Cross field Pga show honesty ?

Trojan615

Head Pro
Visit site
Interesting video from Mark “marmite” Crossfield ...

https://youtu.be/AxP7wQa2N6Y

Starts out in a positive manner and then goes a little south.. seems to be having a bit of a downer on the Pga show, range demos and journalists... was interesting to hear a few of his comments including Complaining that you couldn’t get control of the launch monitor.. I’ve always wonder if fitters can adjust the terrain or altitude to change results on track an etc...

I wonder who paid for him to go out to the show or if the reception / access he got was different this year because of his sponsorship by a certain brand ?

No doubt after the verbal spat with Taylor made they would have been thrilled to see him...

HomerJSimpson

Hall of Famer
Visit site

Starts out in a positive manner and then goes a little south.. seems to be having a bit of a downer on the Pga show, range demos and journalists... was interesting to hear a few of his comments including Complaining that you couldn’t get control of the launch monitor.. I’ve always wonder if fitters can adjust the terrain or altitude to change results on track an etc...

I wonder who paid for him to go out to the show or if the reception / access he got was different this year because of his sponsorship by a certain brand ?

No doubt after the verbal spat with Taylor made they would have been thrilled to see him...

Haven't seen the video but the one from yesterday was actually quite positive from the range and open forum on teaching. I've been to many a trade fair and lets be honest, they're not that great. Been to the golf shows at London and Birmingham and they left me flat and uninspired

Papas1982

Tour Winner
Banned
Visit site
Getting a bit tired of it all now tbh.

Golf is a business, marketing occurs.

Ive never seen a price on ygt I couldn’t better putting it together myself but he doesn’t tell us all to book our own deals, he plasters them over his blogs.

Im sure when he was “just a pro”he was happy enough selling people he taught the new products.

Zzzzzzzzz

MendieGK

Tour Winner
Visit site
Haven't seen the video but the one from yesterday was actually quite positive from the range and open forum on teaching. I've been to many a trade fair and lets be honest, they're not that great. Been to the golf shows at London and Birmingham and they left me flat and uninspired

The golfshows in London etc can not be compared to this! It’s approx 9 miles to walk every single stand and it’s also not for consumers. It’s all trade.

Let’s be honest crossfield is probably not enjoying it because the entire industry thinks he’s a grade a bell end so he’s not getting the warm reception he would like.

PJ87

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
The golfshows in London etc can not be compared to this! It’s approx 9 miles to walk every single stand and it’s also not for consumers. It’s all trade.

Let’s be honest crossfield is probably not enjoying it because the entire industry thinks he’s a grade a bell end so he’s not getting the warm reception he would like.

With all due respect just because you think he’s a bell doesn’t mean the entire world does

Otherwise he wouldn’t even have taken off to the extent that he has. Able to afford to work and employee coach off the back of a YouTube channel

MendieGK

Tour Winner
Visit site
With all due respect just because you think he’s a bell doesn’t mean the entire world does

Otherwise he wouldn’t even have taken off to the extent that he has. Able to afford to work and employee coach off the back of a YouTube channel

I didn’t say world I said he is not popular within the industry

Digger

Assistant Pro
Visit site
I didn’t say world I said he is not popular within the industry

He's pretty popular with Titleist and UA. Two of the biggest names in golf.
I will add though that I think Titleist have been very clever with this one. Titleist gear, in the main, has always been regarded as a 'better players' market. What they are doing with Crossfield, is using him to attempt to reach the tiny corner of the market they haven't yet conquered, the high handicap/beginner. The marketing department have played a blinder. All it's cost them is a set of clubs and a few boxes of balls. Worth a punt I'd say. Like him or loath him, you all know who he is!

inc0gnito

Assistant Pro
Visit site
I didn’t think the video was very interesting. Just moaned a lot without really saying anything of value. We get in Mark, you don’t like marketing, and most brand clubs do a similar job. He seems to be moaning more and more these days. Move on bruh! Get back to doing fun vids.

big_matt

Assistant Pro
Visit site
Was interesting that peter finch made some comments about how he wasnt attending the show this year after what it was like last year.

Sounds like you either love it or dont like it. I think id get pretty tired of all the marketing nonsense when you know deep down the products do the same numbers as last year and the year before.

GMC1981

Club Champion
Visit site
Was interesting that peter finch made some comments about how he wasnt attending the show this year after what it was like last year.

