Mizuno JPX 850 driver testing opportunity... the magnificent 7 are...

FairwayDodger

Money List Winner
Visit site
Anyone else take their JPX out at the weekend?

Mine had its first full outing on Saturday, with mixed results. My driver testing has been somewhat derailed by a golf lesson that has my game temporarily all over the place so I definitely haven't seen the best of it yet. Hoping I can sort the swing out enough to do some sensible evaluation soon!

garyinderry

Ryder Cup Winner
Visit site
I hit it that much at the range the first week i got it that I put my back out.

On the mend so hoping to get back at it soon.

mchacker

Head Pro
Visit site
Managed to grab an hour at the range but mostly working on faults identified last week so only a couple with big blue.

Interesting point though, I hit a couple with it still in 7.5+heel/toe, and still produced a fairly high flight. Our pro then had a go and at the peak of the flight the ball was no more than 10ft high. He very kindly gave me a quick mini lesson(for free) so hopefully I can work it all out next weekend and start having some fun.

mcbroon

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Happy New Year everyone.

I finally managed to get to a driving range yesterday and give the new driver a whirl. I wanted a shot on the Flightscope but they had a custom fit in and I couldn't get on it. So I had to rely on old-fashioned things like feel and vision.

First impressions are that I'm going to have to put in a bit of time with this. I hit a few with my old/current driver to compare and was hitting it fine, so my swing seemed to be ok. I had the Mizuno set up the same as my driver - 8.5* and neutral.

First shot, low and left. Second shot, low and left. Third shot, low and left. Fourth shot, swinging deliberately smoothly, violent snap hook. The pattern continued for a while and I swapped back to my current driver a few times to check I was hitting it ok but it didn't make a difference. I switched the loft up to 9.5* but there was no real difference to the ball flight - still very low.

So I'll need to spend some time with it and play around with the weights and see if it helps with ball flight. Two other things I noticed:

The sound of the ball off the clubface. It's a bit of a clunky sound, not entirely pleasant. Probably something you get used to.

The strike marks on the clubface were all very high. I didn't feel like I got any shots near the middle of the club and I don't know why that would be. It was exactly the same tee as I used for my driver and I was middling that ok.

Maybe I was trying too hard, I don't know, but there's no way I would take this on the course right now. Fortunately, the weather's pish up here so there's no prospect of playing any time soon anyway. I need to play with the weights and stuff and see if I can set it up to give me a higher ball flight.

chrisd

Major Champion
Visit site
I didn't win the opportunity but happened to be at my range when one turned up and I was offered a hit. I had pretty much the same problem and the odd on that went straight were miles short of my X2 Hot!

FairwayDodger

Money List Winner
Visit site
I didn't win the opportunity but happened to be at my range when one turned up and I was offered a hit. I had pretty much the same problem and the odd on that went straight were miles short of my X2 Hot!

When I've been hitting mine reasonably well it's been consistently shorter than the X2 Hot, but not miles shorter. However, I'm convinced that with a bit of tweaking the set up to increase the spin it has more distance to offer so the jury's still out. I love the X2 Hot so it'll have to go some to usurp it.

Saw a bit of light at the end of the tunnel with my swing change over the last few days so hopefully I'll be able to get some serious testing done soon.

mchacker

Head Pro
Visit site
Jury's out for now, swing is a bit out of sync but not enough to cause the ridiculous amount of inconsistency I'm seeing. It's screaming out that the shaft is the problem but can't do anything about that until the fitting centres get equipped and that's end of Feb at best. Winter medal tomorrow and it will be in the bag, I just can't say how often it will come out.

chrisd

Major Champion
Visit site
When I've been hitting mine reasonably well it's been consistently shorter than the X2 Hot, but not miles shorter. However, I'm convinced that with a bit of tweaking the set up to increase the spin it has more distance to offer so the jury's still out. I love the X2 Hot so it'll have to go some to usurp it.

Saw a bit of light at the end of the tunnel with my swing change over the last few days so hopefully I'll be able to get some serious testing done soon.

