Marcel Siem DQ

Jacko_G

Blackballed
Visit site
Now I've heard some bizarre stuff in my time but Siem DQ'd himself after taking 5 "preferred lies" in Paris on the front 9 claiming he thought they were playing preferred lies due to wet conditions under foot!!

He was hit with 10 penalty shots but subsequently DQ'd himself.

How can a pro and his caddy get it so wrong?

How did his playing partners not pick up on it after the first or second time?

Utterly bizarre situation for a professional golfer to find themselves in.

Orikoru

Tour Winner
Visit site
Surely that is something you would check. I am extremely far from a professional golfer but I usually check before playing whether it's preferred lies or not. :LOL:

williamalex1

Money List Winner
Visit site
Just read that Jesper Parnevick received a 2 stroke penalty for not taking a mulligan on the green, his bogey putt horseshoed out of the hole and hit his foot.:eek:. Seemingly he should've replaced and replayed the putt.

Jacko_G

Blackballed
Visit site
Just read that Jesper Parnevick received a 2 stroke penalty for not taking a mulligan on the green, his bogey putt horseshoed out of the hole and hit his foot.:eek:. Seemingly he should've replaced and replayed the putt.

Eaten too much moon dust - his brain is mush.

Orikoru

Tour Winner
Visit site
I cannot picture that at all. Either he was only about 6 inches away, or he hit it at lightning speed for it to come back at him at a speed too quick for him to move his foot??

rulefan

Tour Winner
Visit site
I cannot picture that at all. Either he was only about 6 inches away, or he hit it at lightning speed for it to come back at him at a speed too quick for him to move his foot??
It was a short putt and ran round the hole to come back at him.

HomerJSimpson

Hall of Famer
Visit site
Now I've heard some bizarre stuff in my time but Siem DQ'd himself after taking 5 "preferred lies" in Paris on the front 9 claiming he thought they were playing preferred lies due to wet conditions under foot!!

He was hit with 10 penalty shots but subsequently DQ'd himself.

How can a pro and his caddy get it so wrong?

How did his playing partners not pick up on it after the first or second time?

Utterly bizarre situation for a professional golfer to find themselves in.
Up to a point I agree. Certainly the onus is on Siem and his caddy to know the local rules and you would have thought one of the playing partners or caddies would have seen him do it on the first if not the second and had a word. However I have seen some players and caddy simply march to their ball, look at their yardages and be in their own tiny bubble and not really watching anything or anyone else. Siem is an idiot (not a fan anyway) and should have known what was happening

Old Colner

Club Champion
Visit site
Do the pros not have a rules official with each group, or is that just the larger tournaments?

I thought one was part of the entourage along with people to rake the bunkers, I have seen them signing things as a thank you at the end of a round.