Matt Wallace - again!

Jacko_G

Blackballed
Visit site
This guy is my marmite! Love him and hate him in equal amounts, what a swing and talent but boy is he a total tit!

Again today in Germany he's tossing clubs about, slamming clubs into the turf and being a petulant spoiled brat.

After he duck hooked his drive into water at 18 (yes him, not his caddy) he launched into a verbal tirade at his caddie. Absolutely disgusting behavior and it's all too common from him. Wasn't that long ago he had to apologise for slamming his putter into the green at Hillside.

Also seems to be some unconfirmed reports on social media that he grabbed his caddie by the bib on 18 but I haven't seen that. If that's true it's truly disgusting and he should be banned for a good period of time. Not sure if that happened or not though.

larmen

Head Pro
Visit site
It wouldn’t be the right thing but I am amusing myself with the thought that when the player chucks the club into the pond the caddie chucks the whole bag after it.

HomerJSimpson

Hall of Famer
Visit site
The ET has a code of conduct and I'm sure if there is anything proven to have happened with the caddy that violates that then he'll get dealt with. He isn't alone in the petulant behaviour (Garcia!!!!) and to be honest to a degree I like the fact that it matters to him and a bad shot annoys him. Makes him no different to many of us. None of us know the relationship he has with a caddy and so his verbal outburst may be spoken about and forgotten or his caddy might let it run off like water off a ducks back as he knows his boss is getting his emotions out. Of course I don't condone damaging the course

Jacko_G

Blackballed
Visit site
The ET has a code of conduct and I'm sure if there is anything proven to have happened with the caddy that violates that then he'll get dealt with. He isn't alone in the petulant behaviour (Garcia!!!!) and to be honest to a degree I like the fact that it matters to him and a bad shot annoys him. Makes him no different to many of us. None of us know the relationship he has with a caddy and so his verbal outburst may be spoken about and forgotten or his caddy might let it run off like water off a ducks back as he knows his boss is getting his emotions out. Of course I don't condone damaging the course

Might make him no different to you but I've never slammed a putter into the 18th green!

D

Deleted member 15344

Wallace certainly has a bit of a firey temper , but as with Hatton it doesn’t bother me if he has arguments with his caddy and throws clubs etc - Seve wasn’t exactly an angel with his caddies and plenty of players have throw toys as well as clubs around. Spieth the other day was going mental at his caddy and the caddies have a choice and can walk away. I suspect it’s just a verbal punch bag for the player and maybe the caddy is aware off it

The line though is damage to the course - Wallace slammed his putter down at an event a couple weeks back , only been that one incident, plenty of players have done the same - but it’s poor and any players action that could affect the playing conditions should result in some sort of punishment

As for the “assault” - it seems that is stemmed from one person who so far has failed to back it up from what I can see on Twitter.

Sportsman and women get angry - I guess that’s what happens when the sport is someone’s livelihood

HomerJSimpson

Hall of Famer
Visit site
Might make him no different to you but I've never slammed a putter into the 18th green!
Read it again. I clearly said I don't condone damaging the course.

Plenty of players have not always treated caddies well over the years. While it's true that a caddy has a choice and can walk away, should one choose to do so mid-round I'd be surprised if they got another bag soon after.

pokerjoke

Money List Winner
Visit site
I watched it live and never saw him grab the caddie.
He’s a total Pratt though and I seriously dislike him on the golf course.
He hit a 7 iron left on a hole,smashed it into the ground and left it dug in for the caddie to pull out.

Dan2501

Tour Winner
Visit site
Would be interesting to see the difference of opinion, or if the responses here and on social would be more extreme if it was one of the popular Americans (Tiger for example) doing the same, berating their caddy, throwing clubs, slamming putters into the green. I like Wallace and think he's going to be a top player, but some of his behaviour on the course is a joke and is an area he really needs to work on, it can't help his game, surely?

Jacko_G

Blackballed
Visit site
Wallace certainly has a bit of a firey temper , but as with Hatton it doesn’t bother me if he has arguments with his caddy and throws clubs etc - Seve wasn’t exactly an angel with his caddies and plenty of players have throw toys as well as clubs around. Spieth the other day was going mental at his caddy and the caddies have a choice and can walk away. I suspect it’s just a verbal punch bag for the player and maybe the caddy is aware off it

The line though is damage to the course - Wallace slammed his putter down at an event a couple weeks back , only been that one incident, plenty of players have done the same - but it’s poor and any players action that could affect the playing conditions should result in some sort of punishment

As for the “assault” - it seems that is stemmed from one person who so far has failed to back it up from what I can see on Twitter.

Sportsman and women get angry - I guess that’s what happens when the sport is someone’s livelihood

What has Seve got to do with it?

Jacko_G

Blackballed
Visit site
Would be interesting to see the difference of opinion, or if the responses here and on social would be more extreme if it was one of the popular Americans (Tiger for example) doing the same, berating their caddy, throwing clubs, slamming putters into the green. I like Wallace and think he's going to be a top player, but some of his behaviour on the course is a joke and is an area he really needs to work on, it can't help his game, surely?

I'd be posting the exact same if it was DJ or Tiger or whoever. These guys should be setting examples and be role models to younger golfers.

HomerJSimpson

Hall of Famer
Visit site
I watched it live and never saw him grab the caddie.
He’s a total Pratt though and I seriously dislike him on the golf course.
He hit a 7 iron left on a hole,smashed it into the ground and left it dug in for the caddie to pull out.
I thought the ET and the players committee reviewed this and took action for this sort of action. Usually done behind closed doors (which I'm torn between thinking is a good or bad thing)

User20204

Visit site
I like a player with a bit of fire in his belly, like Patrick Reed, who cares what others think of you, particularly nobodies watching from their living room settee.

Wolf

Visit site
Matt Wallace is a 1st class 🔔🔚

There's having passion then there's just acting like a cock and to me that's how he comes across. Launching his 7 iron into ground for the Caddy to retrieve and damaging the course, then grabbing the Caddy, absolutely bang out of order. He's lucky he didn't get one stuck on him.

Swear, have a hissy fit whatever but to behave like he has today and recently is to far and should be dealt with harshly.

D

Deleted member 15344

Matt Wallace is a 1st class 🔔🔚

There's having passion then there's just acting like a cock and to me that's how he comes across. Launching his 7 iron into ground for the Caddy to retrieve and damaging the course, then grabbing the Caddy, absolutely bang out of order. He's lucky he didn't get one stuck on him.

Swear, have a hissy fit whatever but to behave like he has today and recently is to far and should be dealt with harshly.

Has that actually been confirmed then ?