But the X2Hot is just ridiculously easy to hit as well, I felt that the Mizuno needed my best swing and not my average one!

CMAC

Blackballed
Banned
Visit site
how are the mizuno forum guys getting on with it? all booming 300 no doubt and saying this driver will launch them back to the top again

mcbroon

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
So a little update...

I managed to hop on the Flightscope at AG this afternoon. I wasn't swinging very well, as the drives I hit with my own driver weren't great but they gave me some numbers to compare.

I was still hitting low and left but that's down to a poor swing, I think, as the boy on the machine gave me a little swing tip and I started hitting proper drives.

My spin rate was low already, so we tweaked the loft a bit to try and increase the launch angle. He ended up setting it at 10.5* with one weight in the no. 2 slot and one in the toe.

The best numbers (from memory, so could be a bit out) were:

My driver - 8.5* neutral:
Swing speed - 96
Ball speed - 128, I think
Smash factor - 1.33
Spin rate - about 2500rpm (I think I had one that was 1800rpm)
Launch angle - can't remember
Carry - can't remember
Total distance - 230ish

JPX set at 10.5*, one weight in the toe and one in the no.2 slot:
Swing speed - 96
Ball speed - 135
Smash factor - 1.41
Spin rate - 2400 and a few
Launch angle - 11.4*
Carry - 225
Total distance - 248

Hope these numbers seem right - as I say, they are from memory and I wasn't paying much attention to the ones I hit with my driver as they were pretty poor.

It's good to know that I don't put much spin on the driver, so I just need to work with the loft. It was also good to have someone who knew what they were doing play about with the weights. Gives me confidence that the club is set up to give me a chance of getting the best out of it.

Also, a word for AG at Braid Hills. I would have paid to use the machine but the boy spent a good 20 minutes on it with me for free - not even the cost of the balls. Not much in the grand scheme of things but it felt like a nice touch.

CMAC

Blackballed
Banned
Visit site
with a 96mph driver SS your not doing yourself any favours at 8.5*. Pretty much any driver at 10.5 and above should get you more distance.

richart

Major Champion
Visit site
So a little update...

I managed to hop on the Flightscope at AG this afternoon. I wasn't swinging very well, as the drives I hit with my own driver weren't great but they gave me some numbers to compare.

I was still hitting low and left but that's down to a poor swing, I think, as the boy on the machine gave me a little swing tip and I started hitting proper drives.

My spin rate was low already, so we tweaked the loft a bit to try and increase the launch angle. He ended up setting it at 10.5* with one weight in the no. 2 slot and one in the toe.

The best numbers (from memory, so could be a bit out) were:

My driver - 8.5* neutral:
Swing speed - 96
Ball speed - 128, I think
Smash factor - 1.33
Spin rate - about 2500rpm (I think I had one that was 1800rpm)
Launch angle - can't remember
Carry - can't remember
Total distance - 230ish

JPX set at 10.5*, one weight in the toe and one in the no.2 slot:
Swing speed - 96
Ball speed - 135
Smash factor - 1.41
Spin rate - 2400 and a few
Launch angle - 11.4*
Carry - 225
Total distance - 248

Hope these numbers seem right - as I say, they are from memory and I wasn't paying much attention to the ones I hit with my driver as they were pretty poor.

It's good to know that I don't put much spin on the driver, so I just need to work with the loft. It was also good to have someone who knew what they were doing play about with the weights. Gives me confidence that the club is set up to give me a chance of getting the best out of it.

Also, a word for AG at Braid Hills. I would have paid to use the machine but the boy spent a good 20 minutes on it with me for free - not even the cost of the balls. Not much in the grand scheme of things but it felt like a nice touch.
No wonder you couldn't clear the ditch on our first hole with those powder puff figures with your old driver.;)

FairwayDodger

Money List Winner
Visit site
OK magnificent 7, we've had these for a good few weeks now and our reviews are almost due... Any spoilers? Who loves it? Who hates it? Who's pretty indifferent to it? Anyone going to "game" it this year?

Me? I don't dislike it but it simply can't beat the driver I already use.....