Mallet or blade

Coopsarama

Club Champion
Visit site
It's over. Me and the ping UG-LE have had our final spat and I'm booting it out.

I persevered with the putter even though I've always preferred blade style putters. So I'm after advice from the depths of knowledge you guys have!

I think my swing path is out to in, (as in I swing slightly away from by body, back in then out again after contact)

Any diamonds in the rough out there?

Nico

Challenge Tour Pro
Visit site
First and foremost you must like what you are looking at. So find a putter you like the look of and feel good holding.

Then it is down to technique and feel.

I would recommend an Eye-Line practice aid it helped me become a reasonable putter. (www.Eyelinegolf.com)

USER1999

Grand Slam Winner
Visit site
Scotty circa 62 no2. Can't be beaten. Unless it rains, when it rusts. Badly.

So,

Scotty Studio select newport 1.5. Unless it is sunny. When the glare is ridiculous.

nope, can't help you there then.

viscount17

Money List Winner
Visit site
I remember watching a Nick Faldo programme in which he said that we should have 1 - 1.5 deg more loft on our putters than the Yanks.
Does anyone market putters with other than standard lofts?

theeaglehunter

Tour Winner
Visit site
Ping do for definite viscount.

And whilst talking about Ping why not stick to their putters and try the redwood series they are superb as are the karsten blades, I like the anser putter style but you may prefer something slightly different. There is a look for everyone though.

GB72

Money List Winner
Visit site
I ditched my Ping UGlE as well. When trying all of the recent models I liked the Ping Karsten range which seemed great value at £60 but ended up with a Benross Pure Red. I liked the weight and feel and the soft insert seemd to suit me. A bargain at £40.00. I did not go out intending to buy a cheaper putter but found that I preferred these.

D

Deleted member 1147

My Craz-e has helped me no end - down to average of 2 x 3 putts per round from 4/5!!

.........and I'm not being sarcastic - I'm really that bad.

It aids me most for those 5-10 footers as I can see where I'm hitting better than with the old answer blade.

But as above - It's all personal and down to comfort.

forefortheday

Tour Rookie
Visit site
Just changed from a Benross SR3 blade to TM Spider difference is amazing especially on 10 foot+.

Never had the confidence with longer putts seemed to blast them past the hole or they would weakly dribble half the distance.

Only had 2 rounds with my new stick but putts just seem to get there with half the effort does look like a broken piece of the deathstar though!

HomerJSimpson

Hall of Famer
Visit site
Can I suggest the best of both worlds and go for the Odyssey two ball blade putter (XG2). You get the help with alignment especially on the 3-6 footers with the two ball design plus a blade designed face and a nice feeling insert that is good with a soft ball like a ProV and responds equally well to firmer balls like AD333 or NXT

rgs

Tour Rookie
Visit site
Putters are an individual items-some like baldes others large mallets-the current trend on tour is the biggest and ugliest putter is the way to go.

However the best putter is Tiger and he uses a blade putter-a scotty cameron putter.

I have used both blade and mallet and currently use a Odyyssey dual 2 blade and cannot fault it. Missed putts are my problem cannot blame the tools can only blame the tool using it.

RGuk

Tour Winner
Visit site
i.m.o. blade putters have the best balance (back and through) of all putters, but not the ooomph of a mallet from long range. I've tried (and failed) on 3 times to switch from my selection of mallets back to a classic putter for the summer. I use a Macgregor mallet/sometimes a Ping Craz-E copy......both excellent from long range but hard work on the short ones.....
I'm pretty hot with my Ping A blade/Odyssey Dual Force and Ram Zebra (gift from GM) on short putts, but from distance they are all a disaster.....could be just me though.....

theeaglehunter

Tour Winner
Visit site
Not just you dave I agree entirely, mallets are better for long distance and blades are better from close range. The reason I therefore use a mallet is because I usually am quite a long way from the hole following my approach I rarely hit a shot that stops 5 feet from the pin for example and I expect from say the 20 foot range to get the putt within unmissable/ tap in distance meaning my mallet is fine. If I was a better player that hit more accurate approaches I would opt for a blade putter.

TonyN

Money List Winner
Visit site
Not just you dave I agree entirely, mallets are better for long distance and blades are better from close range. The reason I therefore use a mallet is because I usually am quite a long way from the hole following my approach I rarely hit a shot that stops 5 feet from the pin for example and I expect from say the 20 foot range to get the putt within unmissable/ tap in distance meaning my mallet is fine. If I was a better player that hit more accurate approaches I would opt for a blade putter.

This is me all over! Wow, well done, I couldn't of put that better myself!

viscount17

Money List Winner
Visit site
Hasn't worked that way for me. Since getting my B60 my putting both long and short has improved - still not good but much better.

That could be due in part to the increase in quality of the B60 over my old package mallet.

WGC

Medal Winner
Visit site
Taylormade rossa monte carlo.

Its a mid mallet nice black satin finish easy to line up and has a lovely feel. I would reccommend it to anyone. It was featured in the Golf Monthly gear guide special 2 or 3 months ago and you might be able to see it in the gear vault.

GB72

Money List Winner
Visit site
Hasn't worked that way for me. Since getting my B60 my putting both long and short has improved - still not good but much better.

That could be due in part to the increase in quality of the B60 over my old package mallet.

Good choice of putter there Viscount. When I was looking for mine it was between the B60 and the Pure Red that I ended up with. It was a close run thing and feel that the B60 is great value for money.