Lower your expectations PLEASE!

Grant85

Head Pro
Visit site
I won a 4ball at your course, very much looking forward to playing there.............

Enjoy when the times comes.

They have 'redone' the par 3 13th over the winter. Truth be told, the lockdown probably has given it the time it needed for the tee and bunkers to settle in a bit.

But the hole looks stunning now with new bunkering and a path up to the raised green.

D

Deleted member 1147

The R&A/England Golf have given rules as to what work can be done and how often.
So we can’t expect them to have done everything and kept perfect conditions

Imurg

The Grinder Of Pars (Semi Crocked)
Visit site
According to the Head Greenkeeper's Greens Report that landed in my Inbox this morning it looks I won't have to lower my expectations as, apart from 0.5mm to take off the greens, they have the course as it should be for this time of year.
Tees, fairways, approaches, 1st cut and 2nd cut have all been cut to the expected heights for early May and a quick shave of the greens before play resumes will have them at their allotted height.
To be fair, I've never really had an expectation as to the co dition of the course.
The only expectation I do have is that when we're allowed to play the course is open.

Wabinez

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
It’s weird, I said the same in another thread and was told my club were lying to me, and that all clubs should be in perfect condition and there are no excuses otherwise.

fundy

Ryder Cup Winner
Visit site
I'm surprised at this.

I would have thought maintaining a course not in use would have been much easier and less time consuming.

Greens can be cut every other day and no need to do course set up, cut pins, rake bunkers etc. As well as not having to 'work around' people on the course during the day.

Appreciate most clubs have gone to 2 people, rather than 5 or 6 but surely the course set up in the morning uses up a fair number of man hours each day.

Out club did some analysis on what the most time was spent on and it was course set-up. Effectively done every morning from March to October and once or twice a week in the winter, depending on weather.

Anyway, quietly confident my course will be in decent nick and certainly very much worth playing as soon as we get the go ahead. seems Monday next week is being widely talked about.

surely easier for your course than many others only having 2/3rds of the holes to prepare ;)

Jacko_G

Blackballed
Visit site
The fact that at a "normal/average" 18 hole course it will take a single worker 8 hours to mow all 18 fairways should give you an indication of the size of task that 1 or 2 men (women) are undertaking.

The ignorance of some is quite laughable.

D

Deleted member 1147

Our pro did a couple of YouTube videos. He showed how basically the course looks good, but the rough looks really rough.
As they’ve had greens & fairways to focus on, drainage work to complete from the winter rains, and bunkers to finish (which were dug and shapes over winter).

D

Deleted member 17920

It’s weird, I said the same in another thread and was told my club were lying to me, and that all clubs should be in perfect condition and there are no excuses otherwise.
You was told that but you should ignore every post he writes as he is barking mad anyway.

D

Deleted member 17920

The fact that at a "normal/average" 18 hole course it will take a single worker 8 hours to mow all 18 fairways should give you an indication of the size of task that 1 or 2 men (women) are undertaking.

It is I totally agree

It’s spring and the grass is just starting to grow very quickly with the rain from last week.

A 1/2 team of greenkeepers Will struggle to maintain it to the standards some on here are expecting.

TheDiablo

Challenge Tour Pro
Banned
Visit site
Walked mine today, first time in about 10 days. Fairways/tees in great nick, greens looking good but need a trim for playing height. But the rough!! That weather last week has played havoc, ideal growing conditions. It's extremely thick, quite long so I think there will be a lot of lost balls when we first get back playing! Course looking great considering just 2 guys working it

Sports_Fanatic

Assistant Pro
Visit site

I expect I'm naïve and I've never been heavily involved in a club, but again I'm not sure why we're always focused on the minority. As has been shown on this thread, most people know courses will not be Augusta or the clubs normal standard when they resume. We accept that greenkeepers have been doing the minimum as per the guidance and that it's difficult with reduced staff. As I said to our club, if they've got slightly shorter grass for fairways and greens, some tees and some holes then I'll be happy. It is after all a social round that we'll be going back to and enjoying the benefits of golf.

For the minority, clubs will just be sending round a further note in advance to manage expectations saying these are the limitations, this is what to expect and leave it as that. Should anybody complain then it's a simple refer to my earlier e-mail but that's all that could have been done as per Golf England. Job done, people don't need to get involved if people remain ignorant but I don't think it will be that often.

Jacko_G

Blackballed
Visit site
I expect I'm naïve and I've never been heavily involved in a club, but again I'm not sure why we're always focused on the minority. As has been shown on this thread, most people know courses will not be Augusta or the clubs normal standard when they resume. We accept that greenkeepers have been doing the minimum as per the guidance and that it's difficult with reduced staff. As I said to our club, if they've got slightly shorter grass for fairways and greens, some tees and some holes then I'll be happy. It is after all a social round that we'll be going back to and enjoying the benefits of golf.

