Matchplay Hole halved or won!

3offTheTee

Tour Rookie
Visit site
This was a 4 ball match play today, nothing at stake but pride and plenty of ribbing. I had 8 shots. Approaching 4th hole we were 1 down. 4th hole is SI 8 par 5 which obviously meant I had a shot. We both had a 6 and the comment may have been a 1/2. This was implied as the other team had the honour on the 5th, could have been tactics but it was not. We did NOT say that was a win for us.

After finishing the 6th I realised I had a shot. Is it too late to claim victory 2 holes earlier?

Would the situation have been any different of we hd completed the round and shaken hands? The reply to the earlier question may make this question irrelevant.

Is there a rule that covers this situation?

jim8flog

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
2) Holes Where Handicap Strokes Applied.

If the players mistakenly apply handicap strokes on a hole, the agreed result of the hole stands, unless the players correct that mistake in time (see Rule 3.2d(3)).

(also applies to failure to apply a handicap stroke)

(3) Knowing Match Score. The players are expected to know the match score – that is, whether one of them leads by a certain number of holes (“holes up” in the match) or the match is tied also known as “all square”).

If the players mistakenly agree on a wrong match score:
  • They may correct the match score before either player makes a stroke to begin another hole or, for the final hole, before the result of the match is final (see Rule 3.2a(5)).
  • If not corrected in that time, that wrong match score becomes the actual match score.

wjemather

Visit site
This was a 4 ball match play today, nothing at stake but pride and plenty of ribbing. I had 8 shots. Approaching 4th hole we were 1 down. 4th hole is SI 8 par 5 which obviously meant I had a shot. We both had a 6 and the comment may have been a 1/2. This was implied as the other team had the honour on the 5th, could have been tactics but it was not. We did NOT say that was a win for us.

After finishing the 6th I realised I had a shot. Is it too late to claim victory 2 holes earlier?

Would the situation have been any different of we hd completed the round and shaken hands? The reply to the earlier question may make this question irrelevant.

Is there a rule that covers this situation?
The relevant rules are 3.2c, and 3.2d(3).