Sounds like you either love it or dont like it. I think id get pretty tired of all the marketing nonsense when you know deep down the products do the same numbers as last year and the year before.

Its like saying ‘I’m not going to buy a new pair of golf shoes because the ones I bought 20 years I can still walk in ‘ .

These guys on YouTube are self marketing . Otherwise what would be the point . I bet the likes of Crossfield , Shiels etc get nice little perks for having thousands of subscribers to their channels . In fact Crossfield is constantly pushing the yourgolftravel brand so what’s the difference ? A tad hypocritical IMO . Golfers especially amateurs love the new gimmicky aspects of golf . Especially when they THINK it could improve their game.

hombre_paulo

Medal Winner
Visit site
Mark does need to 'get over' it. He won't stop the big manufacturers peddling their wares in the way that they do. He`s made his point on the subject enough times now that his subscribers know his opinion and have probably heard it enough now.
Keep doing the reviews, vlogs and lessons - especially the live lessons! Let the marketing side of the industry do its thing - the club tests he does shows the marketing taglines for what they really are. Also he seems to forget that most of us don't really buy into the marketing bullshit of 'you`ll get 20yds if you buy our new driver' - we just like new shineys!

Hacker Khan

Yurt Dwelling, Yoghurt Knitter
Visit site
I think what people tend to forget is that YouTube is a lot of these people's main job now. And they need to make a living, how many of you pay to access their videos?. And to make better content they need access to better courses and better players. Golf YouTube has moved on from watching some pro spank shots down a driving range on a simulator and them saying the clubs are great, or a course log round some average goat track that most people will have never want to visit, or yet another video telling you what a neutral grip is.

And to get access to better courses and better players to create more interesting content so they can get more subscribers, they will inevitably need to make alliances with golf companies, be that travel companies, clothing companies or club manufacturers. They all do it. If people think that Crossfield is suddenly going to say that all Titliest clubs are the best out there and the rest are rubbish then you have not being paying attention to how he reviews clubs. Same with Shiels and Wilson, he is now part of a Wilson TV show in the US but I do not expect him to suddenly say Wilson are better than everyone else. Or Finch to say Adidas make better clothes than anyone else. But I expect that their videos will be better through the opportunities that these tie ins open up.

I like Crossfield as he cuts through the marketing BS and it is no coincidence that other prominent YouTubers feel more confident to do that now. Think what club reviews used to be like in mags and the such like, essentially they were press released rehashed as a critical appraisal. Plus I think he has moved the production values of the videos on in terms of how they are filmed and edited. Also do you think it is just coincidence that Shiels now tests his clubs in a much more thorough way including course data, once Crossfield moved away from just spanking them down a driving range? This kind of professional rivalry is good, it moves the game on a bit and makes then videos, which again I will state are all free, more entertaining. Fully appreciate that he can come across as a bit of a tosser at times, but if you feel that way then the easy thing to do is not consciously open up you tube and consciously make a decision to watch them.

I watch just about all of my golf on YouTube, that is how I consume golf and I have watched 100 times more matches with Crossfield, Coach, Ray, Shiels, Finch, Carter etc than I watch pro tournaments in the last year or so. I watch it for entertainment mostly, with a bit of education thrown in now and then. I have the time to watch short 20 to 30 minute videos when I'm doing something like cooking the tea, but I don't have the time to sit and watch a pro tournament for several hours. And they are all for free, fair play to them all and long may they continue. Even if they use Titliest clubs or wear adidas or play Wilson irons.

Hacker Khan

Visit site
Its like saying ‘I’m not going to buy a new pair of golf shoes because the ones I bought 20 years I can still walk in ‘ .

These guys on YouTube are self marketing . Otherwise what would be the point . I bet the likes of Crossfield , Shiels etc get nice little perks for having thousands of subscribers to their channels . In fact Crossfield is constantly pushing the yourgolftravel brand so what’s the difference ? A tad hypocritical IMO . Golfers especially amateurs love the new gimmicky aspects of golf . Especially when they THINK it could improve their game.

Yes, I think the perks are called wages so they can continue to afford to provide the free content for us ;) Also don't you think any credible golf reviewer should point out that a lot of these gimmicks will not actually make that much difference and having a lesson with a decent pro will make 100 times more improvement? If you want to read about the miracle healing powers of a lot of golf gimmicks then just read the press releases.

