Masters 2020

sunshine

Visit site
That's the thing - is it actually 40 yards extra? Maybe on someone like Fitzpatrick, but I don't think it is the same sort of difference against Rory, DJ, etc.

Best of luck to him, but it would be hilarious if he now missed the cut.

Well, the hype suggests Rory, DJ etc are booming it 320 carry, and BdC is getting 360 carry. And BdC famously posted a photo of trackman numbers showing 400 carry. And there's some story going round social media about a practice round with Sandy Lyle where he was hitting wedge / short iron in to all the holes including the par fives, but that's not come from Lyle himself rather second hand via a friend of a friend had a conversation with someone who's daughter once went out with the brother of the caddy of Lyle, and he said Bryson hit it miles.

I would luv it, luv it, if it made no difference and he missed the cut. Equally would be hilarious if Bryson just went out and played a normal driver that went average distances and won it.

MarkT

GM Forum Editor
Visit site
It's stating the obvious but 360 is nuts isn't it. If you transfer that to your home course and a grind of a par 4 at 440 yards he's flicking it in from nowhere. Reckon he won't bother with the 48 incher after all but still be wedging in to plenty of holes. Something weird's going to happen, hopefully a Rory win

D

Deleted member 25172

Someone has transposed Bryson's drives from the US Open, where he had a spread of 65 yards width, onto the Augusta course to see where those same drives would finish.

Needless to say, lump your money on him.

Where can I find this?

Ssshank

Visit site

If that
It's stating the obvious but 360 is nuts isn't it. If you transfer that to your home course and a grind of a par 4 at 440 yards he's flicking it in from nowhere. Reckon he won't bother with the 48 incher after all but still be wedging in to plenty of holes. Something weird's going to happen, hopefully a Rory win

The most impressive thing with Bryson is that his accuracy has remained relatively stable with such a drastic increase in CS.

Not at my course, most of the best scores have been when I've kept the driver in the bag.

The typical parkland course defiantly favours accuracy over distance, the greatest benefit is that you can hit 5 irons as opposed to woods which should be more accurate.

larmen

Head Pro
Visit site
Interested to see the lines Bryson will take off the tee. It will look especially open without the patrons.
Possibly down teh fairway as far as possible? I thought Watson is the guy for creative lines, and he can also hit it a bit. Not sure if there is anything to cut of that course, not familiar with the layout.

Anyway, but a couple of pounds on Bryson, Watson, Smith and Schwartzel. Who knows, if one of the later 2 comes off it could be a nice little earner.

Grant85

Head Pro
Visit site
I will certainly be watching the Masters but I definitely don't feel as excited about it as I usually do.

Maybe it's true that the Masters traditional spot in the calendar gives it a huge advantage with no majors in the 8 months prior to it. Given we have had a couple of majors since August, we have not been quite so starved of major action.

I also think there's something about the Masters in April that means it's proper golf season. November is a depressing time of year golf wise while usually the Masters means you basically have 6 months of solid golf to look forward to with a lot of bright evenings, dry spells of weather and regular competitions coming up.

Lord Tyrion

Money List Winner
Visit site
As a professional who's job it is to win tournaments and piles of cash it is game changing, whilst tours are compliant enough to set courses up to allow him to do this of course. From a pure enjoyment perspective it rules out half of the clubs in his bag, a whole stack of courses being a challenge and would make the game a lot less fun. He's a professional though and I don't know that fun comes into it for him, he has other goals.

HomerJSimpson

Hall of Famer
Visit site
Getting very excited about this years event. I am just watching a very articulate Rory interview (clearly a repeat from earlier - in my defence I was in work). Would be great for him to get the career grand slam. I can't make up my mind if it's this year though.

pendodave

Tour Rookie
Visit site
I will certainly be watching the Masters but I definitely don't feel as excited about it as I usually do.

Maybe it's true that the Masters traditional spot in the calendar gives it a huge advantage with no majors in the 8 months prior to it. Given we have had a couple of majors since August, we have not been quite so starved of major action.

I also think there's something about the Masters in April that means it's proper golf season. November is a depressing time of year golf wise while usually the Masters means you basically have 6 months of solid golf to look forward to with a lot of bright evenings, dry spells of weather and regular competitions coming up.
Hey! You miserable so&so!!
The weather's grim, we're all locked up. It's an international break, we'd normally be served up the silly season father&son stableford shootout....
And instead we have wall to wall proper golf. I couldn't be more pleased myself.

IainP

Occasional Player of Golf
Visit site
The strange thing is everyone seems to forget that he wasn't the longest during the US Open.

Speed/distance is great but you still need to chip/putt well.

If distance was the ultimate goal then why aren't long drivers dominating the Tour as far more money to be made?
Read somewhere although not tried to validate that the US Open stat was total distance but he was ahead on carry, and that will apparently matter more at Augusta.
Maybe just part of the hype machine though.
I'll add a bit more ??
aviary-image-1605043905027.jpeg

Orikoru

Tour Winner
Visit site
Hey! You miserable so&so!!
The weather's grim, we're all locked up. It's an international break, we'd normally be served up the silly season father&son stableford shootout....
And instead we have wall to wall proper golf. I couldn't be more pleased myself.
Agree with this. I've never been so excited for a Masters, absolute sweet Fanny Adams to do except park myself in front of Sky Sports Golf for the next four days. (y)

SaintHacker

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Interesting comments from Butch tonight about BdC chances. Reckons he can't putt without his greens books, and he can't use them at Augusta. Also reckons huge drives won't cut it as you need to be in a particular part of the fairway to hit a particular part of the green to get the ball to feed down to the pin. Mght not be such an issue early on when its going to be wet but if the greens dry out over the weekend...

hairball_89

Club Champion
Visit site
Interesting comments from Butch tonight about BdC chances. Reckons he can't putt without his greens books, and he can't use them at Augusta. Also reckons huge drives won't cut it as you need to be in a particular part of the fairway to hit a particular part of the green to get the ball to feed down to the pin. Mght not be such an issue early on when its going to be wet but if the greens dry out over the weekend...

Might need to be in the right part of the fairway to hit the green with a 6/7 iron, or whatever the hole is "designed" to be attacked with. But when Bryson's gonna have wedges into most of these greens, which by all accounts are going to be softer and slower than 'normal', does position really matter as much? I'm not convinced.

fundy

Ryder Cup Winner
Visit site

or Butch might be a little outdated and not a Bryson fan (plenty of them about)

one way to find out :)

Orikoru

Tour Winner
Visit site
Wishful thinking from an old-timer I suspect. The 'right part of the fairway' is a different ball game when you're hitting sand wedge.

or Butch might be a little outdated and not a Bryson fan (plenty of them about)
Yeah.. this.