Mental Approach to negativity

Jigger

Club Champion
Visit site
The last couple of medal draws I’ve been drawn with a couple of players having a bad game and spitting their dummies out. My subconscious has let itself be drawn into their world and a reasonably maintained start has turned into a disaster.

Anybody of a similar week mind found a way of overcoming this and focusing on their own game? I know these guys and we get on but the problem I have is that I’m quite a social
character so I become aware very quickly of someone else’s attitude.

HomerJSimpson

Hall of Famer
Visit site
If I'm in a match and my opponent is having a meltdown I thrive on it. Let their negativity spur you on to play as well as you can and make their day worse. The more wound up they get the more chance I have of winning. All well and good being sociable but there is still a match to win

Slab

Occasional Tour Caddy
Visit site
If I'm in a match and my opponent is having a meltdown I thrive on it. Let their negativity spur you on to play as well as you can and make their day worse. The more wound up they get the more chance I have of winning. All well and good being sociable but there is still a match to win

Don't think this really applies to the OP

HomerJSimpson

Hall of Famer
Visit site
Don't think this really applies to the OP
In a medal then it's very simple. If they are affecting your own game, speak to them and say your behaviour is beginning to put me off my own game. Needs to be done politely of course but no point letting it carry on and affect your own chance to post a decent score

Orikoru

Tour Winner
Visit site
In a medal then it's very simple. If they are affecting your own game, speak to them and say your behaviour is beginning to put me off my own game. Needs to be done politely of course but no point letting it carry on and affect your own chance to post a decent score
Having a moan at them should really improve the negative atmosphere. (y) :LOL:

Jigger

Club Champion
Visit site
Yeah. Match play I love it but individual medal.....

Jigger

Club Champion
Visit site
I have in various ways mate but their traits always keep popping back.

D

Deleted member 1147

Sometimes it’s easier just to laugh at them when they are being particularly annoying.
I played with a junior not long ago, who bitched and moaned, so I ended up taking the piss out of him.
He may not have enjoyed it, but I felt better for it👍

Jigger

Club Champion
Visit site
Sometimes it’s easier just to laugh at them when they are being particularly annoying.
I played with a junior not long ago, who bitched and moaned, so I ended up taking the piss out of him.
I like your style 😂😂😂

User20204

Visit site

Have to say that's how I often deal with it, then when they say things like, you think it's funny, I reply, would you rather I cried like a baby as well.

Foxholer

Blackballed
Visit site
I have in various ways mate but their traits always keep popping back.
I used to have a relatively small wager with a guy in a different goup in Medals. I found it easy to concentrate on that if the others had lost the plot - even if I occasionally had to mention that they might be costing me cash (I never mentioned how little it was, as he was a serious gambler!)!

Jigger

Club Champion
Visit site
I used to have a relatively small wager with a guy in a different goup in Medals. I found it easy to concentrate on that if the others had lost the plot - even if I occasionally had to mention that they might be costing me cash (I never mentioned how little it was, as he was a serious gambler!)!

Hmmmm. I like that idea!

HomerJSimpson

Hall of Famer
Visit site
Having a moan at them should really improve the negative atmosphere. (y):LOL:
Point is it's your card you're playing for and a good score and hopefully a cut so why would I want a PP being an idiot and generally put me off my game. I've been there and been that idiot huffing and puffing (and in the old days the odd club may have had some forward momentum as I chucked it) and so am acutely aware of how annoying it can be

Jigger

Club Champion
Visit site
Point is it's your card you're playing for and a good score and hopefully a cut so why would I want a PP being an idiot and generally put me off my game. I've been there and been that idiot huffing and puffing (and in the old days the odd club may have had some forward momentum as I chucked it) and so am acutely aware of how annoying it can be
Yeah. I think you have a point there.

Britishshooting

Club Champion
Visit site
Stick to your own script, maintain your pre-shot routine and only concern yourself with you and your score.

Let them have their bad day, be unsociable if it helps you maintain your score.

If somebody is having a strop when I play with them and everything they spout is negative I get as far away as possible for a few holes until the dust settles, even as far as walking down the tree line when we have hit in the same direction.

If I play with good friends though I will literally laugh out loud and tell them to lighten up and it isn’t a factor that affects my round.

richart

Major Champion
Visit site
Never played with anyone that has put me off my game. Just an excuse to me. As long as they are quiet when I am hitting, they can do what they like in between.

Not a fan of golfers that don’t like to chat on the course, so just let them listen to me prattling on. Picked up that tip from Lee Trevino.

Will not play with them again though.

Jigger

Club Champion
Visit site
Stick to your own script, maintain your pre-shot routine and only concern yourself with you and your score.

Let them have their bad day, be unsociable if it helps you maintain your score.

If somebody is having a strop when I play with them and everything they spout is negative I get as far away as possible for a few holes until the dust settles, even as far as walking down the tree line when we have hit in the same direction.

If I play with good friends though I will literally laugh out loud and tell them to lighten up and it isn’t a factor that affects my round.
Thanks. A good idea.

njt1986

Visit site
Personally I remember that it's just a game.

Unless you are playing golf to make a living and you depend on winning a medal to pay your bills then why get so frustrated about it? The reality is that it's a hobby, same as playing an instrument or painting or tinkering with a car or something. It's not my job, it doesn't pay my bills and winning a medal or something will not enrich my life in any way, shape or form - nor will finishing dead last ruin my day, week, month etc.

My mentality to golf is one of "Relax, enjoy being out in the fresh air, enjoy having a chat with your mates and have fun".

Very different to when I played football, even a daft 5-a-side match was treat like the World Cup Final while the game was going on, but then once the match was over with it was the same - that was a laugh, lets go to the pub.

Some people take everything in life super seriously and super competitively and it's just completely unnecessary - in my opinion. I take my job seriously, I take my free time seriously but the hobbies I take part in, nah, my hobbies are just for a bit of fun and to give me something to do in my free time.

Slab

Occasional Tour Caddy
Visit site
Personally I remember that it's just a game.

Unless you are playing golf to make a living and you depend on winning a medal to pay your bills then why get so frustrated about it? The reality is that it's a hobby, same as playing an instrument or painting or tinkering with a car or something. It's not my job, it doesn't pay my bills and winning a medal or something will not enrich my life in any way, shape or form - nor will finishing dead last ruin my day, week, month etc.

My mentality to golf is one of "Relax, enjoy being out in the fresh air, enjoy having a chat with your mates and have fun".

Very different to when I played football, even a daft 5-a-side match was treat like the World Cup Final while the game was going on, but then once the match was over with it was the same - that was a laugh, lets go to the pub.

Some people take everything in life super seriously and super competitively and it's just completely unnecessary - in my opinion. I take my job seriously, I take my free time seriously but the hobbies I take part in, nah, my hobbies are just for a bit of fun and to give me something to do in my free time.

Kinda yeah and no for me. I think most of us would like to be totally relaxed and remain so when we make mistakes but that’s not real life

Sure it’s just a hobby & it’s not our job but your other hobbyists will get frustrated too;
someone who plays a musical instrument might get frustrated when they hit a d flat in practice but can’t do it when playing in front of their mates
someone who tinkers on a car might get frustrated when they forget to insert a washer back into an assembly when they know full well that the washer needs to go in
a painter might get frustrated when they mix the wrong colours together

When a golfer hits a bad shot it’s a mistake, just like the examples in other hobbies, that fact that our hobby is golf makes no difference. Make a mistake often enough in any hobby and many people will get frustrated