Lower your expectations PLEASE!

clubchamp98

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
I'm surprised at this.

I would have thought maintaining a course not in use would have been much easier and less time consuming.

Greens can be cut every other day and no need to do course set up, cut pins, rake bunkers etc. As well as not having to 'work around' people on the course during the day.

Appreciate most clubs have gone to 2 people, rather than 5 or 6 but surely the course set up in the morning uses up a fair number of man hours each day.

Out club did some analysis on what the most time was spent on and it was course set-up. Effectively done every morning from March to October and once or twice a week in the winter, depending on weather.

Anyway, quietly confident my course will be in decent nick and certainly very much worth playing as soon as we get the go ahead. seems Monday next week is being widely talked about.
It’s just there are strict guidelines what they can and can’t do.
Once it’s lifted the green staff will have it sorted in days.

Jacko_G

Blackballed
Visit site
Thing is, I am seeing posts from various clubs on social media professing how immaculate the course is looking. Yes, it may be putting a brave face on it, keeping interest going at this time when subs are due but if clubs want expectations on course conditions lowered, it may help that they do not keep posting pictures of how great a condition to the course is supposedly in or how they are ready and waiting for everyone to be back on the course.

See post #5.

I think some are misleading and yes certainly putting a brave face on it.

The course I was on the other day were showing glorious pictures but in reality and close up it was quite different.

Not sure how a lot of courses move forward with reduced income.

Jacko_G

Blackballed
Visit site
It’s just there are strict guidelines what they can and can’t do.
Once it’s lifted the green staff will have it sorted in days.

Why?

Can clubs afford to suddenly bring back greens staff, can they prepare the work area for no cross contamination?

Reading the BIGGA guidelines it appears they're almost taking a militant stance in ensuring the safety of their members and rightly so.

GB72

Money List Winner
Visit site
Why?

Can clubs afford to suddenly bring back greens staff, can they prepare the work area for no cross contamination?

Reading the BIGGA guidelines it appears they're almost taking a militant stance in ensuring the safety of their members and rightly so.

It is a fair point, not seen any comments from clubs as to whether they are going to immediately bring back all of the greenkeeping staff full time the minute that the ban is lifted. Are some clubs going to try and keep going on the furlough provisions until the end of June at least.

Imurg

The Grinder Of Pars (Semi Crocked)
Visit site
Not sure how a lot of courses move forward with reduced income.

Maybe the simply don't ..
I suspect a lot will have already cancelled projects earmarked for this year and next.
They'll have to tread water for a year or two until finances I prove.
And if they're open and transparent enough with their members and the members are loyal members then they will understand and hopefully get on with it.
It's certainly going to be a tough couple of years for most clubs.

clubchamp98

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Why?

I agree but our GK said he will concentrate on the greens as soon as it’s over.
The rest of the course can be a few mil longer .
But the most complaints from golfers is about the greens.

Lord Tyrion

Money List Winner
Visit site
I agree but our GK said he will concentrate on the greens as soon as it’s over.
The rest of the course can be a few mil longer .
But the most complaints from golfers is about the greens.
I suspect that depends on the style of course. At ours they may occasionally mutter about the greens but the complaints are about the rough being too long. If the rough is kept short at ours, the members are happy. The upshot of that is each course needs to focus on whatever is key to them, their style of course.

Your point is spot on though. There may well be a spell where certain parts of the course are not as sharp as they normally would be, the reduced greens staff can only do so much. Any golfer moaning needs a good kick though. Any golf will be a welcome relief.

clubchamp98

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
I suspect that depends on the style of course. At ours they may occasionally mutter about the greens but the complaints are about the rough being too long. If the rough is kept short at ours, the members are happy. The upshot of that is each course needs to focus on whatever is key to them, their style of course.

Your point is spot on though. There may well be a spell where certain parts of the course are not as sharp as they normally would be, the reduced greens staff can only do so much. Any golfer moaning needs a good kick though. Any golf will be a welcome relief.
Yes but if the greens are slow it affects every player .
If the rough is high it’s your own fault for hitting it there so it only affects you.
Ours is on sandstone and drains well ,so in dry weather it plays like a links .
But if it gets wet like this winter it plays very long. There is some horrendous rough atm and driver might stay in the bag for a while.

