Making a Good, Full, Hip Turn in the Backswing

One Planer

Global Moderator
Visit site
Go down the beach, pick up a pebble and throw it in the sea.

About that much.

While I think the analogy is great, wouldn't the amount of turn depend on how far you want to throw the pebble?

I.E If I wanted to throw it 20 yards, there would be little turn. If I wanted to try and hit the French coast it would be a much bigger turn.

The main reason I started this tread was very simple. You often hear the words "Make a good hip turn" or "Make a full hip turn" or "Your hip turn isn't big enough", but what actually constitutes making a good hip turn? And the vice versa of not making one big enough?

The answers so far have been great :thup:

bobmac

Major Champion
Visit site
If you dont sway, you will turn.
If you turn too much with a locked right leg, the shaft will get across the line and point to the right. Not ideal.
Keep the right knee flexed and turn into it but not too far as you could risk injury.

Foxholer

Blackballed
Visit site
While I think the analogy is great, wouldn't the amount of turn depend on how far you want to throw the pebble?

I.E If I wanted to throw it 20 yards, there would be little turn. If I wanted to try and hit the French coast it would be a much bigger turn.

The main reason I started this tread was very simple. You often hear the words "Make a good hip turn" or "Make a full hip turn" or "Your hip turn isn't big enough", but what actually constitutes making a good hip turn? And the vice versa of not making one big enough?

The answers so far have been great :thup:

Surely the analogy holds up for all distances! For short shots (or throws), you don't need much hip-turn, but for 'full' swings (and throws) you need a 'full' turn.

dsanders9944

Medal Winner
www.bdgolf.tv
Hi Gareth

As a typical rule of thumb you should turn your hips 45 degrees around your torso. I would never reccomend you try to restrict your hip turn. Also pay attention to the axis your hips are turning on. When you turn back make sure the trail hip is turning on a steep enough angle and not turning flat as this could cause a flat shoulder turn and make you lose your spine angle through out the swing.