Match play virgin

njrose51

Challenge Tour Pro
Visit site
Ok so this Thursday my balls get to do something they’ve never done before...play in a match play event!

Nearly 20 years of playing the game and this is the first official match play comp I’ve ever entered.

Any tips, advice or experiences that may help?
cheers

Nick

Imurg

The Grinder Of Pars (Semi Crocked)
Visit site
Just be careful if your opposition is an old guy in a beige cardigan and a red "Bryson" hat who's caddy is a Korean built like a brick :poop:house...mind his hat too.
Use a Penfold Hearts if he uses a Dunlop 65
And you need a wily old caddy yourself(y)

Voyager EMH

Slipper Wearing Plucker of Pheasants
Visit site
If your opponent is someone you don't know, ask him loads of questions about his golfing background, where he lives, job, family etc. Most people find this tiresome and it can put them off their game, but you can pretend that you are being friendly and sociable. Then spend some long periods on the course without saying anything at all. This might really disconcert him. Then resume the barrage of interested questioning again with lots of smiling. Or, ignore all this an just play better than him and beat him. Previous advice was tongue in cheek, of course.

SwingsitlikeHogan

Major Champion
Visit site
Keep going...even if you are playing poorly just try and keep it going.

Played a KO match yesterday against a good 6 capper. I was being given 5 shots and though playing poorly at the moment i was confident I could give him a good game, and if playing not terrible should be able to beat him. But I played dreadful. Was three down after six but kept going - using my shots as best I could, and we walked off 14 all square. Ended up losing 2 down - but as he said - I pushed him and as I kept pushing him to play shots and hole putts he had started making mistakes.

And that’s how it’s always been for me. Just keep going. It’s one hole at a time and your opponent is human too.

harpo_72

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Play your game, be committed to your strategy. Read the situation.. if you don’t fancy the short putt they have make your opponent take it.
Also don’t soldier on, pick up and concede the hole and get to the next tee, and forget the previous hole.

sweaty sock

Hacker
Visit site
100% agree with voyager, beat him/her/they/them etc, by playing comparatively better golf.

Or succumb to petty mind games and acting like a 4 year old.

Make sure you know how many strokes need to be given where and by whom...

Maninblack4612

Tour Winner
www.camera-angles.co.uk
I am useless at remembering the score & it puts me off thinking about it while I'm playing. I tell my opponent on the first tee that I'm going to write the scores down, not because I don't trust him but because I've got a crap memory. Good idea to confirm the score after each hole too.

Also, if your opponent asks you how many you've played you must tell him &, if you accidentally give him the wrong number he can claim the hole.

Orikoru

Tour Winner
Visit site
I would say don't worry about all the mind games that some people go for, just relax and enjoy it, you can give him a few putts early but making him hole a few harder/crucial ones later on. And never give up. I've played a match play before where we were 3 down after 3 holes and still won it before the 18th. Anything can happen on any hole. Just keep playing your best til the end.

Sats

Challenge Tour Pro
Visit site
One of the tips I can give is don't give up the hole too easily a lot can happen on the way to the hole. Saying that if you're on your 6th shot in the rough and they are putting for birdie I'd consider it, but I've walked away with a 1/2 having been 2 shots down on a hole and then they chunked one in the bunker.

cliveb

Head Pro
Visit site
One of the tips I can give is don't give up the hole too easily a lot can happen on the way to the hole. Saying that if you're on your 6th shot in the rough and they are putting for birdie I'd consider it, but I've walked away with a 1/2 having been 2 shots down on a hole and then they chunked one in the bunker.
+1
Never concede a hole until your opponent is on the green.

D

Deleted member 23344

I started playing match play recently ... mainly pairs for my club’s Senior team in inter-club matches. Really enjoyable. Fortunes can swing significantly during a round, so don’t get down if things are not going well on the first few holes ... you may start to play better or your opponent could go off the boil. Hope you enjoy it and let us know how you get on.