Match play vs stroke play

patricks148

Global Moderator
Visit site
Receiving quite a few…against a very good player
Play to your strengths and use you shots wisely, no need to take on risky shots if you don't need to. Make them have to take the risks and be agressive you enviably have to giving lots of shots away. If you get in trouble get back in play making 5 on a par 4 if you are getting a shot will at times win you the hole.

jim8flog

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Sounds like what you really want is Stroke Indexes allocated specifically for match play, which is how it used to be done many years ago. With the Stableford adjustments becoming part of the handicap system, and Stableford replacing medal and match play as the preferred format for most golf, things changed, and now SIs are allocated for Stableford purposes. There is nothing to prevent clubs from having different sets of SIs for stroke play and match play though.

I think you have got that the wrong way round.

The guidance is about allocating SIs for match play in the main and not difficulty. Appendix E should be read more carefully it seperates the 18 in to 3 x 6 and difficulty is set within each 6, it further recommends odd SI allocations should be on the front 9 and evens on the back nine (what a totally...... artificial system)

We tried two cards when it first came out years ago but too many members did not understand and would use the wrong card for match play.

DeanoMK

Club Champion
Visit site
I love matchplay, don't play enough of it.

My friend's club run it that you start with your handicap difference at the start, so if I got 3 shots I would start 3 up and then it's basically played as a scratch match.

Orikoru

Tour Winner
Visit site

My friend's club run it that you start with your handicap difference at the start, so if I got 3 shots I would start 3 up and then it's basically played as a scratch match.
Not sure I like that. If you're the lower guy it's a totally different mentality going into the match 3 or 4 down already isn't it? As much as you'd tell yourself it's no different, I still think mentally it would be. I suppose it does defeat the issue of only giving shots on difficult holes though.

Edit: hang on a minute, I've just seen rulefan's post and realised it doesn't make sense. ? Doesn't it assume the higher player wins all his shot holes??

HeftyHacker

Visit site
I've always found it strange that shots are given on the hardest holes. I always thought that if you have say, a 5 handicapper against a 10 handicapper, he should get his five shots on SI 6 to 10. So the shot difference is on the same holes that it would be in a stroke play scenario. That sounds fairer to me. So as you say, you're not giving someone a shot on a hole where you need a shot yourself.

This is how we used to play matchplay amongst our mates when we didn't really know/understand how it was meant to be done. It just seemed the most logical way to do it to our minds!

patricks148

Global Moderator
Visit site
I think the americans I mentioned in my post played it as stokeplay. But that doesn't really make sense as it's supposed to be a match play format. Difference in shots was under 10 shots, so if it was mp and more than 18 shots not sure how this work

Steve Wilkes

Visit site

If there's an 18 shot difference in handicap and the 1st hole is halved then the match is over 18 and 17