Match play virgin

r0wly86

Head Pro
Visit site
don't get sucked into playing your oppo's game. Play your own game how you would any other time

don't chase the game if you fall behind

enjoy it

Robster59

Tour Rookie
www.eastrengolfclub.co.uk
  • Confirm your handicaps before you start so you know which player gets shots on which holes.
  • Confirm the score after every hole (saves confusion/disagreements later)
  • Play your normal game
  • If your opponent hits a bad shot, just try to hit a sensible shot, don't go for the kill. If he puts one in the rough, and you hit down the middle, he may feel the need to go for it.
  • If your opponent doesn't give you any short putts, don't get wound up about it. Gimmees are a bonus, not a right.
  • If you lose a hole, it's just one of 18. Don't let it weigh on your mind.
  • You're playing an opponent, not the course. So don't worry if you score badly for the hole. As long as you score less than the opponent.
  • Relax and enjoy it. It's still golf. You still have to get the ball from the tee into the hole.

njrose51

Challenge Tour Pro
Visit site
Wise words Smiffy as opponent knocked a few chips and putts really close when I thought he was well out of the hole! Must get the hang of doing “great shot!” a bit more sincere though ?

Smiffy

Grand Slam Winner
Visit site
Wise words Smiffy as opponent knocked a few chips and putts really close when I thought he was well out of the hole! Must get the hang of doing “great shot!” a bit more sincere though ?
I remember playing in a four-ball match one day. Got to a tricky par 4 and I had messed it right up. My playing partner was on the green for two, I had a makable putt for a 6 so picked up as we were going to win the hole, surely???
Think again. My partner only went and five putted!! Blimey, you could have knocked me down with a feather. From the jaws of a birdie, he snatched a triple bogey. My how we laughed. Laughed like drains we did. No seriously, we did....????

D

Deleted Member 1156

I remember playing in a four-ball match one day. Got to a tricky par 4 and I had messed it right up. My playing partner was on the green for two, I had a makable putt for a 6 so picked up as we were going to win the hole, surely???
Think again. My partner only went and five putted!! Blimey, you could have knocked me down with a feather. From the jaws of a birdie, he snatched a triple bogey. My how we laughed. Laughed like drains we did. No seriously, we did....????
Blackmoor??....with an esteemed forum member?? :ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO:

chrisd

Major Champion
Visit site

You couldn't put money on that happening could you.

Smiffy

Grand Slam Winner
Visit site
Blackmoor??....with an esteemed forum member?? :ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO:
I think it was Gordon. All a bit hazy now, which is weird. You'd think something like that would be etched into your memory wouldn't you? In fact, chiselled is more the word I would use. Or even lasered. Leave it with me. I'm sure it will come back to me.

You couldn't put money on that happening could you.
I dunno Chris. I guess it all depends on who your playing partner is? If only I could remember.
I know one thing for sure. I'll never, (ever), pick my ball up again when a solid six is on the cards.
Whilst 3 putts are an everyday occurance, and 4 putts are a bit rarer, a 5 putt??? Almost unheard of.
I'd only ever witnessed it once before.
Chap I was playing with hit a par 5 green in 2. He was thrilled. We all were. Terrific drive and approach. Things of beauty. Textbook. YouTube material.
To a man, we applauded him. We all bathed in his glory. It was one of those moments that only come along once in a blue moon, and thank god you were there to share it with him.
We could have cried forty minutes later when we trudged off that green and he'd only secured one point. One point, that's all. It was horrible. Catastrophic some would say.
I've got to go. I'm welling up inside......................

Last edited:

chrisd

Major Champion
Visit site
I think it was Gordon. All a bit hazy now, which is weird. You'd think something like that would be etched into your memory wouldn't you? In fact, chiselled is more the word I would use. Or even lasered. Leave it with me. I'm sure it will come back to me.

