maybe a stupid question are you allowed to take divot on practice swing?

Oddsocks

Ryder Cup Winner
Visit site
Depends if the same " other bloke/mate" who has the titleist tour bag with he's name on it! ;)

But in all seriousness why wouldn't you say anything... I'd have gave him two shots/6 divots before pulling him up, why wouldn't you? Put it any other way would you let him do that in your garden?

Doon frae Troon

Ryder Cup Winner
Visit site
I'd have picked his first couple up for him and replaced them.

Only a helmet wouldn't have got the hint after that.

I have done that on a few occasions, works really well, especially if you take quite a time doing it.
If the penny does not drop then I'm afraid it's burning ears time.
If he reacts badly, walk off the course as you will be associated with his actions.

Tashyboy

Please don’t ask to see my tatts 👍
Visit site
And that is why we currently have a topic on using mats at golf courses coz mr divot don't mind making divots but don't like replacing them.

One Planer

Global Moderator
Visit site
maybe a stupid question are you allowed to take divot on practice swing? played with a guy today 2 practice swings 2 massive divots looked like air balls to me at first but after 10 holes of it realized it was his routine, bet the green keepers love that?

must be a nightmare collecting 3 divots before heading to play your next shot!

he left them all,what the hell could i say to him? how would you put it?

Obviously I'm the only one who thinks this is a wind up?

Qwerty

Tour Winner
Visit site
maybe a stupid question are you allowed to take divot on practice swing? played with a guy today 2 practice swings 2 massive divots looked like air balls to me at first but after 10 holes of it realized it was his routine, bet the green keepers love that?

Did he seem like he'd been playing the game a while or just starting out ?

G

guest100718

I dont see the issue. Just tell him to replace the divots as its whats expected of all golfers. I dont get the need to take them on the practice swing either.

I take a huge divot with the wedge but not on a pactice swing.

bladeplayer

Money List Winner
Visit site
I'd have picked his first couple up for him and handed them to him to replace himself .

He would or should soon get the message ..

Mark my golf is never as interesting as yours , im starting to think i may be doing something wrong or at least playing with the wrong people or at the wrong places :D

North Mimms

Tour Winner
Visit site
He would or should soon get the message ..

Mark my golf is never as interesting as yours , im starting to think i may be doing something wrong or at least playing with the wrong people or at the wrong places :D

A round of golf with markgs and delc would be non stop controversy!

Joff

Challenge Tour Pro
Visit site
My practice swing occasionally creates a divot. Of course I replace it. One time, playing with our greenkeeper I was having a sideways practice swing (not towards the target) and the divot went plum in his face. I deserved the look and comment I got. And probably more.

la_lucha

Tour Rookie
Visit site
I tend to replace some nearby divots and say out loud how it pees me off when people take a divot and don't bother to replace them. If he doesn't get the hint something as straight forwards as who is going to replace your divots then pal usually works.

I did exactly this during our winter league, chap says oh I didn't realise I was taking any as I was looking down. At which point both my and his playing partners told him quite firmly that he had been taking them on every shot and practice swing.

Sometimes in a fourball it just takes one person to speak up and then everyone lets them know it's not fair.

Of course it'd be a laugh to chuck it back towards him after his shot and watch the shock when he sees a huge divot flying toward his chest.

Alex1975

Tour Winner
Visit site
Ye, Im not sure I would cover the taking of divots but the dude needs to be putting them back. I would go for a cheaky smile but be blunt... "dude, dont hack my course up!!!" Smile smile....

duncan mackie

Money List Winner
Visit site
I would start as Whee, and follow up with the anecdotal (to me) story of owner of a reasonably new golf club owner who was in the club house watching players playing the 18th - all took large divots and none replaced them....

when they got in the membership manager had, on the owners instruction, an envelope for each with a cheque in it representing the (significant) balance of their years subscription.

Doon frae Troon

Ryder Cup Winner
Visit site
There was a legendary cartoon [Hackett I think] That had a cowering visiting golfer being lectured to by the famous old Muirfield Secretary Col Evans-Loan.
The good Col was saying 'At Muirfield we always replace the divot with the grain facing the correct way'.

HomerJSimpson

Hall of Famer
Visit site
Tell him the sign saying please replace your divots applies to him as well as everyone else. If that doesnt work ask him how he would react if he hits one down the middle and finds his ball in a massive un repaired divot? If still not tell him that his etiquette is awful and that you wont be playing with him again :)

Is the correct answer.