Mizuno JPX 850 driver testing opportunity... the magnificent 7 are...

Liverbirdie

Ryder Cup Winner
Visit site
taking an age uploading. videos are about 25mins each. should be ready by the time the next driver comes out. :rofl:

yesterday was just a session to find out what the optimal settings would be and if the shaft is suitable. it will be a couple of weeks till they have the full range of shafts available for a proper custom fit.

Are you saying I use up loads of pixels? :angry:;)

Liverbirdie

Ryder Cup Winner
Visit site
Fitting is pretty much essential for this club. Without the numerical data it would be very easy to set the driver up completely wrong for yourself.

Before we went into the fitting we mixed up our drivers by mistake. Pete couldn't hit anything but low slices about head height. 7.5 degrees of loft and weight low and forward didn't work for him at all. He hit about 15 drives and couldn't work out what was wrong. :rofl:

Err, so did you.

It was me that noticed the mistake....

garyinderry

Ryder Cup Winner
Visit site
Err, so did you.

It was me that noticed the mistake....

I wasn't hitting those shockers though. it had you rattled so you made me go first with the fitting. :rofl:

the videos are taking forever to load. there must be a quicker way but I don't know how. its just doing its ever so slow thing. it has been for hours. I will upload your video tonight and post it in the morning.

garyinderry

Ryder Cup Winner
Visit site
sorry for the delay on the videos. as I said they are taking an age to upload. petes stalled over night so I will try and post the link and it should be ready in 435mins at last count. :eek:

ill post the ones that are ready.

intro to the fitting

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iqAK9z62L5I

I went first so here is my loft fitting. straight into the sun. couldn't see a thing unfortunately. currently being flipped in editor.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nNpmEDs9D64

après fitting thanks

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=s5KDJ-y2Fn0

pete's fitting video

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EAGhIMTYc1c&feature=youtu.be

pete's après fitting video

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xwndDVA7ENo

good mornings fun and big thanks to Dave at True Fit Warrington, Golf Monthly for selecting us for the drivers and Mizuno for supplying them.

enjoy :)

bluewolf

Money List Winner
Visit site
Great vids Gaz lad.. Very professional looking.. Is this you and LB's attempt to become vloggers? Are we going to be seeing more vids from the course? If so, tell LB that horizontal stripes are not his friend at all... Go vertical big man.. :D

garyinderry

Ryder Cup Winner
Visit site
lol, I have no input into his cloths of choice.

plan to head back down when they get the shafts in at the end of the month. I tried a low launching shaft before we left off camera and the results were a no brainer. 10 yards more carry and 20 on roll out. to say I am excited to get back down there would be an understatement. I will get that day on video too for the craic.

I go for a few different camera angles on pete's just to keep it fresh. was slightly unsure how the lighting would be as we were straight into the sun. came out better than I expected.

course videos in the future. as usual the big man beat me 2 up later in the day. he invited me to his for dinner and a few beers to watch the match. that went well then I proceeded to beat him 6-1 in pool in his own back yard. don't listen to him when he says I play silly rules. we did half his and half mine. :cool:

Karl102

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Loved the vids chaps... The club looks great! Hope there doing a job for you. Will you fudge lb's settings before next weekend ;)

Liverbirdie

Ryder Cup Winner
Visit site
Thought I'd put it here also, along with the other ones:-

Mizuno clubs seem to have a "following" in the general golfing community that is sometimes devotional, and sometimes bordering on obsessive/delusional, or thats how it seems, to us mere mortals who dont "get it".

In 25 years of playing golf, I've never owned anything "Mizuno". Well apart from a cracking tracksuit in the early 90's, and they should never be allowed in clubhouses - should they! I've not even swung a mates club, or heard the sound of a crisply struck shot with an MP-something-or-other, so it was all new ground to me.

The looks - quite good actually, which, as much as the purists say a club shouldn't be judged on, lets face it we all do. Ok not the tall blonde swede in the short skirt rhythmically swaying to je t'aime, but maybe the dusky brummie lass pogo-ing to "pretty vacant", but with a cheeky glint in her eye. Nice mixture of azure and black slate colours, with go faster stripes adding to the "look". Headcover - anyone really bothered? A nice white fujikura stiff shaft, however,completes the ensemble.

MIZ-information - There is a central mizuno sign on the crown which is good for alignment, as well as fade/draw markings above the weight ports to help when it comes to experimenting with flight "biasses". The shaft hosel also has markings to help to pick which loft you would prefer. They also have "upright" lofts as well as the standard ones, in case people think that the face is turned in too much - a novel idea.

