MeAndMyGolf Breaking100 program

pendodave

Tour Rookie
Visit site
"3 wood off the deck is normally good", "I love my 60 degree wedge".... There is often a bit of cognitive dissonance in the air...

In the op's case, fixing the putting sounds like the obvious place to spend time, effort (and if necessary) money. Putting to at least an average level requires no strength and not much in the way of complicated motor skills.

Capella

Journeyman Pro
blog.jutta-jordans.de
Actually there is a good reason that kind of resparked my ambition to break 100. My current official handicap is 32.5, which, due to the slope rating on our course, means that I get 37 shots on my par 72 homecourse. So a round of 109 shots at the moment is a pretty solid round for me. The best round I played on that course was a 104 (social round, not a comp).

Last week I played in a qualification comp for the WAGC (a worldwide amateur tournament), mostly because it was held at our home club and it is always a fun comp to be in. Even though I did not play that well (34 netto points), I did come in second in my handicap category F (mostly due to the fact that the field of 60 or so players was divided into 6 categories, so you really did not have that many opponents in your group). Which means I qualified for the German final, which will be held at the end of August. Now, the winners of the handicap categories A-E of that final will qualify for the team Germany that goes to the world final in Malaysia, all expenses paid. The players in category F can win a few prizes, but cannot progress to the final. Gettting my handicap cut to below 25.4 until the end of August would mean that I can compete for a spot on that team. I know, chances are minimal that I would make it, but I at least want a shot at it. And that means getting my handicap down to around 25 and that pretty much means being able to break 100 on my home course.

And I know that I can do this. Even with my relative short distances, I am able to reach all greens with one extra shot. I should be able to play solid bogey golf. What keeps getting in my way is stupid mistakes that add up: a shank here, a duffed chip shot there, an uphill putt left way too short ...

In that comp last week I was doing really well for a while. I stuck to the two-iron-shots-instead-of-a-hybrid strategy and felt very much in control. And then I put a ball in the water on our 15th and my game just fell apart (it was also just after a thunderstorm suspension during which my marker had kindly informed me that I was nett 5 under ... I could have strangled her ...). I made three more points on the last 4 holes. I know such things always happen during a golf round, I just have to learn to deal with them better. And I think, having a structured practice plan and putting the work in is just going to give me more confidence there.

Marshy77

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Similar situation to yourself but I do break 100 maybe 1 out of 3 times if I'm playing fairly regulary. I would 100% recommend having a putting lesson. I was 3 sometimes 4 putting on occassions, 3 putting probably 3-5 holes a round which was killing me. I'd guess now I'm 3 putting only max 3 times a round and that's if I'm not concentrating. And a bunker lesson, my short game and bunker play is so much better than before.

My mistakes are wrong club selection and pushing too much, when I relax and take each shot and give myself the time when walking up to the ball to think properly about the shot and then the next shot I score loads better. I need to play within myself more.

garyinderry

Ryder Cup Winner
Visit site
You can easily think your way to a better score without having to improve your ability.

A small example was when I was out with scouser. I looked at his Comp scores and noticed more often than not he was taking double bogey or worse on the short par 3 13th. He let me make his shot decisions for him one evening on the back 9 to see how things went. On this particular hole I asked him what club could he hit that would leave him short of the green. It is surrounded by two bunkers but leaves a clear entrance in front of the green. I told him our main objective was to not go in those bunkers. He hit whatever iron we decided could not reach the bunkers and sure enough it came to rest about 10 short and right in front of the green. I said get your putter out and roll that up the slope and onto the green.

He rolled it up to about 5 feet. Just missed par and tapped in for 4. Essentially cutting 2 shots off his average round score.

You can formulate similar plans for lots of holes and take out the possibility of running up cricket scores. it may not be as satisfying as pinging a long shot onto the green but its a sure fire way to reduce your score.

