Maintaining Clubhead Lag

Oggie41

Club Champion
Visit site
Hi Guys, hopefully a few of you will be able to help...

I've been shown in a recent lesson that I lose my clubhead lag too quickly on my downswing. I'm now aware of the positions that I should be hitting, but am finding it difficult to ingrain it. Even when I feel like I'm maintaining my angles, my videos show that my hands are still not in front of the clubhead at impact.

Cash is low, so I won't be able to visit the pro again for a while. So now the million dollar question - does anyone have any decent drills to help me ingrain this?

I've found this video online. Is this something you'd recommend, or will it make the angle of attack too steep?

Thanks

JustOne

Ryder Cup Winner
www.justoneuk.com
On your downswing get the feeling that you'll not hit the ball until your hands are somewhere near your left thigh instead of in front of your crotch and ALSO that the clubshaft is slightly leaning forward (pressed) towards the target, that should help keep your hands ahead. The spine tilt (hips move left but head/upper body remains in place) as shown on the vid at approx 3:20 is what shallows the angle of attack.

Looks like a good drill, a couple of golf tees stood up about a foot behind the ball also does the trick.

Oggie41

Club Champion
Visit site
a couple of golf tees stood up about a foot behind the ball also does the trick.

Good call. I've not got an impact bag, so when I was last at the range I tried the drill with the range basket a couple of feet behind. A few steady practice swings, and I was feeling pretty confident. Thought I'd try the drill and actually hit a ball, which of course ended with me not managing to miss the basket, and hitting it about 20 yards down the range. Lovely flight though! I got a fair few "how the f*$k did you manage that looks"!