Adjustability - So quick and easy to change the loft, unscrew,move and tighten the weight ports, although you will need the booklet to help with regards to checking out all the different options that they can be set to. I've got a Callaway adjustable driver, but what takes this one stage further is the ability to move the weight forward/back in the head.

What matters - Sadly, for the first 6 weeks of our budding relationship I was injured, so we looked longingly at each other across the bedroom, but mother was in the room. As soon as I was partially recovered, I couldn't wait to rip of that headcover, and get at the little minx. Early fumblings proved unsuccessful - was it me, was it her, maybe the comparisons to former beaus were hampering us.

I tried everything set to neutral to start with, but even with this I was still scoring well, and the drives were mainly hitting fairways, but there was definitely no "wow" factor. The drives were ok, the sound off the face was dull, the flight was low and not exactly soaring off the face, but the roll out was veeeeeeery long, so still hope for the future.

I then managed to get to a driving range and was able to work on a few different settings, with the weight moved back and set to a draw bias, which seemed to improve it. Still not "made up" with everything (but not at the put it on Ebay point yet - shame that man).

Fit as a fiddle - Just 2 nights before the fitting I was starting to stripe it at the driving range, but I still couldn't compare it to my old driver for distance. On the day of the fitting me and a fellow winner (he's from Derry.....) were warming up for 20 minutes and hitting all manner of poor shots, and we couldn't work out why, until I checked the loft setting and noticed that we'd inadvertently picked up the other person's little minx (happens a lot in Cheshire, apparentlyimage: http://forums.golf-monthly.co.uk/images/smilies/winkers.gif
;)). His preference was 8.5 degrees at neutral, mine was 10.5 at draw, so it just goes to show how a fitting is important with these type of drivers to get the maximum out of them.

Tale of the tape - So during a 45 minute fitting, we tried my old driver, the Mizuno at neutral then to what the fitter felt was better for me (and it worked). He also come up with a second option, which I think is important, as we all want to change things if we go through a bad run of form, so good to also see what a second (close) setting could be. I was back to my slight fade (stop laughing in the NW) albeit highly repeatableimage: http://forums.golf-monthly.co.uk/images/smilies/thumbsup.gif
:thup:.

I've only had one round since and as the round went on I was holding back less and was really getting it out there, and hitting fairways or the first cut in the main. I picked up a tip from the fitter about hitting it on the up, so will also put that into action.

The verdict - Due to my thumb injury I still cant hit it fully, but can I see the club staying in the bag for the coming months - a resounding yes. Hitting it injury-free, on summer fairways with that long roll out is something I'm looking forward to seeing. I'll only be able to check the length when I play my own course again, but sadly that wont be until March, so that will be the ultimate litmus test of length. However, for now, the bad shots are better and its hard to hit a woeful one with this club.

Sorry I couldn't compare to my old driver as much on length, due to limited playing, but I'll update in due course.

Also a big thank you to Dave at True fit golf in Widnes for the fitting, I've had two fittings there and they've both been spot on.

Here's Gary "3 angle" Derry's video of my fitting if you are insanely bored.........or if your a dusky brummie.image: http://forums.golf-monthly.co.uk/images/smilies/tongues_out.gif
:p

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EAGh...ature=youtu.be

Massive thanks to Mizuno and GM finally, for this fantastic opportunity.image: http://forums.golf-monthly.co.uk/images/smilies/thumbsup.gif
:thup:
Read more at http://forums.golf-monthly.co.uk/sh...h-their-new-JPX850-driver#sw4ldQKWoi48mBzF.99

garyinderry

Ryder Cup Winner
Visit site
Garyinderry's Review - JPX850 Driver

Finally Mizuno have a driver to compete with the big boys. SLDR has dominated the tour while Titleist and Ping have put up a good fight with their recent offerings but now its Mizuno's turn to flex it's low spin muscle.

It comes in the form of the striking JPX850 model. It is easily their most eye catching design so far. Mizuno know it is good and are not afraid to show it. It is an update on their forward thinking Fasttrack MP 630 model. Sliding weights (cough cough TM), first brought to the fore by Mizuno, coupled with the ability to lower the spin by having some weight forward and low are the driving force in this club. Mizuno may have leaned on TM on this a bit but lets call that a draw.

Anyway, enough history. What we have here is a driver that really does do what it says. There have been lots of claims in the past about adjustability but in my experience the truth is I haven't noticed much difference from one setting to another until I got my hands on this. previously I have adjusted TM's R9 and Titleist's 910 d3 to no great effect. The JPX 850 is a different beast altogether. It is adjustable from 7.5 right up to 11.5 degrees. Trust me when I say this, if you put this on 7.5 you had better be hitting it on the up.

