Martin Bashir

D

Deleted member 16999

Doesn't matter where you are, not everyone will find the same things funny. That doesn't mean that you should be told you can't joke about them.

Although having said that, my original post has been removed by the mods (which I accept) - "Reason: Just No".
I said “crass and uncalled for.” There’s a line and a time and place, obviously we disagree on this one, but I never told you not to joke about it, I told you my thoughts on your joke and the responses to it.

Wilson

Head Pro
Visit site
Nonsense, they are as biased as hell and have acknowledged their bias- that is NOT political
Do you have a link to this, I’ve had a quick search but couldn’t find anything? As both sides tend to say the BBC is biased, it makes me think they are pretty much down the middle.

chrisd

Major Champion
Visit site
Do you have a link to this, I’ve had a quick search but couldn’t find anything? As both sides tend to say the BBC is biased, it makes me think they are pretty much down the middle.

Google 'BBC admits bias" plenty of stories there

Hobbit

Mordorator
Visit site
Let’s just take a moment to refresh ourselves with the scores on the dirty journalism tally.

BBC 1
Murdoch empire 11111111111111111111111111111111 etc.

Now I'm not defending Bashir but there is a convenient aspect to the timing and that which we cannot talk about in all of this.

Reductive arguments, my Willy is bigger than your Willy, proves nothing. Or more simply put, two wrongs don’t make a right is so shallow.

Deal with each case on its merits. Murdoch and Bashir are as bad as each other in terms of both of them cross the line way too far. Splitting hairs on who is the worst is…. whatever….

rudebhoy

Q-School Graduate
Visit site
I think 2 things can be both true at the same time:

1. Martin Bashir and the BBC were not responsible for her death. Nobody forced her to say the things she said, nor persuaded her to get into a car with a drunk driver nor forget to wear a seatbelt. Nobody forced the drunk driver to speed in a tunnel.
2. Bashir's actions and the resultant cover-ups is just another sign that the BBC want to win a rating's game and compete with private broadcasters. There is nothing wrong with that, but if so, then go ahead and be private but don't hide behind a holier than though attitude with a compulsory tax and fight reform and oversight.

Good post.

The faux outrage from Fleet St was breathtaking in its hypocrisy.

As was the sight of a certain journalist turned politician who was sacked twice for lying saying he was shocked and appalled by another journalist lying.

Swinglowandslow

Visit site
When it comes to the BBC it’s best to remember that there are millions around the UK and indeed overseas territories thats rely on the BBC for many things included news , entertainment, radio , Telly and all for the price of £160 a year. Remove that and many of those millions will be left with what ? Subscription services that are way above what they can afford.

The BBC isnt everyones cup of tea . As for what political side they slant too - well ask the same question to both sides of the spectrum and they will point to other

As for interview - it was going to happen , Diana really wanted to give that interview to someone , she wanted to tell the world how awful her life was as a Princess and it wasn’t the dream that she wanted. Diana also played the media very well for her own gains as well.

That first paragraph is so wrong....
No one is suggesting that the BBC is removed.
Not sure that overseas people pay a licence fee?
You make it sound that those not paying subscription fees for television would be bereft of their TV experience if the BBC wasn't there, and they would be forced to pay subscription.
There is ITV and Channel 4 and Channel 5. That's what they would be "left with "
But , you try to tell us that what they will have will be ," Subscription services that are way above what they can afford."

If I concede, for a moment, that what the BBC provides for £160 per year is good value for money, or even exceptional value for money, why don't bthey offer it on the market place, and let those that wish to have it , pay for it.?

And ,most importantly, why cannot you see the immorality of forcing people to pay that money who do not wish to have their services; and, then , outrageously,to have them prosecuted as criminals and maybe jailed, if they do not pay the money.!

IanM

Journeyman Pro
www.newportgolfclub.org.uk
The defence that BBC journalists are "only completing in the marketplace" is completely incorrect. They are not "operating in the market place. They are funded by taxes and "grants" :) The License is compulsory even if you don't use their services.

So, based on their Charter, they need to be whiter than white. Failing on all fronts.

And

the immorality of forcing people to pay that money who do not wish to have their services; and, then , outrageously, to have them prosecuted as criminals and maybe jailed, if they do not pay the money.!

Yep. About 50 years out of date. End the license and see how they get on.

Ser Shankalot

Visit site
The contradiction that is the BBC is apparent in the Culture Secretary saying in an interview this morning that for the BBC to justify its funding model it needs to provide "distinctly British programming" and "project British values". What the heck does that even mean? And I definitely don't want a government minister determining what's on TV tonight - no matter from whichever party. I think North Korean state TV would be funnier.

But the unfortunately current status quo is BBC forcibly takes our money and is responsible to nobody, because they know best. The entire situation should be comedy gold for its own writers - the new Yes Minister.

drdel

Tour Rookie
Visit site
Hitting the BBC by fines or other financial penalties will not hurt those at fault. The revenue is from tax payers and so that's who will provide any cash so fine the individuals òtherwise nothing will change.

Swinglowandslow

Visit site
People joke about all sorts of horrible situations. The Challenger space shuttle disaster, the Herald of Free Enterprise ferry disaster, Jimmy Saville, Michael Jackson, Madeline McCann. If we decide that we can't joke about certain topics because someone might get upset then we're basically cancelling all comedy just in case a single person is offended by the joke.

Well if you're in favour of having no lines to be crossed , and if that sort of thing , about specific people, who no doubt have loved ones, is ok by you, then I really hope that you are in the minority.
To have no sensitivity is a really sad state of affairs.

SwingsitlikeHogan

Major Champion
Visit site
Wasn’t just the reporter!
It was the inept enquiry into any wrongdoing.
The BBC investigating themselves and coming out with “ nothing to see here”
Right to the very top!
It was 25years ago. That the misdemeanour of one reporter and failure of management governance at that time is being used today by the usual individuals in the press and wider to attack the BBC makes clear that this story is being used for political purposes...

Anyway - that said...I am delighted that the PM and his colleagues are so concerned about lies, deceits and cover-ups being used by an individual and an organisation to achieve the ends they desired (Bashir and the BBC of course...)

Last edited:

ExRabbit

Club Champion
Visit site
It was 25years ago. That the misdemeanour of one reporter and failure of management governance at that time is being used today by the usual individuals in the press and wider to attack the BBC makes clear that this story is being used for political purposes...

Anyway - that said...I am delighted that the PM and his colleagues are so concerned about lies, deceits and cover-ups being used by an individual and an organisation to achieve the ends they desired (Bashir and the BBC of course...)

Do you know what that word means?

I kind of hope you aren't just taking the US very lenient version of the meaning to justify your argument.

Hopefully he gets charged with fraud.

Last edited:

backwoodsman

Tour Winner
Visit site
Do you know what that word means?

I kind of hope you aren't just taking the US very lenient version of the meaning to justify your argument.

Hopefully he gets charged with fraud.
Do you know what those words mean?

I kind of hope you aren't just taking the legal definition of the meaning to justify your point

He wont be charged with fraud.
:)

clubchamp98

Journeyman Pro
Visit site

The point is nothing has changed they still run their own enquiries.
So another scandal will take 25 yrs to come to light and another minnow ( graphic designer) thrown out of his job to save face for the top dogs.
That’s the real scandal.
If he was charged and jailed would they have owned up ? I dought it!