Mar Hall 11/100

G1z1

Visit site
Played mar hall this morning, the first three holes are quite nice then it all went downhill from there. I went in the green side bunker on the 4th and noticed the large bunker was covered in stones then the short par 3 at the 5th had no flag pole lol I did notice it just past the hole in a bush. Then think it was the 10th no flag pole again and found it hiding behind a tree. Overall just in bad condition everywhere and honestly can’t believe it’s in the top 100 courses in Scotland. I have played much better courses that didn’t make the top 100. Even the hotel is just dated and ruff as hell, I honestly don’t know how this place survives. The message was decent but the spa facilities again ruff as. Cant wait to go to St. Andrews tomorrow.
B756AA7C-698B-41CF-AA42-B486607BF122.jpeg13C7595A-DE09-430B-8D33-AA3EDBA8B0D5.jpeg2E0B3C02-EA5E-4FEF-A550-4CDFC0163B32.jpegF8AF1CC8-A103-4A23-B67E-C2D7644F2D2D.jpeg6F26F808-40DD-49F2-8AE5-949AE8F75314.jpeg34FE262E-26FE-451D-91BF-8D533B9E63E7.jpeg6BC1F741-0593-4C33-B4FD-EBC4A7A28BB1.jpeg

srixon 1

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
The hotel was dated back in 2011 when I stayed there. The course was OK though.

Edit: I had a 4 putt bogey on the par 5 1st hole ??

Last edited:

PhilTheFragger

Provider of Entertainment for the Golfing Gods 🙄
Visit site
Not played it, but It is still winter, grass hasnt really started to grow yet, so many courses will take time to recover
The missing flags could be down to a forgetful player in front, or kids messing about

Net 59 , chuffing brilliant for a 24 handicapper, when did you last put a card in?

G1z1

Visit site
Not played it, but It is still winter, grass hasnt really started to grow yet, so many courses will take time to recover
The missing flags could be down to a forgetful player in front, or kids messing about

Net 59 , chuffing brilliant for a 24 handicapper, when did you last put a card in?
Yea I was actually thinking maybe kids had been playing with the flags. I haven’t handed a card in since last summer so my handicap is way outdated. Think I’m joining a new club next month so for start of season my main focus is single figures handicap been practicing a lot the past few months.

jmcp

Visit site
Have you tried Gleddoch GC, they have improved the course a lot over the last couple of years and created some decent practice facilities and a driving range, they also have a hotel with spa etc… ?

Cheers, John

G1z1

Visit site
Have you tried Gleddoch GC, they have improved the course a lot over the last couple of years and created some decent practice facilities and a driving range, they also have a hotel with spa etc… ?

Cheers, John
Not tried Gleddoch, I only went to mar hall because it was on the top 100 list. Working my way round them, currently in st andrews today had a walk round the old course but not playing it :( playing the duke tomorrow.

G1z1

Visit site
It's early March, on an inland course, in a wet part of Scotland

Giving any review this time of year is poor show imo
Most of the inland courses ive played in the past month have been in fantastic condition except my own course and I expect the duke will be another in great condition tomorrow. Mar hall was just in bad condition nothing to do with the weather, I later found out they only have two green keepers to maintain the 250 acres so that’s obviously why it’s in such bad condition.

Banchory Buddha

Visit site
Most of the inland courses ive played in the past month have been in fantastic condition except my own course and I expect the duke will be another in great condition tomorrow. Mar hall was just in bad condition nothing to do with the weather, I later found out they only have two green keepers to maintain the 250 acres so that’s obviously why it’s in such bad condition.
"Obviously" doing a lot of heavy lifting there.

So you've played through Feb and found most courses in fantastic condition? I don't play Oct-March as a general rule, because courses are never in fanstatic condition, rarely even in good condition, many on winter tees/greens/mats. Sorry, ridiculous to criticise a course at this time of year.

G1z1

Visit site
"Obviously" doing a lot of heavy lifting there.

So you've played through Feb and found most courses in fantastic condition? I don't play Oct-March as a general rule, because courses are never in fanstatic condition, rarely even in good condition, many on winter tees/greens/mats. Sorry, ridiculous to criticise a course at this time of year.
Stones in all the bunkers and a undermanned course has absolutely nothing to do with the time of year. If a course is open and charging money it’s open to review

Banchory Buddha

Visit site
Stones in all the bunkers and a undermanned course has absolutely nothing to do with the time of year. If a course is open and charging money it’s open to review
You're a greens expert? Two full timers in winter is perfectly acceptable for many courses. Stones in bunkers, well don't go in them, and they can be removed, so the issue is?

Sorry reviewing a course based on winter conditions, as I've already said is nonsense.

G1z1

Visit site
You're a greens expert? Two full timers in winter is perfectly acceptable for many courses. Stones in bunkers, well don't go in them, and they can be removed, so the issue is?

Sorry reviewing a course based on winter conditions, as I've already said is nonsense.
Ahaha my course has around 10 green keepers in the winter and it’s a lot smaller than mar hall. Greenkeeper told me the course was probably going to go under and said he’s looking for another job as there was only two left. They had 5 and 3 left and the club refused to employ new greenkeppers and there head secretary left the club a few months ago so according to the Greenkeeper the clubs in a right mess. I honestly can’t believe your answer to poor conditioned bunkers is don’t go in them lol the fairways were horrific too so don’t go in the fairways lol. I am playing the duke this morning I won’t review it just incase you don’t like it I think not. Your replies are nonsense.

D

Deleted member 23270

It's fair comment to review a course in winter as long as you take things into consideration. The greens or fairways may be poor but you can tell from the grass coverage if they are likely to be good or bad in summer. Stones in bunkers is fair comment, they don't suddenly disappear in summer.

Banchory Buddha

Visit site
It's fair comment to review a course in winter as long as you take things into consideration. The greens or fairways may be poor but you can tell from the grass coverage if they are likely to be good or bad in summer. Stones in bunkers is fair comment, they don't suddenly disappear in summer.
No indeed they don't, but again it's winter, there could very well be a delivery of fresh sand incoming.

I agree with you though, take into account winter conditions, which doesn't seem to be the case here at all. Hotel golf courses in general are often poor, but a winter critique like this, sorry.

G1z1

Visit site
No indeed they don't, but again it's winter, there could very well be a delivery of fresh sand incoming.

I agree with you though, take into account winter conditions, which doesn't seem to be the case here at all. Hotel golf courses in general are often poor, but a winter critique like this, sorry.
There you go again talking nonsense, I’ve been to quite a few golf hotels recently and every single one of them would put mar hall to shame. It’s the worst hotel I think I’ve ever been in and the course is a dump. My review was actually being generous to the place and no amount of sunshine or good weather will change that. You can’t polish a turd.