Mark Crossfield At Taylor Made

Allanxyz

Head Pro
Visit site
Another interesting vid on i25 vs SLDR, from Rick Shiels

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=blWJ_dy53Ag

Interesting that the i25 won... but more interesting that the longest drive with the ping was high launch, low spin...

To me the test is a little flawed... as he was playing two clubs with the same loft setting to make a comparision, even though the two clubs might perform optimally with slightly different lofts (and shafts). In an ideal world they would mess around for half a day trying to find optimum loft and stock shaft combination for each model and then compare.

I guess TM would say "loft up even more" with the SLDR... but ping would probably also say that the results in the video could be improved with further custom fitting...

Plus what works for Rick Shiels or Mark Crossfield might not work for us...

Hacker Khan

Yurt Dwelling, Yoghurt Knitter
Visit site
Another interesting vid on i25 vs SLDR, from Rick Shiels

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=blWJ_dy53Ag

Interesting that the i25 won... but more interesting that the longest drive with the ping was high launch, low spin...

To me the test is a little flawed... as he was playing two clubs with the same loft setting to make a comparision, even though the two clubs might perform optimally with slightly different lofts (and shafts). In an ideal world they would mess around for half a day trying to find optimum loft and stock shaft combination for each model and then compare.

I guess TM would say "loft up even more" with the SLDR... but ping would probably also say that the results in the video could be improved with further custom fitting...

Plus what works for Rick Shiels or Mark Crossfield might not work for us...

Very true. But I can guarantee that it will be different for me as I have a completly different level of competence. All he can do is really say what works best for him and fair play to him for doing that, at least it's an opinion based on testing and not what the manufacturers want you to think.

stevek1969

Money List Winner
Visit site
They did that fitting with TMs Top Man in Sean,really nice lad that knows everything there is to know about shafts ,heads etc. Maybe just fed up of Mark Crossfield talking over him all the time.

I do like watching both Crossfield and Shiels both give good watching.

Alex1975

Tour Winner
Visit site
They did that fitting with TMs Top Man in Sean,really nice lad that knows everything there is to know about shafts ,heads etc. Maybe just fed up of Mark Crossfield talking over him all the time.

I do like watching both Crossfield and Shiels both give good watching.

Talking over him and repeating himself..... :)

So we are going to look at the data... Cut to an identical shot and repeat.... So we are going to look at some data then....

the_coach

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
For years we have been told 11/12* launch with 2500rpm, so what's changed!

A bunch of things together, partly to do with the development of the golf ball and partly to do with being able to measure many more parameters of ball flight and just exactly what happens at the balls collision with the face much more accurately.
Also measure and understand the ball's flight a whole lot better, plus measure whole lot better what happens accurately with different face angles and AoA's, and some to do with the development of driver heads both in size, shape and the development of where the lighter materials allow the manufacturer to place the cg, plus to a certain extent shaft development too, combination of all of these I would say.

drs1878

Head Pro
Visit site
Anybody else notice that's shots 1 and 2 were the same ???

Could have been me in the bay next to him!!!

I do enjoy marks vids, watch most of em and find them quite informative, although each to the own.. What works for one won't work for another!

harpo_72

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Gents if you want to loft up and cheaply just look for a Cleveland Classic strong 3 wood or a mizuno mp series strong 3 both will be sub £60 and both will deliver huge yardages ... If you cannot get them in the shaft stiffness you require just look around for a cheap ust shaft and pop that in you will be amazed . But of cause no one will be impressed because it's not a new shiney !!
Anyway that was some free advice with no product affiliation :)

Wildrover

Tour Rookie
Visit site
What nobody mentioned was control, unsurprisingly for TM. Everyone knows for maximum distance that high launch with low spin is the way to go. The problem is that when the spin gets too low you lose control and will begin to spray it around. It's about finding the right mix of the two.

garyinderry

Ryder Cup Winner
Visit site
Gents if you want to loft up and cheaply just look for a Cleveland Classic strong 3 wood or a mizuno mp series strong 3 both will be sub £60 and both will deliver huge yardages ... If you cannot get them in the shaft stiffness you require just look around for a cheap ust shaft and pop that in you will be amazed . But of cause no one will be impressed because it's not a new shiney !!
Anyway that was some free advice with no product affiliation :)

word of warning. the Cleveland classic woods has a very closed face. if you have a tendency to hook the ball, stay well clear!

Foxholer

Blackballed
Visit site
For years we have been told 11/12* launch with 2500rpm, so what's changed!

2500 rpm has been a realistic 'target'.

No idea where you get 11/12* launch from though. 16-20 has been much more the Launch I've been used to seeing as 'optimal'!

With my 9.5* 9015D I was getting around 16* Launch and 2100 spin, which was pretty optimal - and the best measurement I've had.

