Method to this or just a series of compensations?

Robobum

Money List Winner
Visit site
Always been a pony driver of a golf ball. Weak necky cuts were a particular forte!! :(

I always lined up square and as text book as a middle aged creaky old man could muster. Always felt as though I was stuck underneath on the way down and wasn't good or quick enough to flip the hands for a hook so almost exclusively was short right.

So, being lesson shy, I took to the range to muddle out some sort of solution!

I now am lining up about 30* left and have the ball a touch further back in my stance. Results have been great (over 12 week period), much more consistent and some added length with a better flight - win win win.

Question is - is this just a set of compensations that seem to work for me, for the time being? Or is this something that is advised/ taught?

D

Deleted member 15344

If it works for you then that's all that should matter :thup:

Good work on finding a way to get results for you :thup:

JT77

Tour Winner
Visit site
Not sure if its right or not mate but if it works then great. sounds a bit like what i do!
A friend suggested it to me for to try (a tip of a pro_apparently lol) to open my stance a touch to get through the ball better, i find it really helps in winter with the extra layers on.

One Planer

Global Moderator
Visit site
Could it be that you were originally set up very closed to your target, and now standing square, despite feeling open and are now driving the ball better through better alignment and ball position?

In effect you are now set up correctly?

Just a thought.

Robobum

Money List Winner
Visit site
Could it be that you were originally set up very closed to your target, and now standing square, despite feeling open and are now driving the ball better through better alignment and ball position?

In effect you are now set up correctly?

Just a thought.

No, definitely massively left.

Just feel as though I can swing more freely - its the wrong term, but always felt like I was steering if before.

I'm pleased (for the moment) anyway, so will stick with this :)

One Planer

Global Moderator
Visit site

Just feel as though I can swing more freely - its the wrong term, but always felt like I was steering if before.

Was just a thought pal.

If you're off 2 you're not doing too much wrong :thup:

Blue in Munich

Crocked Professional Yeti Impersonator
Visit site

It worked for Trevino and he wasn't too shabby, and there aren't any pictures on a scorecard

kid2

Money List Winner
Visit site
Always been a pony driver of a golf ball. Weak necky cuts were a particular forte!! :(

I always lined up square and as text book as a middle aged creaky old man could muster. Always felt as though I was stuck underneath on the way down and wasn't good or quick enough to flip the hands for a hook so almost exclusively was short right.

So, being lesson shy, I took to the range to muddle out some sort of solution!

I now am lining up about 30* left and have the ball a touch further back in my stance. Results have been great (over 12 week period), much more consistent and some added length with a better flight - win win win.

Question is - is this just a set of compensations that seem to work for me, for the time being? Or is this something that is advised/ taught?

You'll laugh at this....:lol:

I twigged this a few weeks ago doing the same thing... I always set up square to target as best i could.... That way i figured that if i could hit a straightish ball that way then there couldnt be too much wrong......

Firstly i tried it with the driver as this is the club i struggle with most to keep straight....
I messed about with the degree of openess in the stance not caring where the ball went until i was happy with the left to right movement i saw.... Basically that i wasnt cutting the backside off it...

What came about was a stance where ill pull my left leg back to where my toes are roughly in line with the middle of my right foot... Flare the left foot and keep my shoulders square to my target......
Now i can come at the ball as hard as i like without feeling that im either going to hook it or block it......

My one thought is to try and hit the inside back 1/4 of the ball closest to my right foot.....

What i get is a fade that moves about 5-7 yards in the air with very minimal distance loss...I use it for all my long clubs... And if you manage to time the face to square you'll hit it bullet straight.... Chance it.....:thup:

Region3

Ryder Cup Winner
Visit site
I'm no good at making pics so I just found this to try to explain my thoughts. Ignore the words "Inside Approach".

Clubhead-Path.jpg

If you open the stance 30°, the path would be pointing to the target roughly where the green changes to blue, so providing the face is square (or near as damnit) to the path at that point (and the ball is there!) you'll hit good shots.

I don't know if he still does, but JustOne definitely did this for a while.

Junior

Tour Winner
Visit site
Nice one Robo !! glad you have found something that works !! Do you do it even if you face a hole with tight OOB down the left side ? I'm going ot give this a try tonight at the range !

It could just be camera angles, but to my eye, when I watch golf on the TV , lots of players seem to be aiming left of target and hitting draws and fades at will.

standrew

Head Pro
Visit site
For me, when i was messing on my simuator i had a similar 30 degree ish open stance, it took much less effort to clear my body than being straight and get better numbers. I found that if i sped up my body (in particular my hips) and pivoted with good timing then i didnt need to do it.

What i did change was had a progressively more open stance for pitching and chips, as firing my hips in sync with a short swing is very difficult. Also just worked on timing with pivot and club which seems really crucial, but with drives i need more rotation (which is reduced when too open, but plenty time to speed the body up with full swing).

Last edited:

Robobum

Money List Winner
Visit site
Nice one Robo !! glad you have found something that works !! Do you do it even if you face a hole with tight OOB down the left side ? I'm going ot give this a try tonight at the range !

It could just be camera angles, but to my eye, when I watch golf on the TV , lots of players seem to be aiming left of target and hitting draws and fades at will.

Yes mate, aim left half and hit baby cuts all day long.