Marking Ball Position on Green

SwingsitlikeHogan

Major Champion
Visit site
In marking his ball on the green to lift it my buddy did something I can’t recall ever seeing anyone do before. He marked the ball position with a tee - pressing it into the turf. He then placed his putter clubhead against the tee and placed a ball marker at the heel of the putter. Is this OK?

No idea why he did it that way - unless he was thinking along the lines of how we mark ball position and NPR when taking relief elsewhere on the course (we use a tee) - and have never seen anyone do it like that before.

rosecott

Money List Winner
Visit site
From the definitions in the rules:

To show the spot where a ball is at rest by either:

• Placing a ball-marker right behind or right next to the ball, or
  • Holding a club on the ground right behind or right next to the ball.
This is done to show the spot where the ball must be replaced after it is lifted.

Your player's procedure does not comply.

bobmac

Major Champion
Visit site
In marking his ball on the green to lift it my buddy did something I can’t recall ever seeing anyone do before. He marked the ball position with a tee - pressing it into the turf. He then placed his putter clubhead against the tee and placed a ball marker at the heel of the putter. Is this OK?

No idea why he did it that way - unless he was thinking along the lines of how we mark ball position and NPR when taking relief elsewhere on the course (we use a tee) - and have never seen anyone do it like that before.

If I read that properly, he marked the ball with a tee, then put a marker down a putter head length to the side. I can only guess he's moved the marker off someone's line?

wjemather

Visit site

Using a tee is perfectly ok (it's specifically mentioned in the definitions). Assuming he was then moving his marker out of the way of someone else's line everything seems fine, as long as the procedure was reversed correctly and the ball was replaced on and played from its original spot.

SwingsitlikeHogan

Major Champion
Visit site
Using a tee is perfectly ok (it's specifically mentioned in the definitions). Assuming he was then moving his marker out of the way of someone else's line everything seems fine, as long as the procedure was reversed correctly and the ball was replaced on and played from its original spot.
He marked his ball position with the tee. Then placed a ball marker one clubhead length from the tee. Then picked the tee. I stopped him at that point as I wasn’t sure. But if I had just let it go I think he would have moved his ball marker back - he wouldn’t have used the tee to reverse his procedure.

Aside - I am assuming from previous response that there is no issue about testing the green by pushing a tee into it?

wjemather

Visit site
Aside - I am assuming from previous response that there is no issue about testing the green by pushing a tee into it?
There is only an issue if his intention was testing the green. If he was just marking his ball, then it's fine. It's the same as cleaning your ball by wiping it on the surface of the green. Unless you are deliberately testing the green, there is no penalty.

rulie

Head Pro
Visit site
There is only an issue if his intention was testing the green. If he was just marking his ball, then it's fine. It's the same as cleaning your ball by wiping it on the surface of the green. Unless you are deliberately testing the green, there is no penalty.
Rule 13.1e is about testing of greens and only prohibits deliberately rubbing the surface or rolling a ball. No other actions are included as testing.

jim8flog

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
I normally use a tee to mark my ball unless it's close to someone's line, mainly because I don't have to bend quite so far as when putting down a ball marker. Ok, it's not much of a difference, but at my age, every millimetre counts. :)

I do often do the same but for me it is because at my age I forget where I put my ball marker:unsure:

Colin L

Tour Winner
Visit site
I do often do the same but for me it is because at my age I forget where I put my ball marker:unsure:

And I need a system for finding my car in a supermarket carpark. But never mind. I'm still able, as this morning, to get out on a golf course and play round a golf course. Mustn't grumble, as they say. I'm still here.

mikejohnchapman

Challenge Tour Pro
Visit site
I normally use a tee to mark my ball unless it's close to someone's line, mainly because I don't have to bend quite so far as when putting down a ball marker. Ok, it's not much of a difference, but at my age, every millimetre counts. :)
I often use a tee when marking a long putt as I can't see the marker from behind the hole.

salfordlad

Visit site
Rule 13.1e is about testing of greens and only prohibits deliberately rubbing the surface or rolling a ball. No other actions are included as testing.

Interpretation 13.1e/1 goes even further, stating the rule does not prohibit the player taking other actions even when done for the purpose of testing the putting green.