Michelle Wie

Topper_Harley

Medal Winner
Visit site
Miss Wie has announced that she will continue to play in men's events in 2007, despite not breaking 75 in any of her last four men's tournaments

Stuart Appleby has been particularly scathing in his comments today, saying she should give up

Should she carry on? Is it fair that she takes a starting slot from one of the men, who may need the prizemoney at the end of the season to retain his card and his livelihood?

Severiano798488

Club Champion
Visit site
I think she should stick to the women's events until she proves she can win those

I wonder how much appearance money she receives for the men's events, in addition to depriving a journeyman pro the chance to compete?

She's turned pro too early - even Woods waited until he was in his 20s

PaulOHagan

GM Staff
Visit site
She's been woeful for about six months-her golf swing doesn't look any where near as good as a couple of years ago and her putting has been horrendous- She seems so caught up in her own hype she's forgotten about the actual golf!

Trueblue

Head Pro
Visit site
She does look pretty good on the course though - would rather watch her swing a 5-iron than Kevin Stadler heave a driver...

muttleee

Tour Rookie
Visit site
If she wasn't invited it's not necessarily true to say that her place would go to a journeyman who really needed the money. Sponsors' invitations can go to anyone they like, I thought? There's not much publicity in inviting the 143rd ranked player on the tour whereas inviting Ms. Wie guarantees oodles of coverage around the world.

MacMachattie

Assistant Pro
Visit site
I think we should all stop talking about it. The endless debates of should she, shouldn't she? justify her continuing to play in men's events. If we just ignored her she'd eventually give up and go back to playing in only the women's events. (she's still to win one of them!) It's sort of like the way to tackle bullying. Don't rise to it and they won't carry on.

The_Golfer

Club Champion
Visit site
For what it's worth I think Ms Wie or any woman should not be allowed into the men's tournament; it just isn't cricket!
Can you image football with a woman playing in your Chelsea, Man Utd or whatever team... and what if a woman got in a boxing ring to take on the world heavyweight title (know what I mean 'arry), or was in the England cricket side, Rugby.... get the point?
Golf accommodates women in the LPGA, and that's where they ought to stay full stop! If there was a mixed competition in the Calendar then fine, but only as a one off....

swingstar1

Assistant Pro
Visit site
IMHO someone is giving her some poor advice if she's still trying to play PGA or European Tour events

by pitching up for these events then chopping it all she's doing is damaging her own reputation and that of the women's game to be honest

as MacMachattie says - try winning on the LPGA Tour first then maybe come back

The_Golfer

Club Champion
Visit site
Steady on Chipin1, anyway I thought you would have known the very accepted fact that you should never hook up with your bit on the side on a Sunday, this the day of rest..... weather permitting! And seeing as I love my wife almost as much as I love my golf (well maybe not almost), then until she starts playing the game, and better than me (as if!), then she has nothing to worry about....

Teetotal

Assistant Pro
Visit site
It's a tricky one because if the tables were turned I reckon the men would easily start to snap all all the prize money on the ladies tour and they aren't gonna like that! However Wie pulls in the crowds and why not give the people the stars they wanna see?

Teetotal

Assistant Pro
Visit site
I have no complaints about Michelle Wie being invited to play in maybe one of the majors a year. I think most men enjoy watching her play, she's prett easy on the eye. It also enhances the profile of the women's game. However I think the top women playing regularly on the Men's Tour is definately the wrong way to go. If that were to happen the top few women might make the men's tour but the sponsors would all pull out of the LPGA tour.