Interesting Crossfield Video - old Driver v New

Grant85

Head Pro
Visit site
Youtube - Crossfield

Not interested in a debate about Crossfield being good / bad / indifferent.

But here's a video where he buys a 9 year old Taylor Made R11 on Ebay for £50. Tests it v his current (very expensive, custom fit) XXIO Driver.

Personally see these results as vindication that the manufacturers can come up with very little in terms of new makes and models. Ultimately it's more a branding exercise, as well as a task in making sure the equipment you have matches your game.

But if you have a driver that matches your game and was made in the last decade or so... you can probably keep it for a very very long time and use your cash for something else.

Says he's bought a few different clubs and going to do further comparisons.

howbow88

Hacker
Visit site
He did a video not that long ago about drivers over the past 20 years or so. It's almost like he has completely run out of ideas :)

Grant85

Head Pro
Visit site
Also worth noting he does have a contract with an equipment company, but I'd guess has full editorial freedom as I'm sure an equipment company wouldn't sign off on a video like this.

Grant85

Head Pro
Visit site
He did a video not that long ago about drivers over the past 20 years or so. It's almost like he has completely run out of ideas :)

I think the old drivers were clubs that were completely different tech, i.e. smaller heads, different materials, shorter shafts etc.

This is comparing a modern Driver that looks, feels the same as something you'd buy today for £450 to £800!

Imurg

The Grinder Of Pars (Semi Crocked)
Visit site
TXG did a test last week
A 2014 Callaway Big Bertha Alpha unfitted against the new Maverik completely optimised to the player Matt.
Taking the best shot from each and there was nothing between them, in fact the Alpha was a yard longer
On off centre hits there was a world of difference
The Mavrik won hands down.
Pick any driver from the last 6-10 years, hit them out of the middle with a good swing and the results will barely differ.
Hit them off the heel or toe, high or low and the newer club will handle speed retentionand spin control far better.
That's where advances have been made in the last few years, not really in overall distance from centre strikes and good swings.
And this has been fairly common knowledge in golf for quite a while now.

Grant85

Head Pro
Visit site
I would argue that the biggest difference in drivers over the last 15 years has been forgiveness on off centre hits.

He is a pro, and hits it out of the middle most of the time.

Could be a noticeable difference. Would definitely be interesting to see this theory tested.