making those longer putts

dandpl

Club Champion
Visit site
Hi

Any help appreciated. I am 60 years old a good putter average number of putts 28-29 of a handicap of 8 and no i do not hit a lot of greens due to my lack of distance. (will be working with the pro over the winter on that)

On the practice green those 8-15 ft i can drop a few but out on the course very rare to do so. Any advice please.

Thanks in advance.

dandpl

Piece

Tour Winner
Visit site
Hi

Any help appreciated. I am 60 years old a good putter average number of putts 28-29 of a handicap of 8 and no i do not hit a lot of greens due to my lack of distance. (will be working with the pro over the winter on that)

On the practice green those 8-15 ft i can drop a few but out on the course very rare to do so. Any advice please.

Thanks in advance.

dandpl

What do you think is the main reason you don't? Length? Direction? Both?

If direction, ensure you spend time lining up the putt. One idea, use the line-on-the-ball method to pick your line and trust it!

If length, try to get back to instinct putting to take out the clutter in the mind. The process is like throwing a ball to someone - you dont think about doing it, it just happens. After you've lined up your putt, stand over the ball and look at the hole and make one, just one, practise stroke. Then line up the putter with the ball and when ready, look at the hole, then as you turn your head back to the ball smoothly take the putter head away in one motion and stroke the ball (don't hit the ball!). You can tell if this works as your length becomes consistent and putts *look* like they have a chance of going in.

It's also good have the ball in the typical 5i position and have the hands over the ball, I.e. slightly forward.

The above came from my teaching Pro, Ben Clayton, who has done the GM Short Game app. :)

Last edited:

BTatHome

Tour Winner
Visit site
How many are you expecting to drop? How many on the putting green are from the same place?

I think we are usually too harsh on ourselves in putting stats.

G1BB0

Money List Winner
Visit site
I hole more longer ones when I use instinct. I usually think I have hit them too hard/soft and yet they drop.

If I spend too long doing practice strokes I usually end up quitting on it and decelerate.

Off 22 though so I am obviously not of a h/c to be consistant enough to advise but that is my personal experience

JustOne

Ryder Cup Winner
www.justoneuk.com
Take a look at these PGA Tour putting stats..... 1/2 the putts are missed from just 5-10ft and we're talking the best putters in the world (often with their caddies lining them up!) on the best greens with the best putting coaches....

2009-Putt-make-percentages.JPG

Therefore I think standing over your putt and NOT expecting to make your putt will help you simply put a nice stroke on it.... just get the pace right and tap it in if you miss (nothing worse than 3-putting by blasting it past!)

You could stand on the practice putting green for 24hrs/day and not beat these stats.