Migrating / Implementing a New Handicapping System

mikejohnchapman

Challenge Tour Pro
Visit site
We are in the process of migrating our old system to the Club2000 V1 system. The advice we have been given is it will take 2 days (having taken a back-up before starting). Generally we have been told it should be transparent and we won't need to do anything post-implementation to verify the migration - just get going. I have been involved in enough IT projects to be concerned this is overly optimistic.

I wondered if anyone had done this and made a plan for the migration they would be willing to share?

rulefan

Tour Winner
Visit site
We are in the process of migrating our old system to the Club2000 V1 system. The advice we have been given is it will take 2 days (having taken a back-up before starting). Generally we have been told it should be transparent and we won't need to do anything post-implementation to verify the migration - just get going. I have been involved in enough IT projects to be concerned this is overly optimistic.

I wondered if anyone had done this and made a plan for the migration they would be willing to share?
Are you migrating to a different ISV (eg HanicapMaster to ClubV1) or upgrading the package with the same ISV (Club Systems local server (2000) to hosted (V1))?

Old Skier

Tour Winner
Visit site

Me again, like you I have been involved in IT projects and I appreciate your concerns, however I think you'll find that apart from the normal issues like getting your head around the odd issue I think you’ll be fine.

SammmeBee

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
The process is automated and I suspect any issues will present themselves as you suspect with you experience. It’s always a minefield and I’m sure any issues can be sorted out if they arise. I find that most companies can sort any issues out eventually and that it will be a hopefully smooth process. After all you are paying them for a service so hopefully they can deliver on something that they have done many times before. Obviously if your end is slightly out of kilter then you may well have problems but hopefully not.

jim8flog

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
One of the things we made sure of when switching from Cobra to IG was to take copies of players handicap records one we kept as a PDF another as an Excel spreadsheet.

Lucky we did because when IG started it just said Handicap Bought forward as a single figure.

rulefan

Tour Winner
Visit site
One of the things we made sure of when switching from Cobra to IG was to take copies of players handicap records one we kept as a PDF another as an Excel spreadsheet.

Lucky we did because when IG started it just said Handicap Bought forward as a single figure.
But wan't everything already in the CDH?

jim8flog

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
But wan't everything already in the CDH?

Yes, but the CDH was/is not as quick and easy access for me compared to looking at at PDF on my home computer, particularly when doing the Continuous review where I might be looking at 30 players.

jim8flog

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
I didn't think that Excel and pdfs were around then :unsure:

I can be assured that they were as I still have the copies on my computer.

Ps you are not thinking as PDF or spreadsheet from the CDH are you?
I have both as copies exported from COBRA.