Even Crossfield isn't getting down to the 'optimal' 1700 spin - pretty much 2000 (1st one looks a dud)!. Though he has lost '4-500'. That indicates to me that getting a (naturally) low spin head is more important than getting a particular loft. And it would be interesting to know why they didn't use a 12* head - as the launch is still very low. I suspect the answer is that spin would have been higher, so 'Loft Up until optimum' rather than simply 'Loft Up'. And that is really no change from what Pros have been saying for years!

Last edited:

Alex1975

Tour Winner
Visit site
2500 rpm has been a realistic 'target'.

No idea where you get 11/12* launch from though. 16-20 has been much more the Launch I've been used to seeing as 'optimal'!

With my 9.5* 9015D I was getting around 16* Launch and 2100 spin, which was pretty optimal - and the best measurement I've had.

Even Crossfield isn't getting down to the 'optimal' 1700 spin - pretty much 2000 (1st one looks a dud)!. Though he has lost '4-500'. That indicates to me that getting a (naturally) low spin head is more important than getting a particular loft. And it would be interesting to know why they didn't use a 12* head - as the launch is still very low. I suspect the answer is that spin would have been higher, so 'Loft Up until optimum' rather than simply 'Loft Up'. And that is really no change from what Pros have been saying for years!

Have a read of this Foxy, it will give you a little more info about the 17/1700

http://www.mygolfspy.com/mygolfspy-t...m-sldr-loftup/

Foxholer

Blackballed
Visit site
Have a read of this Foxy, it will give you a little more info about the 17/1700

http://www.mygolfspy.com/mygolfspy-t...m-sldr-loftup/

Nothing in there, relating to 17/1700 that I didn't know about 10 years ago! Being able to achieve it is a different story.

It does, however, confirm my (cynical?) thoughts on how the 'Loft Up' idea came about!

Btw. 18/1700, for example, works better at my speed under most conditions, but it's not quite so catchy!

Last edited:

Alex1975

Tour Winner
Visit site
Nothing in there, relating to 17/1700 that I didn't know about 10 years ago! Being able to achieve it is a different story.

It does, however, confirm my (cynical?) thoughts on how the 'Loft Up' idea came about!

Btw. 18/1700, for example, works better at my speed under most conditions, but it's not quite so catchy!

I think what was said was that its actually hard to launch at 17*.

Foxholer

Blackballed
Visit site
I think what was said was that its actually hard to launch at 17*.

Not for some of us!

Getting it down to less than 20* has been a problem for me - in the past!

One thing the wasn't particularly stressed - or maybe it was - was that Crossfield's experience would have said - Oh no; Too high - even at what looked to me a pretty low launch. But with a LM, the numbers don't lie! Same actually happens on any tee. Even after reducing Launch, I felt that my flight was 'too high' compared to the 'nice' flight of PPs. After hearing them also 'complain' about their flight being too high - and a comment from a mate about mine being 'as low as anyone's he'd seen', I figured that it was the illusion of standing directly behind the ball with virtually no perspective available that was the cause.

Ps. Why on earth did you get rid of the 9015D!? 99.9% of the golfing world would swap for those numbers...

Don't remind me! :temper:

Swing speed had dropped, so couldn't load shaft well enough. Good price on Ebay though and I know where it (now) is (a mate who bought of the guy I sold it to), so it could well return. Happily playing with a marginally stiffer shaft in the FT-Donk now after a sojourn with a soft shaft - after breaking left ankle! Numbers (quite a while ago) were quite good with that too - 14 and about 2350 - so all i need to do is hit it harder, while swinging better:whistle:. Easy game really!:whoo:

Last edited:

Alex1975

Tour Winner
Visit site
Not for some of us!

Getting it down to less than 20* has been a problem for me - in the past!

One thing the wasn't particularly stressed - or maybe it was - was that Crossfield's experience would have said - Oh no; Too high - even at what looked to me a pretty low launch. But with a LM, the numbers don't lie! Same actually happens on any tee. Even after reducing Launch, I felt that my flight was 'too high' compared to the 'nice' flight of PPs. After hearing them also 'complain' about their flight being too high - and a comment from a mate about mine being 'as low as anyone's he'd seen', I figured that it was the illusion of standing directly behind the ball with virtually no perspective available that was the cause.

Don't remind me! :temper:

Swing speed had dropped, so couldn't load shaft well enough. Good price on Ebay though and I know where it (now) is (a mate who bought of the guy I sold it to), so it could well return. Happily playing with a marginally stiffer shaft in the FT-Donk now after a sojourn with a soft shaft - after breaking left ankle! Numbers (quite a while ago) were quite good with that too - 14 and about 2350 - so all i need to do is hit it harder, while swinging better:whistle:. Easy game really!:whoo:

The fact (in inverted comers) is that Mark gained about 10 yards carry from what i see from his many other videos. It did not top out too much more than any other so not getting up into the wind any more than his Nike or Ping. I have to confess to being intrigued.

As an aside, I wonder what shaft they put in that club as Mark usually used whatever stock shaft comes in the club he likes.