the roll up goes out as its always the same time. Either enter the comp and guarantee a time, join the roll up whether you want to play the comp or not or if you really want to play specifically with your mates, go out later when you know the course is emptier. Doesn't take much working out surely

I just think people like to moan TBH. As I said, 12:05 the tee was empty, if they'd got off their arses instead of whinging they couldn't gt a game they would have been fine

MegaSteve

Tour Winner
Visit site
Having a moan is part of our culture is it not...

Usually no harm is meant or intended...

There is usually a rant [next level up from a moan ;)] or three to be found on the forum is there not?