Low handicappers / Regular shafts

mboy1980

Club Champion
Visit site
Had an interesting conversation tonight with a local chap who has a handicap of +2.

We were discussing equipment and I was surprised to learn his Driver has a regular shaft.I always thought low men would use stiff.The reason he gave was that although he accepts he won't hit the ball quite as far as me, 9 times out of 10 he will "have a shot".Obviously this makes perfect sense but I always thought good players using a regular would slice the ball.

Is this more common than I think?

I wonder if any Tour Pro's use regular?

mrobbie

Club Champion
Visit site
He may be a low handicaper, with a slow swing, that hits the ball well, and gets where he wants it each time. Shaft flex is determined by swing speed. Same way a 28 handicapper with a fast swing speed could use a stiff flex.

I know of a 3 handicapper that used to have a 9 degree stiff driver, but when fitted on a launch monitor, changed to 10.5 with a reg, and he gained about 30 yards - but was still as accurate as before.

Nico

Challenge Tour Pro
Visit site
Even tho I am a shaft ponce,I have genuinely got to the stage where what fits is what I will use.

It's a combination of kick point,flex and swing weight that are the important things.

On the Tour matter I know Westwood used the Ping ZZ65 shaft originally (and may still do) which was their uniflex shaft.

USER1999

Grand Slam Winner
Visit site
You should use the most flexible shaft that you can control, as this generates the most power. Stiffer = control, bendy = power.

A faster swing speed with a bendy shaft will hook, a slow swing with a stiff shaft will slice.

D

Deleted member 1147

You can have two people on the same handicap with totally different swing speeds and therefore different club spec's.

Me and my winter league partner are perfect examples:

I hit hard and long, he hits steady and short.
I hit high, he hits low.
I'm wild, he's consistent.
I'm a birdie/bogie man, he's a steady par man.
I use stiff shafts, he uses regular.
I like mid/long irons, he uses 5 different fairway woods.
I can chip, he can't.
I can't putt, he can.

In fact he has my old driver (Nike Ignite with Fujikura regular), I was "fitted" for it at my local golf outlet. But when I went to the Belfry for lessons I was advised to move to a stiff.

We are both so different but both play off 10.

ACP

Club Champion
Visit site
The ZZ65 shaft is actually a stiff - check the link.I have them on my i10's.

http://www.pinggolf.com/shafts/ironshafts.aspx?id=110

Yes you're correct. I also use the zz65 shaft which, when I was fitted at Gainsborough earlier this year, actually gave me a slightly better ball flight and distance than Pings new AWT stiff shaft. Obvoiusly the varying degrees of stiffness will also make a difference!

ACP

Nico

Challenge Tour Pro
Visit site
Ping may classify it that way now but when I had my ISI's made they called it uniflex.

I eventually found it a bit light but it always felt solid and the club never felt like it had got away from me.

It has been in their range for ages.