Matchplay rule

chrisd

Major Champion
Visit site
I've been asked whether, in a 4 ball Matchplay, if a player misses the first day of a match which is suspended due to bad weather, but resumed the next day, is the missing player allowed to join the match on the second day.

My answer was I'm sure he can play the next day.

Just want to be sure of my answer being correct

IanMcC

Visit site
I believe it all depends on whether the match was suspended after play started.

If he was late for the tee off, and the other players had commenced the match, he is disqualified under 5.3a

If the match did not commence, however, he is entitled to tee it up with the other 3 players when it resumes. Same Rule.

chrisd

Major Champion
Visit site
I believe it all depends on whether the match was suspended after play started.

If he was late for the tee off, and the other players had commenced the match, he is disqualified under 5.3a

If the match did not commence, however, he is entitled to tee it up with the other 3 players when it resumes. Same Rule.

A partner in a match can join the match at any time, except after a hole has already started, he must wait until the next tee off. It's the "next day" that has been queried

rulie

Head Pro
Visit site
A partner in a match can join the match at any time, except after a hole has already started, he must wait until the next tee off. It's the "next day" that has been queried
Ian's post is incorrect (partner does not need to be present at the starting time), your understanding is correct, and next day doesn't matter.

Last edited:

IanMcC

Visit site
Apologies. I didn't consider 23.4 when I answered earlier. I was correct about your main query, however, regarding resuming on another day.