D

Deleted member 21258

Breaking 100 is tough. If you hit the ball a similar distance to Joanne, Joanne would need to have an above average short game (chipping/putting especially and get out of bunkers 1st time) and not have many duffs/bad tops/air shots during the course of the whole round.

She generally keeps it in play due to lack of distance, but she almost can not reach any par 4 & 5 in regulation, makes breaking 100 pretty tough as a result. If Joanne improved her putting especially and get rid of the 3 putts(she must have at least 5, 3 putts a round at a guess), then on her best days with just a few duffs etc I think she could break 100. She just reminded me that she scored 44 points once off 36, so maybe she has.

Do some quick analysis of your shots for the next couple of rounds(in particular on a good day) and it may give you the reasons why you haven't got over the line.

Wish you all the best with your target and hope you get there Capella.:thup:

Capella

Journeyman Pro
blog.jutta-jordans.de
Breaking 100 is tough. If you hit the ball a similar distance to Joanne, Joanne would need to have an above average short game (chipping/putting especially and get out of bunkers 1st time) and not have many duffs/bad tops/air shots during the course of the whole round.

She generally keeps it in play due to lack of distance, but she almost can not reach any par 4 & 5 in regulation, makes breaking 100 pretty tough as a result. If Joanne improved her putting especially and get rid of the 3 putts(she must have at least 5, 3 putts a round at a guess), then on her best days with just a few duffs etc I think she could break 100. She just reminded me that she scored 44 points once off 36, so maybe she has.

Do some quick analysis of your shots for the next couple of rounds(in particular on a good day) and it may give you the reasons why you haven't got over the line.

Wish you all the best with your target and hope you get there Capella.:thup:

Thanks Darren. Yeah from what I remember, my and Joanne's distances were pretty similar. I did put in some strength training over the winter, so maybe I have gained a few yards, but I don't think that it makes that much of a difference. I am using a statisctics tool offered by the German golf association (which is kind of practical, becasue the scores from all comp rounds are entered into their system anyway, so I only add the number of putts, which short game shots I used (categorized as pitch, chip, bunker shot or texas wedge) and if I hit the fairway off the tee. It is an amount of bookkeeping which I can easily handle on the edge of my scorecard during comp rounds without having to enter any info into my smartphone or the like and without holding anyone up. The tool then gives you an analysis of those entered rounds and tells you how many shots you lost or gained compared to the average of your handicap group. I usually gain shots in the long game, according to that, and lose shots in putting and (to a lesser extend) short game. But I don't really understand their analysis. I average 36 putts a round with an average of 3 3putts per round. Not perfect, for sure, but it claims I am losing 10 shots compared to the average. Now, what average category 5 player needs 26 putts a round? I am just not buying that.

I do lose shots in the shortgame, because even though that is actually the part of my game I practice the most (because it is hassle free and I simply love it, to be honest), I struggle bringing those shots to the course during the round. I am certain that that is more an issue of nerves and lack of concentration than a technical weakness. It is also where quite a few of those 3 putts come from, because instead of chipping or pitching the ball into a position from which I can hole out or at least comfortably 2 putt, I leave myself impossibly long putts after duffed or thinned chips.

PJ87

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Putting is key I find well that and keeping the ball in play

When my driver is on I will be in a game with my dad, I’ll be on a par 4 in 3 but old one putt kev as I call him with his 100 yrd forwards 2 yards off the floor drive will always half the hole with 1 putting from all angles of the green!

Keep the ball in play and putt well

This year my scores have been all under 100 just by keeping my drives in play , putting has improved since I joined a par 3 course

D

Deleted member 21258

. But I don't really understand their analysis. I average 36 putts a round with an average of 3 3putts per round. Not perfect, for sure, but it claims I am losing 10 shots compared to the average. Now, what average category 5 player needs 26 putts a round? I am just not buying that.

I do lose shots in the shortgame, because even though that is actually the part of my game I practice the most (because it is hassle free and I simply love it, to be honest), I struggle bringing those shots to the course during the round. I am certain that that is more an issue of nerves and lack of concentration than a technical weakness. It is also where quite a few of those 3 putts come from, because instead of chipping or pitching the ball into a position from which I can hole out or at least comfortably 2 putt, I leave myself impossibly long putts after duffed or thinned chips.

I always look more at the near the green figures, so if around the green[within say 10 yards], I would be looking to chip and one putt ideally 50% + of the time. This is a weak part in my game last year and been working on this, as when I played before it was a strong part of my game. The chips ideally need to end within a max of 6 foot radius(ideally 4 foot). Once beyond on that distance the chance of sinking the putt is massively reduced.

If you are taking 3 or 4 most times from this distance that is not good for anyones scores.

From say 10 yards to 60 yards, I would have thought you would want to stop the getting down in 4 from this range to break 100. Getting down in two is a bonus, three should be standard.

At these distances Joanne are not great at, for her its mainly down to putting(she can miss putts from 1 foot and longer very easily, she has a bad technique but is happy to do what she does, as she doesn't really care, top wife:cool:. She only has one method to chip, the low runner and when she can use that she is pretty good). On her good days her driving and fairway shots are okay(lots of 'good' thins, but not to many bad tops/missing etc, thins don't really cost shots for Joanne, as the ball runs out to the same distance)

36 putts is to many for a 'shorter;(I say loosely and not meant in the wrong context, just a statement) hitter of the ball, as I would imagine like Joanne you have a lots of shots from the upto 60 yards and in, range from the green to get to the green in one/two over par.
As with golf, most things are easier said that actually done in golf, it is one infuriating game:rofl:

Last edited by a moderator:

londonlewis

Tour Rookie
www.golfdrawer.com
Don't you just love those?! They don't mean any harm by it. Nothing wrong with stating at the start as you hand your card to someone "oh by the way, I know its silly but I'd really rather not know my score til the end, bit superstitious like that". If they tell you after that they're a numpty.

This reminds me of Will McGirt telling an acedote of talking to Tiger.
McGirt and Tiger were practicing their putting when TW overheard WG say he never looks at the scoreboard on the course. Escpecially when he is coming down the last hole.
Tiger walks over and says 'that's crazy. Do you think Kobe doesn't look at the time left whilst on court?' or something to that effect.

I may have these exact details wrong but I think McGirt won the next week, and was checking the scoreboard on the final day.

Curls

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
This reminds me of Will McGirt telling an acedote of talking to Tiger.
McGirt and Tiger were practicing their putting when TW overheard WG say he never looks at the scoreboard on the course. Escpecially when he is coming down the last hole.
Tiger walks over and says 'that's crazy. Do you think Kobe doesn't look at the time left whilst on court?' or something to that effect.

I may have these exact details wrong but I think McGirt won the next week, and was checking the scoreboard on the final day.

Yeah true story, I think Tiger prefaced that with "you're an idiot".

Good ole Tiger. Always making friends 😀

Sweep

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Good luck with this. Breaking through that next barrier is always hard but so rewarding when it happens and believe me, it will. I admire your determination.
From what you say, it sounds like your home course is quite tough and that just makes things harder. Always lots of pitfalls and that can get frustrating when you are getting close to your target. If you can break 100 there you can break it pretty much anywhere.
Keep us posted. I am looking forward to hearing how you get on.

Jasonr

Club Champion
Visit site
Sorry Capella, bit late to this thread but I wish you all the best.

I spent ages trying to break 100 and you will be pleased to know that once done breaking 90 came a lot quicker (to be fair I only did it once and I was in-between jobs and playing a lot).

I am now back in the same position as you after a very long hiatus from the sport and will be watching this thread with interest.

Good luck

Sports_Fanatic

Assistant Pro
Visit site
May be a little too early, and not wanting to put pressure on but this thread popped into my head and just wondered how you're getting on?

Have you found the website, tutorials and challenge helpful in the initial stage?

shortgame

Tour Rookie
Visit site
Good luck! Have had a lesson with Piers and played golf with Andy and they're great guys, explain the golf swing so clearly, hope the program helps

Same here, they are genuine nice guys and very easy to get on with and their advice in my experience is spot on

shortgame

Tour Rookie
Visit site
I played with a 21 capper tonight, hits a good ball now and again, never really hit any real bad shots but his choice of shots at times was terrible, like 4 iron out of fairway bunkers. I reckon I could cut easy 3 or 4 shots of a round of his if he'd listen to my advice....

Well said - see it all the time 👍

Better shot selection and better thinking in general can be the lowest hanging fruit to better scores and easier to master (in theory !) than technical improvements

Capella

Journeyman Pro
blog.jutta-jordans.de
I must admit that I was a bit distracted by getting my new Cobra irons and fiddling with the Cobra CONNECT system the last few times I went to the range or the course, so I have not been practicing according to the program.

I do the putting drills regularly and find them very helpful. As for the drills on the range ... I don't think that ballstriking is my issue at the moment (except for finding the strike with the new irons ... not quite there yet, they just set up to the ball totally different from my old ones and I tend to leave them a tad open, but that's not something the Breaking100 program is going to help me with).

The MeAndMyGolf videos are good, they are well structured, easy to understand and Piers and Andy come across as genuinely nice guys (which they are in real life as well btw. I met them at Faro airport once and they were really super friendly). But I am not sure the videos will help me in breaking 100. I do have all the tools and skills I need for that. I just need all those tools and skills to work, for once, all on the same day. But I still think I will stay on the Vip membership plan for a while. There is a lot of great content on their site and they really take the time to answer all comments/questions which are posted.

MadAdey

Money List Winner
Visit site
100% cabby. decison making is half the reason high handicaps bleed shots.

if you can cut out duff shots then breaking 100 should be more than achievable.

I am a big believer in this too. High handicappers need some lessons to get some kind of swing to use, then they need to learn how to navigate around the course. Duff shots do not stop people breaking 100, but bad decisions do. Trying to hit a low punched 5i through a 5 yard gap that is 20 yards away is crazy. More often than not the higher handicapper will hit the tree, end up in more trouble and then have to come out sidewards leaving them a 150 yard shot for their 4th. Where jump back a shot and you could have knocked it out leaving an 80 yard shot for your 3rd.

Monty said years ago that before you go out spending hundreds on a new set of clubs thinking that it will drop your score, give him half of what your gonna spend, stick with your current clubs and he will guarantee to knock 5 shots off.

londonlewis

Tour Rookie
www.golfdrawer.com
What MadAdey said is a really good point and will definitely be great advice to a lot of golfers but not all, I think.

Surely it's a bit like a flow chart, which will be really difficult to write in this box and I don't have the time to create one and attach.

But it would be a bit like;
Do you lose most of your shots on the coure because of poor tee shots?
Yes
Is this because you put yourself in difficult positions, like in the trees / out of bounds / in a hazard?
Yes - you need to hit the ball straight - learn this and your scores will come down

No (to the above question)
Ok, do you find the fairway but often leave yourself a difficult shot?
Yes - you need to work on course management. Think one shot ahead, what shot would leave you the best chance of hitting a good shot next?

Or if the answer to the first questions was no.
You hit the fairway with your tee shot but struggle to hit a good second shot. Does your approach to the green typically finish more than 10 yards away from the green?
Yes - this is what you need to focus on

Or No - your approach to the green finishes within 5 yards of the green?
Yes - you need to work on your chipping

Or - I often hit GIR - you need to focus on your putting

etc... ...

I would imagine that a lot of high handicappers could genuinely benefit from two main things;
Improvements in the short game - chipping, pitching, bunkers and putting
Improvements to course management

It won't be a cure all for everyone, some people just won't break 100 ever, but for those that should and currently don't, I would say these two areas will help them the fastest.