Lurking in the freezer….

road2ruin

Q-School Graduate
Visit site
Having a tidy up in the freezer and found a pack of sirloin strips that got covered up and then forgotten about. Their use by date was May 2021 although they were bought from a farm shop and already frozen. Are they likely to do me any harm or are they just likely to have lost a bit nutritionally?

AmandaJR

Money List Winner
Visit site
Also if they're strips you'd use in a stiry fry or something and cook right through (rather than medium etc)...

jim8flog

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
I have eaten many a thing that has gone past it eats by date by I would draw the line on something that is two and half years past it's eat by date.

TimShady

Banned
Visit site
As long as it’s cooked thoroughly you won’t risk any bugs. A nice slow reverse sear or sous vide just to make sure it’s held above 54 degrees for a couple of hours and you’ll be fine.

stefanovic

Medal Winner
Visit site
Made me think of of this.

quote: In 1949 some friends and I came upon a noteworthy news item in Nature, a magazine of the Academy of Sciences. It reported in tiny type that in the course of excavations on the Kolyma River a subterranean ice lens had been discovered which was actually a frozen stream — and in it were found frozen specimens of prehistoric fauna some tens of thousands of years old.
Whether fish or salamander, these were preserved in so fresh a state, the scientific correspondent reported, that those present immediately broke open the ice encasing the specimens and devoured them with relish on the spot.

Backache

Assistant Pro
Visit site
Recommended freezer times are because the flavour and texture can deteriorate rather than because there is any danger.
Stick em in a curry if you like but the fats can taste funny after a long time but won't be dangerous if it's fatty strips I might not bother.

SocketRocket

Ryder Cup Winner
Visit site
Made me think of of this.

quote: In 1949 some friends and I came upon a noteworthy news item in Nature, a magazine of the Academy of Sciences. It reported in tiny type that in the course of excavations on the Kolyma River a subterranean ice lens had been discovered which was actually a frozen stream — and in it were found frozen specimens of prehistoric fauna some tens of thousands of years old.
Whether fish or salamander, these were preserved in so fresh a state, the scientific correspondent reported, that those present immediately broke open the ice encasing the specimens and devoured them with relish on the spot.
Can't beat a nice bite of prehistoric frozen salamander. Very tasty 😳

Robster59

Tour Rookie
www.eastrengolfclub.co.uk
The biological process still goes on at -20°C and so the food will continue to rot, albeit at a much slower pace. The bacteria will still be active, just much less so.
The only time you can guarantee the biological clock will stop is below -135°C.
Given the age you have found these, I wouldn't take the chance.

TimShady

Banned
Visit site
The biological process still goes on at -20°C and so the food will continue to rot, albeit at a much slower pace. The bacteria will still be active, just much less so.
The only time you can guarantee the biological clock will stop is below -135°C.
Given the age you have found these, I wouldn't take the chance.
When cooked thoroughly, any bacteria will be killed meaning there is no danger. If the food tastes fine, there’s no need to waste it.

patricks148

Global Moderator
Visit site
when i was kid my mother kept stuff for years in the freezer. can't remember any of us feeling any ill effects from it. The current Mrs Patrick148 wont stand for that though, everything is labeled and dated .

if in doubt nicely charcoaled on the BBQ should do the trick:ROFLMAO: