Mini driver revival ?

moogie

Tour Winner
Visit site
The question running around my mind is, have they launched this because the carbon faces on the driver keep popping out when people hit them off the deck?!

I'd say they've launched it because every other version of the taylormade mini driver has sold like hotcakes.
Most shops stock sells out as soon as it arrives
Very popular club

Still golfers out there that
A) don't like the 460cc heads
B) can't handle the longer length driver shafts

This club eliminates both of these issues

Backsticks

Assistant Pro
Banned
Visit site
A 460cc weapon, with its loft cranked up to 14° or therabouts, its shaft shortened several inches, and its head aweighted up, is a superior weapon in the hand if the typical golfer, either as a fairway finder or a shorter than full driver distance driver, in every respect. A jumbo 3 wood as it were.
Unless one needs a from the fairway play option, a mini driver is the inferior.

Voyager EMH

Slipper Wearing Plucker of Pheasants
Visit site
I'd say they've launched it because every other version of the taylormade mini driver has sold like hotcakes.
Most shops stock sells out as soon as it arrives
Very popular club

Still golfers out there that
A) don't like the 460cc heads
B) can't handle the longer length driver shafts

This club eliminates both of these issues
A and B so very true.

50 years ago I saw lots of chaps who had a 2-wood and 4-wood in the bag and no other woods. This was a popular option.
My older brother did exactly this.
This mini-driver-thing is really nothing new at all. It merely seems to be so because we dropped the even numbers for woods some time ago.

Backsticks

Assistant Pro
Banned
Visit site
A and B so very true.

50 years ago I saw lots of chaps who had a 2-wood and 4-wood in the bag and no other woods. This was a popular option.
My older brother did exactly this.
This mini-driver-thing is really nothing new at all. It merely seems to be so because we dropped the even numbers for woods some time ago.
Adjustable loft shaft adaptors made them redundant.

Springveldt

Visit site
What is the difference between "colour" and "colour way?"

Must be the same as price and price point! 😁😁
It’s the Americanisation of everything. My daughter just passed her driving test and she told me that there is a clutch, brake and gas pedal in the car. Same with her part time job when she was looking forward to her next pay cheque.

Told her it was an accelerator and she should be looking forward to getting her wages and I just got a blank look. I think she may have actually asked what wages were.

Voyager EMH

Slipper Wearing Plucker of Pheasants
Visit site
It’s the Americanisation of everything. My daughter just passed her driving test and she told me that there is a clutch, brake and gas pedal in the car. Same with her part time job when she was looking forward to her next pay cheque.

Told her it was an accelerator and she should be looking forward to getting her wages and I just got a blank look. I think she may have actually asked what wages were.
Get real. ;)
Show her the word "lieutenant" and get her to pronounce it.

Last edited:

garyinderry

Ryder Cup Winner
Visit site
A 460cc weapon, with its loft cranked up to 14° or therabouts, its shaft shortened several inches, and its head aweighted up, is a superior weapon in the hand if the typical golfer, either as a fairway finder or a shorter than full driver distance driver, in every respect. A jumbo 3 wood as it were.
Unless one needs a from the fairway play option, a mini driver is the inferior.

A 14 degree driver would be useless to me. Anything over 10.5 usually spins like crazy.

Backsticks

Assistant Pro
Banned
Visit site
No.
The dropping of the numbers 2 and 4 for woods happened long before that. It coincided with the change to metal woods.
Maybe. Do game a trusty Taylormade R11 with 17° which is labelled a 4 wood. Its adjustable. Have the 5 wood of it as well which has 19°. They are at least 10 years old.

Burnsey

Visit site
What I don't get is the production numbers. Sells out within days and never seems to come back into stock. Sells on eBay and the likes for more than retail, so the demand is there.

I have version one and yes, like it as I've mentioned a few times, which I bought new. Would I buy V2 - well, I tried.

nickjdavis

Head Pro
Visit site
Callaway now apparently have a Mini Driver in the pipeline...

Though the article is incorrect when it says that this is Callaway's first official dive into the Mini Driver world. Callaway released the Bertha 1.5 Mini Driver back in 2015.