May as well have most outrageous unlucky shot

ferenezejohn

Visit site
Playing at Daytona Beach with my sister's partner who's ball had a fetish for fish.
Just come of a par 3 with a pond which he had managed to find, he tees up on the next hole ,says thank God no water on this one, then tops his drive which ricochets of the market on the ladies tee in front of us straight into the pond behind us, I was gutted, he the proceeds to tee up another ball so I tell him he can't as it nearer the hole it was priceless.

need_my_wedge

Has Now Found His Wedgie
Visit site
Actually, that's an interesting scenario. Yes technically, the tee is closer than the pond behind, but surely, the tee is the start of the hole, so is the furthest point away from the hole, on that hole? Can you be further away than the tee? Is the ball lost off the tee, therefore a provisional can be declared? You can take a drop out of water no nearer the hole, or you can play a ball from where you last played from. I'd like to know for sure if that is the right decision?

Last edited:

tugglesf239

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
West midland GC.

Been smashing it round all day and was flushing everything in sight.

Step up to the TPC sawgrass like par 3 18th playing about 130 ish.

Pull out my PW and proceed to hit a laser guided shot straight at the pin.

This thing is literally all over the flag and I’m thinking birdie putt at the absolute worst.

Thing is though the ball keeps going. Keeps flying and eventually lands with a splash of the back of the green.

In dismay I’m checking yardages and even re lasered the pin.

I was right though. It was playing 130 exactly.

Only when I slammed my trusty PW back in the bag that I realised I’d actually hit my 8 iron.

What a choob. Don’t ask me how you confuse an 8 with a P

Was furious. Think I got a 6 in the end..

ferenezejohn

Visit site
Actually, that's an interesting scenario. Yes technically, the tee is closer than the pond behind, but surely, the tee is the start of the hole, so is the furthest point away from the hole, on that hole? Can you be further away than the tee? Is the ball lost off the tee, therefore a provisional can be declared? You can take a drop out of water no nearer the hole, or you can play a ball from where you last played from. I'd like to know for sure if that is the right decision?
The ball can't be lost in the water as we both saw it splash therefore I believe it was the right decision.

need_my_wedge

Has Now Found His Wedgie
Visit site
The ball can't be lost in the water as we both saw it splash therefore I believe it was the right decision.

I get that, this instance is different because the ball has gone backwards and passed the starting point of the hole. Normally, if you go into the water, one of the options is to play under penalty from where you played your last shot. I think that 3 off the tee is permissible in this situation.

If it was a friendly game with a mate, then it would definitely be permissible, whilst laughing our socks off, but if you really dislike your sisters partner that much :ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO:

jim8flog

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
I would also go with replaying from the tee. The rule makes no mention of being closer to the hole for option d. (1)

d. Relief for Ball in Penalty Area
If a player’s ball is in a penalty area, including when it is known or virtually certain to be in a penalty area even though not found, the player has these relief options, each for one penalty stroke:
(1) Stroke-and-Distance Relief. The player may play the original ball or another ball from where the previous stroke was made (see Rule 14.6).

patricks148

Global Moderator
Visit site
hit the bottom of the flag on the 4th at Nairn, took a big bounce left, hit the rocks and onto the beach... watched and found hilarious by my mates in the goup in front stood on the 5th Tee:cry:

Parsaregood

Head Pro
Visit site
Hit a wedge into a green, straight down the flag, it hit the very top of the flagstick and bounced about 20 feet up into the air before landing in a bush behind the green

sunshine

Visit site

Imagine you're playing the 11th at Augusta (not this year!), you have a 2 foot downhill putt for birdie, you opt to hit it firm into the back of the cup but it misses, rolls 20 feet past the hole and carries on downhill, eventually trickling off the green and into the water. Under stroke and distance you can always elect to replay your 2 foot putt.

jim8flog

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
I had been using the same tee peg for 6 months until I played the 'heart attack hill' hole at West Wilts deep drop in front of the tee lost never to be seen again.

Orikoru

Tour Winner
Visit site
In bold for me - I thought you can always take stroke and distance and replay the shot at the point it was replayed from, at cost of one penalty stroke. Irrelevant that the shot went behind you.

Grant85

Head Pro
Visit site
Fairly sure you can go back to the tee in any instance (other than holding it) after one swing on a hole and play your 3rd shot.

Captainron

Big Hitting, South African Sweary Person
Visit site
Second hole at Skukuza in the Kruger Park back home is a 130 yard par 3. Bit of water left and right and the bush behind. Big old dead tree about 20 yards behind the green too.
I hit wedge but thin it a touch (read bladed just below the equator) and it took off like a missile. Hits a thin branch of the dead tree in ricocheted back onto the green.

D

Deleted member 21258

Cant think one for me, but did see the wife at Notts hit a great drive on a par 3 that was tracking the flag and thought hole in one chance.

Wasn't to be, hit the pin and went flying off, so close but not to be. Did tell her not to hit it so hard next time and give it a chance to drop.;)

ferenezejohn

Visit site
Dont think you can
When the ball is holed as defined then the hole is over....
Why would you want to anyway :whistle:
You wouldn't want to, but if you were playing match play and say inadvertently played out of turn or outside the teeing ground at a par 3 and holed it your opponent under the rules could cancel your stroke making you play it again.
I'm bored ? imagine playing a mate and he done that to you?
Being Scottish of course I would let the stroke stand just to get a free drink?

Grant85

Head Pro
Visit site
You can also go back to the tee if you hole out?

No, I said any instance, other than holing out.

i.e. as long as you have only played 1 shot and not completed the hole, you will always have the option of going back to the tee.

There was a situation where Kevin Na racked up a score a few years ago. He was in the woods with kind of thick, dead branches / twigs. He found the ball and elected to play it as no obvious dropping spots nearby so only remaining option was to go back to the tee. He took 1 swing at it and it was in much the same spot. At that point, he now couldn't go back to the tee, so his only options were to keep hacking or take a drop if there was somewhere preferable to drop from.

Edit - it was in the 2011 Valero Texas Open and he recorded a 16!