Medal Etiquette/Rules

Sink92

Visit site
Hi All

playing in a medal at my new club this weekend with 2 guys I don’t know, haven’t played in one since I was a junior. Please hit me with some common rules/etiquette I should be aware of which would be different to a casual round with my pals. I would like to make sure I don’t make an ar*e of myself?

rulefan

Tour Winner
Visit site
Check that they will be playing ready golf.
Don't stand on their line of putt.
Don't ask for or give advice.
Check scores with your marker and player after every hole.

Visit site
If you think there is any possibility that you won’t find your ball, then don’t be afraid to fire a provisional ball. No one will judge you for making sure you have a ball in play, even if it’s provisionally your 5th shot and you’re still on the tee, and remember - people that don’t do this and N/R finish last.

For reference, I hit 16 provisionals throughout the 36 holes of our Club Championships. I did not lose my original ball at any point, but the 100% certainty of having a ball in play a) Makes the walk a lot more enjoyable, and makes ball hunting far less stressful and b) means you don’t have to be ‘that guy’ who spends 3 minutes looking before heading back to the tee.

It was 33degrees that weekend, and I didn’t fancy that one bit.

Most importantly though, your handicap can only increase by 0.1, and no one cares except you about your score. Enjoy it, good luck.

Sink92

Visit site
If you think there is any possibility that you won’t find your ball, then don’t be afraid to fire a provisional ball. No one will judge you for making sure you have a ball in play, even if it’s provisionally your 5th shot and you’re still on the tee, and remember - people that don’t do this and N/R finish last.

For reference, I hit 16 provisionals throughout the 36 holes of our Club Championships. I did not lose my original ball at any point, but the 100% certainty of having a ball in play a) Makes the walk a lot more enjoyable, and makes ball hunting far less stressful and b) means you don’t have to be ‘that guy’ who spends 3 minutes looking before heading back to the tee.

It was 33degrees that weekend, and I didn’t fancy that one bit.

Most importantly though, your handicap can only increase by 0.1, and no one cares except you about your score. Enjoy it, good luck.

thank you all for the advice , especially this ! Definitely the biggest thing that was bothering me, provisionals will take the stress off that. I need to submit 3 cards before I even get a handicap it’s been that long, so no pressure at all. Looking forward to it ?

HomerJSimpson

Hall of Famer
Visit site
Introduce yourself and explain its been a while. Other than that are they playing ready golf, hit provisionals if there is any doubt and if you have a query, ask for advice before doing anything, especially touching the ball until you have worked out how to proceed. Get a copy of the basic rules in the bag as people "think" they know the rules but their version and the definitions on paper often vary considerably

Orikoru

Tour Winner
Visit site
Introduce yourself and explain its been a while. Other than that are they playing ready golf, hit provisionals if there is any doubt and if you have a query, ask for advice before doing anything, especially touching the ball until you have worked out how to proceed. Get a copy of the basic rules in the bag as people "think" they know the rules but their version and the definitions on paper often vary considerably
Or just get the R&A app since it's 2020. :p

jim8flog

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Hi All

playing in a medal at my new club this weekend with 2 guys I don’t know, haven’t played in one since I was a junior. Please hit me with some common rules/etiquette I should be aware of which would be different to a casual round with my pals. I would like to make sure I don’t make an ar*e of myself?

Most important thing is read all the Temporary Local Rules that the club has brought in during the covid period and if you have not done it during friendly play check the local rules any way (new rules came out in 2019).

jim8flog

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
I need to submit 3 cards before I even get a handicap it’s been that long, so no pressure at all. Looking forward to it ?

Have you checked your club's rules about players in medals without a handicap or without competition status.

Sink92

Visit site
Have you checked your club's rules about players in medals without a handicap or without competition status.

I haven’t, I had a chat with the secretary when I joined last week and he just said I had to play in 3 medals. I’ll maybe give him a shout when I’m up on Thursday in advance of the medal. Is there only certain ones I can play in?

also I have a basic GPS app on my phone for yardages, is this allowed or is it only range finders and GPS watches?

Orikoru

Tour Winner
Visit site
I haven’t, I had a chat with the secretary when I joined last week and he just said I had to play in 3 medals. I’ll maybe give him a shout when I’m up on Thursday in advance of the medal. Is there only certain ones I can play in?

also I have a basic GPS app on my phone for yardages, is this allowed or is it only range finders and GPS watches?
The GPS apps are fine, since they only gives yardages to greens hazards etc, which is all fine.

Lord Tyrion

Money List Winner
Visit site
Posts 2 & 3 have it pretty much nailed. Smile, say hello and let the other 2 take charge.

Don't forget, you play for fun, it isn't meant to be an ordeal. Have a good time.

LincolnShep

Head Pro
Visit site

That answer will be specific to your club. At mine you would be welcome to play in any comp for purposes of getting a handicap - you wouldn't be eligible for any prizes though.

SaintHacker

Journeyman Pro
Visit site

Shouldnt be problem playing to get your cards verified but you won't be able to enter the competition without a handicap. Bit strange though first time I've heard of a club asking you to play in a medal to get your cards in, usually its enough to just play 3 rounds with a member

Sink92

Visit site
Shouldnt be problem playing to get your cards verified but you won't be able to enter the competition without a handicap. Bit strange though first time I've heard of a club asking you to play in a medal to get your cards in, usually its enough to just play 3 rounds with a member

now you mention it, I don’t actually think he mentioned a medal, I just assumed it was from my experiences as a junior. I’ll double check this when I’m out at the club on Thursday. Thank you all for the help and info! Greatly appreciated