Paperboy

Mini Cam
Visit site
I'm surprised that there were still divots on the fairways. Even with a reduced workforce I would have expected the greenkeepers to have gone around and filled all the divots... nobody playing so no new divots being created. Maybe unrealistic to expect everything totalled healed, but at least filled?

They have spent a fair bit of time, on the 11th which was redesigned/reworked in February. A couple of greens hadn't faired so well as some on the course committee are reluctant to put temporary greens on over the winter. These have been re-turfed from a practice green from the practice area. TBH I'm not often in the fairway to find a divot :p

What I mean is if that's all I have to complain about I'm a happy chappy for hen we start again. The rain was a godsend for the course if not the green keepers.

Lord Tyrion

Money List Winner
Visit site
Yes but if the greens are slow it affects every player .
If the rough is high it’s your own fault for hitting it there so it only affects you.
Ours is on sandstone and drains well ,so in dry weather it plays like a links .
But if it gets wet like this winter it plays very long. There is some horrendous rough atm and driver might stay in the bag for a while.
That is what the lady members say but then they can't hit it far enough to reach the rough unless they are hitting 2 shots in a row at 90° :LOL:. Not that I'm casting aspertions here but ...............:unsure:

Ours is a long course and we need a bit of forgiveness width wise otherwise it just becomes joyless. At other clubs I've played at I would agree with you but this is my 4th year at my current place and the rough getting up is always the issue that causes the most complaints.

garyinderry

Ryder Cup Winner
Visit site
Going to walk my course this afternoon. Havnt set eyes on it in weeks.

Turns out I am not. The small gate by the pro shop is shut with big sign saying no one is allowed on either course.

Was in the car park taking photos when I met the owners wife. She told me they had so many calls from the general public looking to come and walk around the course that they had no choice but to close to all including members.

See you in a few weeks. Course looked lovely.

ArnoldArmChewer

Tour Winner
Visit site
Having had most of the autumn/winter off golf with a back injury and then the lockdown shortly after I returned I would glad hit balls around a farmers field just now.

Leftie

Tour Winner
Visit site
She told me they had so many calls from the general public looking to come and walk around the course that they had no choice but to close to all including members.

Our club took the opposite strategy. As it would be very difficult to completely stop access to local residents and the possible friction it could cause, we allowed access and it has been a great public relations exercise as everyone has appreciated the courses - we might even get a few new members when all this madness is over.

garyinderry

Ryder Cup Winner
Visit site
Our club took the opposite strategy. As it would be very difficult to completely stop access to local residents and the possible friction it could cause, we allowed access and it has been a great public relations exercise as everyone has appreciated the courses - we might even get a few new members when all this madness is over.

Outs is right on the city limits. People would drive there and I suppose they dont want the car park filling up with cars.

patricks148

Global Moderator
Visit site
no idea about Nairn, but the kings looks in quite good condition, came though today and all the sprinklers were on as its been very dry here for the last month. even a couple of the ponds water levels are almost down to the base.

Sports_Fanatic

Assistant Pro
Visit site
We were meant to be back at Le Touquet and Hardelot courses this year. Did very well with weather before but another positive experience with them if anyone is considering breaks closer to home. I can say that now we've revised are booking for 2021.

Coffey

Challenge Tour Pro
Visit site
Our 2 courses look fantastic and hearing great reports from the greens staff

We were lucky that we completed all hollow tining before lockdown.

I have seen some pictures of other courses in the area and the greens look unplayable.

But as mentioned above, I would take the local pitch and putt and everyone should feel lucky we are allowed out there.

i*windows

Visit site
We were meant to be back at Le Touquet and Hardelot courses this year. Did very well with weather before but another positive experience with them if anyone is considering breaks closer to home. I can say that now we've revised are booking for 2021.
you are only taking bookings for 20201?