Match play vs stroke play

D

Deleted member 23344

I've always found it strange that shots are given on the hardest holes. I always thought that if you have say, a 5 handicapper against a 10 handicapper, he should get his five shots on SI 6 to 10. So the shot difference is on the same holes that it would be in a stroke play scenario. That sounds fairer to me. So as you say, you're not giving someone a shot on a hole where you need a shot yourself.

Makes sense … hadn’t thought of that.

timd77

Assistant Pro
Visit site
If we’re playing a friendly round and we’ve got plenty of time we’ll play either stroke or stableford. If we’re in a bit of a rush, maybe a round after work, we’ll play matchplay. I personally love matchplay because it makes even a friendly round more competitive.

My only gripe is that I give my PP 2 shots, which happen to be the longest par 4s, he can easily reach in 2, it normally takes me 3, so usually have to get up and down and hope he messes up.

backwoodsman

Tour Winner
Visit site
I've always found it strange that shots are given on the hardest holes. I always thought that if you have say, a 5 handicapper against a 10 handicapper, he should get his five shots on SI 6 to 10. So the shot difference is on the same holes that it would be in a stroke play scenario. That sounds fairer to me. So as you say, you're not giving someone a shot on a hole where you need a shot yourself.
But, on the other hand, under the normal method, he won't be getting a shot on holes where he supposedly does need one but you don't. Swings & roundabouts.

Slab

Occasional Tour Caddy
Visit site

Doesn’t the 5 handicapper only ‘need a shot on a hole’ when they’re playing against a field of players (in stableford) and will count up scores for all 18 holes

Playing 1-on-1 its not really an issue (unless there's a fluke like Imurg's oppo stiffing it on a par 3)

(anyone can win a match while playing pretty poor golf, it just needs to be marginally better than the other bloke)
A 5 handicapper can lose all holes SI 1 to SI 5 against a 10 h/cap (unlikely) and still win the match, with the level playing field on the remaining 13 holes, given they are the better player

patricks148

Global Moderator
Visit site
I play all my golf outside of comps as matchplay.
Quicker less buggering about.

Came across an interesting way this year while caddying for Americans who where playing against other in their groups. You start down. However many shots you give away

For instance if you are getting 5 shots, they start 5 ahead , 10 shots then 10 ahead.
Appeared to have worked from.what I could see.

Last edited:

Orikoru

Tour Winner
Visit site
But, on the other hand, under the normal method, he won't be getting a shot on holes where he supposedly does need one but you don't. Swings & roundabouts.
I get what you mean. But if I take a mate of mine as an example, he's now a shot higher than me but his long game is certainly better than mine. So if I'm playing him and he gets a shot on our SI.1 he's almost guaranteed to win that hole really. Whereas in my proposed system he'd get the shot on a straightforward par 4 which I'd be happier with, because I have a chance of birdying that, and certainly a better chance of parring it.

Mandofred

Visit site
I stay away from matchplay. Too personal for me....and I've heard a lot of stories about people getting upset at each other because they won't give gimmies etc. I like it to be me against the golf course....play the best I can and if it is a good result fine, if not it's only my feelings that get hurt (often:cry:).

RichA

Visit site
I get what you mean. But if I take a mate of mine as an example, he's now a shot higher than me but his long game is certainly better than mine. So if I'm playing him and he gets a shot on our SI.1 he's almost guaranteed to win that hole really. Whereas in my proposed system he'd get the shot on a straightforward par 4 which I'd be happier with, because I have a chance of birdying that, and certainly a better chance of parring it.
SI 1 isn't always the longest par 4 at every course though. It might be technical difficulty that's earned its rating.
I do like your suggested system though.

evemccc

Visit site
There is nothing to prevent clubs from having different sets of SIs for stroke play and match play though.

That is what my club does, and I thought it was done at all clubs?

Imurg

The Grinder Of Pars (Semi Crocked)
Visit site
There is nothing to prevent clubs from having different sets of SIs for stroke play and match play though.

I think I've only come across 2 or 3 in 30 years that do this....
I'd suggest very uncommon these days.
Players would make mistakes if the SIs were on the same card or there's a necessity for 2 cards which adds cost and increases the likelihood of picking up the wrong card...
A lot of golfers aren't the sharpest tools in the box....:whistle:

evemccc

Visit site
I think I've only come across 2 or 3 in 30 years that do this....
I'd suggest very uncommon these days.
Players would make mistakes if the SIs were on the same card or there's a necessity for 2 cards which adds cost and increases the likelihood of picking up the wrong card...
A lot of golfers aren't the sharpest tools in the box....:whistle:

Yep SIs all on the same card…If it’s a match that ‘means something’ then I definitely work out which holes I’m giving / receiving shots on and mark them on the card before getting to the course!

patricks148

Global Moderator
Visit site

I think ours is based on MP alone. We changed all the SI at the start of this year.

backwoodsman

Tour Winner
Visit site
I think ours is based on MP alone. We changed all the SI at the start of this year.
Isn't this the only real sensible way of doing it? (I think ours too is done for matchplay - at least, it's done with high SI's having been given to several holes generally acknowledged to be the harder ones). After all, SI makes no difference for medalplay, and as far as I can tell, makes little difference to stableford - mostly, rearranged SIs mean if you drop a 'stroke' or point on one hole, you'll gain it on another.

CountLippe

Visit site
I don't really think where the shots given matter as long as its not the 1st or 18th (or 9th & 10th for a 2 tee start). SI 1 at the first gives an unfair advantage if a match goes to extra holes, and a match could be over before the shot is received if its the 18th.

evemccc

Visit site
I’ve a biggish matchplay game at the weekend - any tips would be appreciated!

To be honest I normally play matchplay as I would strokeplay - the only things I change are really going for putts if I need to hole it to halve a hole, and if the opponent has put it close then I play more aggressively with my approach — apart from that I play the same

Happy to take advice as to what I should / could be doing differently in matchplay

patricks148

Global Moderator
Visit site
I’ve a biggish matchplay game at the weekend - any tips would be appreciated!

To be honest I normally play matchplay as I would strokeplay - the only things I change are really going for putts if I need to hole it to halve a hole, and if the opponent has put it close then I play more aggressively with my approach — apart from that I play the same

Happy to take advice as to what I should / could be doing differently in matchplay
Giving shots or receiving?