For the minority, clubs will just be sending round a further note in advance to manage expectations saying these are the limitations, this is what to expect and leave it as that. Should anybody complain then it's a simple refer to my earlier e-mail but that's all that could have been done as per Golf England. Job done, people don't need to get involved if people remain ignorant but I don't think it will be that often.

Who is focusing on the minority?

Just look at the replies on here and you see that some are ignorant to the workload that a greenkeeper undertakes. They don't just sit on a cutter all day and booooom everything is magic.

Golf course maintenance is a very fine science now and to expect to go back to a pristine condition manicured course is setting a lot of people up for a fall.

As you say some will accept the condition - some will moan!

Paperboy

Mini Cam
Visit site
I walked my course a few weeks ago, looked in good nick. Greens probably need a slightly lower cut. Fairways look good, with the exception of divots that can't be repaired due to limited workforce or members taking out divot bags.

Shame that members taking exercise on the course can't take out a divot bag.

Sports_Fanatic

Assistant Pro
Visit site
Who is focusing on the minority?

Just look at the replies on here and you see that some are ignorant to the workload that a greenkeeper undertakes. They don't just sit on a cutter all day and booooom everything is magic.

Golf course maintenance is a very fine science now and to expect to go back to a pristine condition manicured course is setting a lot of people up for a fall.

As you say some will accept the condition - some will moan!

Are you talking forum in general or this thread, as if this thread then we're reading different things. 33 comments in I can see SwingsitlikeHogan said they walked the course and were surprised divots weren't filled in but then realised expectation was to high and fine with it, and Grant85 who thought it would be easier to maintain a course with no players as just wasn't aware of greenkeeper finer details (i haven't got a clue either) so may be expecting more than others but again had accepted it as being fine.

I know members love to moan, and I know I'm naïve, but it just feels like people will be happy getting out there. I haven't agreed with you on how cautious you perhaps are on courses opening with social distancing, but I fully agree with you that if anyone is moaning about the speed of a green in these times they're an idiot.

garyinderry

Ryder Cup Winner
Visit site
We actually haven't had much growth due to the really dry weather.

Walked a local course yesterday. Was decent enough.

Going to walk my course this afternoon. Havnt set eyes on it in weeks.

GB72

Money List Winner
Visit site
Thing is, I am seeing posts from various clubs on social media professing how immaculate the course is looking. Yes, it may be putting a brave face on it, keeping interest going at this time when subs are due but if clubs want expectations on course conditions lowered, it may help that they do not keep posting pictures of how great a condition to the course is supposedly in or how they are ready and waiting for everyone to be back on the course.

D

Deleted member 3432

We actually haven't had much growth due to the really dry weather.

Walked a local course yesterday. Was decent enough.

Going to walk my course this afternoon. Havnt set eyes on it in weeks.

I imagine my own course has had no growth at all. Often the case at this time of the year, usually due to wind and cold temps but amazingly not a drop of rain during lockdown this year.

Course will certainly be running fast and bouncy next time out.

Silloth's summer will end the day they announce golf will restart. Playing in the sun is overrated anyway..

Jacko_G

Blackballed
Visit site
Are you talking forum in general or this thread, as if this thread then we're reading different things. 33 comments in I can see SwingsitlikeHogan said they walked the course and were surprised divots weren't filled in but then realised expectation was to high and fine with it, and Grant85 who thought it would be easier to maintain a course with no players as just wasn't aware of greenkeeper finer details (i haven't got a clue either) so may be expecting more than others but again had accepted it as being fine.

I know members love to moan, and I know I'm naïve, but it just feels like people will be happy getting out there. I haven't agreed with you on how cautious you perhaps are on courses opening with social distancing, but I fully agree with you that if anyone is moaning about the speed of a green in these times they're an idiot.

In general when you look as social media.

However a good few on here perhaps don't see the "bigger picture".

Also I certainly ain't looking for any fight or argument I thought that it was a brilliant article that many would benefit from reading.

sunshine

Visit site
I walked my course a few weeks ago, looked in good nick. Greens probably need a slightly lower cut. Fairways look good, with the exception of divots that can't be repaired due to limited workforce or members taking out divot bags.

Shame that members taking exercise on the course can't take out a divot bag.

I'm surprised that there were still divots on the fairways. Even with a reduced workforce I would have expected the greenkeepers to have gone around and filled all the divots... nobody playing so no new divots being created. Maybe unrealistic to expect everything totalled healed, but at least filled?