Hacker Khan

Visit site

It may have been Titliest but also may have been that Revolution golf coaching syndicate thing he seems to be involved with.

dufferman

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Crossfield's review vids always says "you have to get fit" and "all the clubs are the same" and all that... which just makes me not watch his videos. Whats the point? Every new release he gets his hands on he hits it, normally says it's either not to his or Coach's specs, then says (for example) his driver distance is exactly the same and you need to get fit for any club. He doesn't really say much else!

Hacker Khan

Visit site
Crossfield's review vids always says "you have to get fit" and "all the clubs are the same" and all that... which just makes me not watch his videos. Whats the point? Every new release he gets his hands on he hits it, normally says it's either not to his or Coach's specs, then says (for example) his driver distance is exactly the same and you need to get fit for any club. He doesn't really say much else!

But the question then is what do you want to hear? That the latest Rogue driver from Callaway will add 10 yards or twisty faced TM will cure your mi*****, when we all know it will go much the same distance and direction as the last 5 drivers they have released? That is why to me those videos are more entertainment than education, no one makes bad clubs nowadays, they will all go much the same distance, certain clubs may suit certain players but you'll only know if you get fitted. I know that's a boring message but it's the truth. The skill to me is making videos in an entertaining way that put that message across.

Garush34

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
I thought that any golf professional/someone related to the golf business could attend the show? I know my coach and his club fitter are there at the moment. I assume they need to apply to go to get passes etc. but I'd assume Mark has gone out there because he can, not necessarily because he's with titleist now.

I watched the video in question and the others he's done this week. I liked the first couple, with the coaches and Jamie Sadlowski. This one however just seemed a bit pointless. I get that he doesn't like the marketing etc of new drivers etc but what does he expect manufacturers to say, here's a new club we made, you may like it or you may not but give it a try. They have to get people interested in buying their goods if they didn't then they wouldn't sell as many. And unfortunately to sell more they need to say that it goes 20 yards further, and unfortunately some people believe all the hype and will buy it because of that. But if they can afford it why not, its their money at the end of the day.

dufferman

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
But the question then is what do you want to hear? That the latest Rogue driver from Callaway will add 10 yards or twisty faced TM will cure your mi*****, when we all know it will go much the same distance and direction as the last 5 drivers they have released? That is why to me those videos are more entertainment than education, no one makes bad clubs nowadays, they will all go much the same distance, certain clubs may suit certain players but you'll only know if you get fitted. I know that's a boring message but it's the truth. The skill to me is making videos in an entertaining way that put that message across.

I think there is space to talk about who a club will benefit - for example, the new Twist Face tech benefits a specific golfer - he or she who hits the drives off this specific part of the face with a neutral / open / closed club face. Talk about the standard stock shafts available with the club, are they going to suit a better player, are they as stiff as the last one? It seems that he just says "it's alright, not groundbreaking, get fit" and that's that. Not that I'm knocking him personally, I watch some of his videos, it can just get repetitive hearing the same outcome to every club test he does.

Nickrat

Club Champion
Visit site
Mark does need to 'get over' it. He won't stop the big manufacturers peddling their wares in the way that they do. He`s made his point on the subject enough times now that his subscribers know his opinion and have probably heard it enough now.
Keep doing the reviews, vlogs and lessons - especially the live lessons! Let the marketing side of the industry do its thing - the club tests he does shows the marketing taglines for what they really are. Also he seems to forget that most of us don't really buy into the marketing bullshit of 'you`ll get 20yds if you buy our new driver' - we just like new shineys!

I agree with you, it annoys me the way he speaks about his own subscribers like there some uneducated idiots that buy into everything manufacturers say and his tagline "People just don't get it" really bugs me.

His VLOGS are pretty good to be-honest as long as hes not playing bad that is.

Jamesbrown

Head Pro
Visit site
Problem is people do “just don’t get it”.
Take a read of these forums. He enjoys educating and teaching about the game. Why a ball reacts the way it does.

Some folk on here will tell you the shaft is the engine. Tell you to change the shaft for a pull hook. Buy a particular ball etc.

It just isn’t the case and that’s what he try’s to teach. Get fit. Get lessons Get what feels good.

No twist face technology will cure your slice or hook. No shaft will stop you skying your driver.