Medal Etiquette/Rules

SwingsitlikeHogan

Major Champion
Visit site
...and watch where you are standing when a playing companion is teeing off. HNSP is the low risk default :)

And if you absolutely MUST check your phone for calls or texts during the round - mention this to your playing companions before you start, and apologise in advance for doing so. And if you don't have a decent reason (crucial work or family) then decide whether you need to be checking - or invent a decent reason and live with your conscience :)

Orikoru

Tour Winner
Visit site
And if you absolutely MUST check your phone for calls or texts during the round - mention this to your playing companions before you start, and apologise in advance for doing so. And if you don't have a decent reason (crucial work or family) then decide whether you need to be checking - or invent a decent reason and live with your conscience :)
Eh? He's already said he'll be using his phone for GPS like a lot of people do. So I doubt this will be an issue. :rolleyes:

sunshine

Visit site
The GPS apps are fine, since they only gives yardages to greens hazards etc, which is all fine.

Using a phone app is sometimes banned, because your phone can be used for other things which are not allowed (e.g. your phone has a built in accelerometer) and there is no practical way that usage of apps can be policed. Unlikely to be an issue in a club medal.

SwingsitlikeHogan

Major Champion
Visit site
Eh? He's already said he'll be using his phone for GPS like a lot of people do. So I doubt this will be an issue. :rolleyes:
I know. Why I specifically suggested he he mentioned he might have to check his phone for important calls or texts (and by implication therefore might have to use it).

rulefan

Tour Winner
Visit site
now you mention it, I don’t actually think he mentioned a medal, I just assumed it was from my experiences as a junior. I’ll double check this when I’m out at the club on Thursday. Thank you all for the help and info! Greatly appreciated
You can always return Supplementary Scores, ask your secretary what your club's procedure is. It's good that your club allows you to play in competitions in order to get a handicap. Many clubs are a bit sniffy about it. Understandable for Honours Board comps but great for bog standard medals or especially stablefords.

larmen

Head Pro
Visit site
If you are playing for handicap you might/are not be allowed to sign their cards. So the 2 people you play with mark each other, and one of them marks you as well. Best to check this before you tee off.

Grant85

Head Pro
Visit site
If you think there is any possibility that you won’t find your ball, then don’t be afraid to fire a provisional ball. No one will judge you for making sure you have a ball in play, even if it’s provisionally your 5th shot and you’re still on the tee, and remember - people that don’t do this and N/R finish last.

For reference, I hit 16 provisionals throughout the 36 holes of our Club Championships. I did not lose my original ball at any point, but the 100% certainty of having a ball in play a) Makes the walk a lot more enjoyable, and makes ball hunting far less stressful and b) means you don’t have to be ‘that guy’ who spends 3 minutes looking before heading back to the tee.

Absolutely, don't be afraid to hit a provisional, but 16 / 36 holes seems excessive, especially if you didn't actually lose your original ball, most of those shots must not have been that wayward. You must have been extremely cautious and basically hitting a second ball if you couldn't actually see your ball from where you were standing.

That's 44% of holes you are taking an extra shot and quite frankly if everyone did that in a medal round it wouldn't be 4 hour rounds people were complaining about, it would be 5 hour rounds.

I personally am not afraid to NR. If I'm losing multiple balls on one hole, unless I've played very well up to that point, then I'm not going to win anything or get a handicap cut. I'm quite happy to move on and play the rest of the round. It doesn't happen very often, but my view is move on and play with less pressure. And I've never then gone on to birdie 3 or 4 holes and say 'I wish I'd just finished that hole where I carved 2 shots into a field'.

I've seen guys strangling rounds to death, losing 3 or 4 balls on a single hole and signing for 113. I don't see what you gain by that. Scar tissue is real. You are as good as last as anyone who picked up and didn't hold his partners up taking an extra 10 minutes to play a hole, looking for balls twice and writing down 10.

For the record, I'm not saying everyone should just hit 1 ball and NR if they can't find it. But there comes a point in every round where you know the game is up, and when you reach that point, out of courtesy to people in and behind your group, there's nothing wrong with NRing.

jim8flog

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
I haven’t, I had a chat with the secretary when I joined last week and he just said I had to play in 3 medals. I’ll maybe give him a shout when I’m up on Thursday in advance of the medal. Is there only certain ones I can play in?

Every club sets it's own rules. Ours are - you can play in the comp, you do not have to pay entry fee and you cannot win any prizes until you have competition status which in your case would be submit 3 cards to get a handicap.

jim8flog

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Hi All

playing in a medal at my new club this weekend with 2 guys I don’t know, haven’t played in one since I was a junior. Please hit me with some common rules/etiquette I should be aware of which would be different to a casual round with my pals. I would like to make sure I don’t make an ar*e of myself?

One other thing if you are playing to put in card for handicap you can stop playing a hole when you have reached double the par for that hole.

SwingsitlikeHogan

Major Champion
Visit site
SIXTY EIGHT PAGES :eek:

No way I'm trawling through that :LOL:. I'll have to carry on living in ignorance!
Don;t worry - there is only one HNSP....the debate was whether it was relevant today...or indeed the right thing back then when some here claimed it existed :) All I'd say is the HNSP wasn't in the middle of the back of the tee looking down the line of the tee shot

GG26

Challenge Tour Pro
Visit site
If you want to play a provisional and your playing partner says that you’ll find the original, don’t believe him!