Midweek Medal

stevo

Assistant Pro
Visit site
Had our midweek medal today,I had a bad front nine(50) but a better back nine(42).One of my playing partners who was marking my card decided to walk off after a couple of bad holes around the turn.I felt this was not acceptable.Does this sort of thing happen that often or do you always finish the round no matter how bad you are doing.

TonyN

Money List Winner
Visit site
Myself and RGUK where discussing this the other week after a junior NR'd infront of us, he decided to walk almost across the green as I was chipping on.

I think its just courtesy and manners to finish and not ruin the roun for your partner(s). If anything you can learn from your mistakes or scrap your own score and work on somethin in particular. If anythin you could learn how not to play :D

More and more clubs I play at are getting annoyed at the amount of NR's and are putting notices up for members to finish there rounds.

RGuk

Tour Winner
Visit site
I think it's bad form. I have never done it, no matter what.
The only time I've walked off is when I can no longer see and am wet through.

I played 9 the other day and it all went horribly wrong, I played to 6 (1/2 my h'cap) but was losing the will to live.

Instead leaving in a bad mood, I played the 10th and 14th just to see if I could find something (anything) to remind me that I hadn't totally lost it.

I hit 9 drives off the 10th!! until I caught a decent one, and then 4 off the 14th!! Something was "up" but better to play like a complete nightmare golfer and find out a few things than to quit.

The problem......

GRIP! completely wrong.....all over the place.....all in the space of less than 2 hours. Went to the range and fixed it.....MMMMmmm, much better.

Herbie

Tour Winner
Visit site
The only time I can see justice to walking off is through illness or when the behavior of those you play with, is the unacceptable part.

I think a new rule throughout golf for all comps should become regulation, that 100% hand in of completed cards and every comp card available for H/C assessment if required.A penalty for not doing so could be loss of a H/C stroke.

This would help reduce a lot of local golf cheating too! (not admitted by many but true nontheless)

USER1999

Grand Slam Winner
Visit site
Always complete the round, bad form to walk in. If you N/R then stay out and play tee to green, or stay out and mark the card.

I only walk in if all 3 walk in.

HomerJSimpson

Hall of Famer
Visit site
I spoke about this before, but until clubs get tough and start banning regular no returners the problem will contine. Several of my regualr Saturday crwod (28 and 23 handicap) won't put medal cards in if it looks like they will be anymore than 5 or 6 over their handicap or if they have scored 30 or less stableford points. Whats the point in entering? Someone has to be last and big deal if its you (I was last in the club champs - hey ho it din't kill me)

I still advocate that you shouldn't be allowed to get you 0.1 back on your handicap by no returning and not putting a card in or walking off the course. If however you NR in a medal becauuse you lose a ball and can't be bothered to walk back, and given that you play the whole round anyway then the 0.1 should be given back. If members see someone getting the 0.1 and they don't it may encourage more to stay out for the duration

toyboy54

Challenge Tour Pro
Visit site
Stevo...Played on Sunday in the medal(after watching my team horse our biggest rivals)two of us stood on the 1st raring to go and behold it went......pearshaped for me but not my mate........Oh no not for him!!!Really heavy rain came on and my lovely new waterproof jacket came out but no waterproof trousers........result top half lovely and dry bottom half soaked through!!But had to keep going asBert had a score going(full set of Proquips on+waterproof bag +Powacaddy trolley)Anyway played 18......me 101 him 81 less 14 equals cut.How could I walk in and leave him????NO CAN DO!!!!!It just wouldn't be right(would it?) :eek:

viscount17

Money List Winner
Visit site
homer, not quite sure I get what you mean with an NR. They certainly shouldn't get a +0.1 whatever the circumstances as this could be to their advantage. frequent NR should be penalised, though not sure how - we all work to get a cut so awarding one for failing to return? banning them from comps just means that their h'cap is frozen, which is what they are doing anyway.
the only thing I can think of that might work is stripping them of their h/cap and requiring them to requalify with a committee members signature on each card, but as we have already established that's not really going to hurt them away from home as they can get a fake and very few check at all.

as to cards, all cards issued should be returned (though I wasn't aware that an incomplete card could count toward the CSS)

as to do you finish; too right you do, medical is the only excuse.