When I first took this club to the range I knew within half an hour that it could be a tinkermans dream. (are you reading this Padraig) I hit all manner of shots and tried every setting I could see in the manual. The change in ballflight was immediately apparent. An adjustable club that does just that! The only thing I wasn't 100% sold on was that it sits square. I have since worked out that the lower lofts sit a touch more open which is slightly reassuring for someone who fears going left. More range visits ensued but a date was set to get this on the launch monitor to find out what setting was best. let the numbers decide. With so many options it would be easy enough to set this up completely wrong. Fitting seemed like the best call.

To cut a long fitting story short it turned out 8.5 loft and the weights in their most forward position was the best. I have also been recommended a stiffer shaft than the stock Orochi. This should lower my launch a touch and coupled with some pretty good spin numbers I am looking at my longest driver yet.

New shaft options are available in the next few weeks. To say I am excited about this would be an understatement. I believe a full fitting is pretty much essential with this if you want to eek out this clubs true potential. As I said, it could be very easy to set this up completely wrong but that is the beauty of it. If you cant tweak it wrong then it would be impossible to tweak it right.

I had wondered how Mizuno could make a driver to fit mid to low handicaps and also the pros alike but it seems with this driver I think they have cracked it. With the ability to move the weights forward and back, spin is at the fitters control. one click and its all changed.

I will wrap it up here and tell you to get the right shaft in this, coupled with the correct loft this driver will be as good if not better than any on the market for quite some time yet.

Mizuno have taken their sweet time with this, IT SHOWS ...

Garyinderry :)

some more goodies winging this way. thanks all @ Golf Monthly & Mizuno ! It has been a pleasure! :)

Liverbirdie

Ryder Cup Winner
Visit site
Garyinderry's Review - JPX850 Driver

Finally Mizuno have a driver to compete with the big boys. SLDR has dominated the tour while Titleist and Ping have put up a good fight with their recent offerings but now its Mizuno's turn to flex it's low spin muscle.

It comes in the form of the striking JPX850 model. It is easily their most eye catching design so far. Mizuno know it is good and are not afraid to show it. It is an update on their forward thinking Fasttrack MP 630 model. Sliding weights (cough cough TM), first brought to the fore by Mizuno, coupled with the ability to lower the spin by having some weight forward and low are the driving force in this club. Mizuno may have leaned on TM on this a bit but lets call that a draw.

Anyway, enough history. What we have here is a driver that really does do what it says. There have been lots of claims in the past about adjustability but in my experience the truth is I haven't noticed much difference from one setting to another until I got my hands on this. previously I have adjusted TM's R9 and Titleist's 910 d3 to no great effect. The JPX 850 is a different beast altogether. It is adjustable from 7.5 right up to 11.5 degrees. Trust me when I say this, if you put this on 7.5 you had better be hitting it on the up.

When I first took this club to the range I knew within half an hour that it could be a tinkermans dream. (are you reading this Padraig) I hit all manner of shots and tried every setting I could see in the manual. The change in ballflight was immediately apparent. An adjustable club that does just that! The only thing I wasn't 100% sold on was that it sits square. I have since worked out that the lower lofts sit a touch more open which is slightly reassuring for someone who fears going left. More range visits ensued but a date was set to get this on the launch monitor to find out what setting was best. let the numbers decide. With so many options it would be easy enough to set this up completely wrong. Fitting seemed like the best call.

To cut a long fitting story short it turned out 8.5 loft and the weights in their most forward position was the best. I have also been recommended a stiffer shaft than the stock Orochi. This should lower my launch a touch and coupled with some pretty good spin numbers I am looking at my longest driver yet.

New shaft options are available in the next few weeks. To say I am excited about this would be an understatement. I believe a full fitting is pretty much essential with this if you want to eek out this clubs true potential. As I said, it could be very easy to set this up completely wrong but that is the beauty of it. If you cant tweak it wrong then it would be impossible to tweak it right.

I had wondered how Mizuno could make a driver to fit mid to low handicaps and also the pros alike but it seems with this driver I think they have cracked it. With the ability to move the weights forward and back, spin is at the fitters control. one click and its all changed.

I will wrap it up here and tell you to get the right shaft in this, coupled with the correct loft this driver will be as good if not better than any on the market for quite some time yet.

Mizuno have taken their sweet time with this, IT SHOWS ...

Garyinderry :)

some more goodies winging this way. thanks all @ Golf Monthly & Mizuno ! It has been a pleasure! :)

That wont win...............;)

Very good review, Gaz.:thup: