MeAndMyGolf Breaking100 program

Capella

Journeyman Pro
blog.jutta-jordans.de
Even though I've been playing golf for almost 4 years now and had lessons from several pros during that time, I have not broken 100 yet. Guess, I am just a bit hopeless. And, to be honest, it bugs me. So when MeAndMyGolf brought out a new series of videos pretty much promising to get you to break 100 in the course of six weeks, I was both highly sceptical and at the same time intrigued. They put their first video on YouTube for free (something they always do with their coaching programs, I think), but you have to sign up to get access to the rest of them. Signing up is either 32 pounds for the Breaking100 series or you can get a full access membership for all their content for 9.99 a month with a 30 day free trial.

After watching the first video I went to the golf course and driving range yesterday to give the drills and exercises a go and I was pretty pleased with it, so I did subscribe for the membership today. I figure, if the rest of the series is disappointing, I'll just leave again once the free trial period is over.

I plan to really commit to this; the recommended effort is putting in two practice sessions a week (50 range balls, some putting, some shortgame) plus 9 or 18 holes twice a week. So let's see if I can finally break 100 this season (in which case I will forever sing praise for MeAndMyGolf) or not (in which case I will silently resign to the fact that I am just not meant for any kind of athletic endeavour)

The first video can be found here, in case anyone is interested:
https://youtu.be/ROEJS0LLRPo

I'll let you know how I get on.

NorwichBanana

Assistant Pro
Visit site
Best of luck, I remember the struggles of breaking 90, and it seems to be a mental block more so than ability. Just believe you can do it, and you sure will!

foreputt

Visit site
Good luck mate!

I found this the other week after a few being unable to break 100 in medals, did the drills took them seriously and incorporated the half swing into pre shot routine and it has worked a treat. Played to my handicap of the stones resulting in a nice cut and confidence going into the season! I’ve only seen the first one but am considering signing up myself!

Hope you manage it, let us know which aspect you find particularly helpful too!

Last edited:

Orikoru

Tour Winner
Visit site
Good luck! I really like the MeAndMyGolf duo. I don't think I'd ever pay to watch them, but they are really good on their videos. I learned a few things from them by watching their freebies they have on YouTube. I find them easy to understand and relate to.

Dan2501

Tour Winner
Visit site
Good luck! Have had a lesson with Piers and played golf with Andy and they're great guys, explain the golf swing so clearly, hope the program helps - I'm sure you'll be shooting in the 90's in no time :)

User101

Blackballed
Banned
Visit site
I've seen the vids but not watched them but, I bet any decent single figure capper can talk you round and get you breaking a ton purely on shot selection and execution.

foreputt

Visit site
i think the idea of this is that it rules out shot selection by focusing on the execution of your standard full shots and a high chip and low chip. I would love to have a single figure handicap to usher me round the course but that isn’t an option for many.

When you say talk you round do you mean act as a caddy in effect?

Curls

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Hi Capella,

I think any structured practice that you stick to will be a good thing, particularly in the short game. But the question is, what part of your game do you think is holding you back? When you compete with people who are shooting in the 90s (forget the low folks for now), what's the main difference? Are they outdriving you by a mile? Do they seem like better putters? Reason I'm asking is statistically you might be incorrect about where you think you're lacking, but mentally you will struggle if you always see yourself as a bad putter/driver/approcah play/pitcher etc etc.

Breaking 100 for the first time will be great, and without seeing you play no one can advise you on how best to get there. Certainly sounds like a good idea to follow a plan. But one bit of advice I would say stands is don't add your score up! The last thing you want is realising you only need to bogey your last 3 holes to break 100. It'll be too much pressue. Once the mental barrier is breached then by all means, add up and try to beat that pressure. But first time it's best to just do it and realise after that you do have what it takes. Best of luck on your journey!!!

Hacker Khan

Yurt Dwelling, Yoghurt Knitter
Visit site
9.99 a month to watch some generic swing videos, and people complained that Crossfield was taking the mickey ;)

I think it is a clever trick to get people to pay for youtube golf swing/drill vidoes that are not specifically tailored to your specific issues as there are so many out there now. I've watched a bit of their stuff and I do agree it is well explained and makes sense. But I'd probably be too wary myself of the advice being a bit too generic or a bit too focused on having one way of swinging the club. But then again it may be that they feel that by getting people to focus on doing the basics right then that will get them below the 100 mark, and then to improve further you will need more tailored advice. Hope it works out well for the OP.

Curls

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Meant to say, this is worth a watch if you fancy something structured (he links the excel table below the video). Keep in mind this is college golf, some of the skills and numbers here are not going to be achievable by all, but like he says you might just take one or two things from it (and for me, its even the idea of having something so structured that I've never thought of before. I'm not sure I have the time to dedicate to this, but it has opened my eyes to what some folk do).

[video=youtube;6G6TENDh8dU]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6G6TENDh8dU&app=desktop[/video]

Capella

Journeyman Pro
blog.jutta-jordans.de
But the question is, what part of your game do you think is holding you back?

If I am to trust the stats app I am using, what's holding me back most is the putting. It does not feel that bad to me, though, even though, yeah, I could gain a few shots there for sure. Mentally I feel that what is holding me back the most is too many real misses (horrible fat shots, but also the occasional shank or even air shot) with all my long distance clubs. My tee shots are usually pretty good, but I have trouble covering the ground to the green. Shorter irons are a bit more reliable, so instead of trying to get my second shot as far down the fairway as possible (reaching the green is usually not an option anyway), I have begun to split it down into two mid- to short irons instead. Short game is actually okay most of the time. Bunkers are a bit hit and miss usually.

Good point about the score. I normally do make an effort to not add my score up in my head, especially not in a comp round. And I hate when I have a marker who feels it is her or his responsibility to remind me of the fact that I just need to double bogey the last two holes to break my handicap or something like that.

pieface

Medal Winner
Visit site
I'm in the same boat, I'm 99% sure I'm going to break 100 in the weeks/months to come, I keep shooting 40-50 front 9 followed by a terrible back 9.

Curls

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
If I am to trust the stats app I am using, what's holding me back most is the putting.

On average how many 3+ putts (including from off the green) would you say you have in a round? If it's more than 4 or 5 then yeah, you might either need a change of technique or a load of structured practice time. My first two rounds this season we 38 and 39 putt performances, and no, we're not talking a combined total of 25 miles :( Last two rounds have had 1 three putt each. Just found a tiny change in grip and it all fell into place, so you may not be as far away as you think.

too many real misses (horrible fat shots, but also the occasional shank or even air shot) with all my long distance clubs... trouble covering the ground to the green.

Using your strategy of keeping it in play and only using mid irons to progress, do you still usually make greenside in 3 on a par 4? If so it might not really be that thats holding you back.

Bunkers are a bit hit and miss usually.

They are for everyone. Though there were a few threads on them recently and it seems plenty folk are using techniques that only really work if you have the sort of dry fluffy deep sand you find on American courses. The wet, compact, sometimes shallow, sometimes deep, sometimes fine, sometimes coarse variables we have in Europe demand a simpler strategy, which Bobmac demonstrated in a clip. Having one technique that you only vary your setup is great and increases confidence in what is essentially a confidence part of the game.

a marker who feels it is her or his responsibility to remind me of the fact that I just need to double bogey the last two holes to break my handicap or something like that.

Don't you just love those?! They don't mean any harm by it. Nothing wrong with stating at the start as you hand your card to someone "oh by the way, I know its silly but I'd really rather not know my score til the end, bit superstitious like that". If they tell you after that they're a numpty.

HomerJSimpson

Hall of Famer
Visit site
Hope it works. I enjoy their videos and they make some good, easy to understand and logical content. I've followed your progress since you joined and sure that you can break 100. Work hard on the series, but don't let the score and breaking 100 be a mill stone around your neck. Go out, have fun, trust the work you've done at the range and let the score come

Carpfather1

Head Pro
Visit site
Hope it works. I enjoy their videos and they make some good, easy to understand and logical content. I've followed your progress since you joined and sure that you can break 100. Work hard on the series, but don't let the score and breaking 100 be a mill stone around your neck. Go out, have fun, trust the work you've done at the range and let the score come
Agree with this ,don’t put so much pressure on your self go out and enjoy your golf it’ll happen 👍

User101

Blackballed
Banned
Visit site
I played with a 21 capper tonight, hits a good ball now and again, never really hit any real bad shots but his choice of shots at times was terrible, like 4 iron out of fairway bunkers. I reckon I could cut easy 3 or 4 shots of a round of his if he'd listen to my advice....

pieface

Medal Winner
Visit site
I quite regularly hit a long iron out of a bunker, not really had it go wrong yet. If the bunker isn't really steep and the. All is sitting on the top then why not?

garyinderry

Ryder Cup Winner
Visit site
I played with a 21 capper tonight, hits a good ball now and again, never really hit any real bad shots but his choice of shots at times was terrible, like 4 iron out of fairway bunkers. I reckon I could cut easy 3 or 4 shots of a round of his if he'd listen to my advice....

100% cabby. decison making is half the reason high handicaps bleed shots.

if you can cut out duff shots then breaking 100 should be more than achievable.