I dunno Chris. I guess it all depends on who your playing partner is? If only I could remember.
I know one thing for sure. I'll never, (ever), pick my ball up again when a solid six is on the cards.
Whilst 3 putts are an everyday occurance, and 4 putts are a bit rarer, a 5 putt??? Almost unheard of.
I'd only ever witnessed it once before.
Chap I was playing with hit a par 5 green in 2. He was thrilled. We all were. Terrific drive and approach. Things of beauty. Textbook. YouTube material.
To a man, we applauded him. We all bathed in his glory. It was one of those moments that only come along once in a blue moon, and thank god you were there to share it with him.
We could have cried forty minutes later when we trudged off that green and he'd only secured one point. One point, that's all. It was horrible. Catastrophic some would say.
I've got to go. I'm welling up inside......................

Don't Smiffy, I'm beginning to feel really sad for the unfortunate, but obviously seriously talented golfer, being able to hit two wondrous shots on a seriously long hole, then you did say 5 putt? But then it's possible to hit the ground before ball on the first putt, go too far past on the second, way short on the hugely quick third, and miss the tap in for 4 - thus causing the easy 5 putt.

Anyway, Seve apparently 4 putted in a tour event so to be up there with one of the golfing gods is just but a dream for the perpetrator of this rarely mentioned matter !

Smiffy

Grand Slam Winner
Visit site
Anyway, Seve apparently 4 putted in a tour event so to be up there with one of the golfing gods is just but a dream for the perpetrator of this rarely mentioned matter !

There are 3 big differences between Seve and the poor unfortunate soul that commited this dire act.
1) Seve was a better golfer.
2) Seve was better looking.
and most importantly.....

3) Seve took one less putt.
:unsure::unsure::unsure::unsure:

chrisd

Major Champion
Visit site
There are 3 big differences between Seve and the poor unfortunate soul that commited this dire act.
1) Seve was a better golfer. -

But

1) arguably he was a better golfer, but then a 4 putt becomes much worse than 5 by comparison of ability

2) he's not better looking now

3) one is only a number !

???

Imurg

The Grinder Of Pars (Semi Crocked)
Visit site
1) Seve was a better golfer.

So, like the Murphy's, you're not bitter then..:unsure:

D

Deleted Member 1156

I truly wish I had been there to witness this extraordinary feat that not even Seve could match.

Oh, hang on a minute.............

Doon frae Troon

Ryder Cup Winner
Visit site
Quick update. Was 3 down after 4, and ended up winning 3&2! ?
Well done great start to your match play life.
One important point, momentum is massive in any sport. When it is with you don't lose it when it is against you disrupt it by staying positive.
I played a bowls league match this week 10-1 down after 6 ends, 11-10 up after 11 ends, halved match on 13-13

SaintHacker

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
A while ago in our club knock out I played a cracking game against a great opponent, nip and tuck all the way round,never more than one hole in it. I ended up winning on the (easy) par 4 18th with a 7 ??

Biggleswade Blue

Head Pro
Visit site
A while ago in our club knock out I played a cracking game against a great opponent, nip and tuck all the way round, never more than one hole in it. I ended up winning on the (easy) par 4 18th with a 7 ??

I played my first ever comp last week. Matchplay knockout. 3 down after 10, all square after 13, 2 down after 15, all square after 17.

3 off the tee on 18. I was sure it was over. Then my opponent made a mess from a greenside bunker and we ended up halving the hole.

Playoff hole - I was greenside in 3 with opponent in the trees on two. He made a mess of his third, and in his frustration played a wrong ball. It was the only time in the match I'd been ahead.

My lesson - It's not over until it's over.

Smiffy

Grand Slam Winner
Visit site
I played my first ever comp last week. Matchplay knockout. 3 down after 10, all square after 13, 2 down after 15, all square after 17.

3 off the tee on 18. I was sure it was over. Then my opponent made a mess from a greenside bunker and we ended up halving the hole.

Playoff hole - I was greenside in 3 with opponent in the trees on two. He made a mess of his third, and in his frustration played a wrong ball. It was the only time in the match I'd been ahead.

My lesson - It's not over until it's over.

I'll assume that lot will be on "You've been Framed" at some future date???