Low Compression Golf Balls

MendieGK

Tour Winner
Visit site
In light of the post in the other section of the forum i am interested to know about low compression balls (in particular the Callaway Chrome Soft) and their suitability.

I have a driver swing speed of c.125mph and play off 4, so i am solid enough. I usually use one of the following balls -

Prov1 X
Callaway Hex Black

effectively any of the premium balls really.

So my question is, would the Chrome Soft be suitable for me?

One Planer

Global Moderator
Visit site
I would imagine at a higher swing speed you would want a firmer, multi-layer ball to help reduce spin.

See Titleist Pro V1x or Srixon Z-Star XV as examples.

duncan mackie

Money List Winner
Visit site

suitable - yes; it's a modern 3 piece ball with excellent performance

whether you like the feel is entirely up to you - that you choose the ProV1x over the ProV suggests that you won't (from the reviews I've read)

it is a lower compression ball which would suggest that with your incredible club head speed you will lose distance - but again, reviews seem to indicate that this isn't necessarily the case.

whether you find any performance benefits in any other area can only be established by you in practical terms.

if I was a betting man I would put money on you finding it too soft in terms of feel with a slightly high flight and loss of distance with the driver relative to the 2 balls you list.

Foxholer

Blackballed
Visit site
Could be worth a try. Callaway claim it's a 'tradition breaker', though at about 10mph faster than the average Touring Pro Swing Speed, you might be a little fast for it. Perhaps wait for the Yellow ones as they show up better in the rough! :whistle:

Hex Black feels like a rock to me, though the Nikes feel worse!

MendieGK

Tour Winner
Visit site
Could be worth a try. Callaway claim it's a 'tradition breaker', though at about 10mph faster than the average Touring Pro Swing Speed, you might be a little fast for it. Perhaps wait for the Yellow ones as they show up better in the rough! :whistle:

Hex Black feels like a rock to me, though the Nikes feel worse!

You can mock me all you like about swing speed. A number of forumers saw me hit it 20yds past everyone (and Quiros) at the Callaway Kings of Distance day last year.

Cheers for your helpful advice though. Not

MendieGK

Tour Winner
Visit site
suitable - yes; it's a modern 3 piece ball with excellent performance

whether you like the feel is entirely up to you - that you choose the ProV1x over the ProV suggests that you won't (from the reviews I've read)

it is a lower compression ball which would suggest that with your incredible club head speed you will lose distance - but again, reviews seem to indicate that this isn't necessarily the case.

whether you find any performance benefits in any other area can only be established by you in practical terms.

if I was a betting man I would put money on you finding it too soft in terms of feel with a slightly high flight and loss of distance with the driver relative to the 2 balls you list.

Thanks for you advice, really appreciate it.

the_coach

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
In light of the post in the other section of the forum i am interested to know about low compression balls (in particular the Callaway Chrome Soft) and their suitability.

I have a driver swing speed of c.125mph and play off 4, so i am solid enough. I usually use one of the following balls -

Prov1 X
Callaway Hex Black

effectively any of the premium balls really.

just wondering, suitable in what way (an improvement in what way relevant to where your overall game is now) would you be looking for with a change of ball?

Foxholer

Blackballed
Visit site
You can mock me all you like about swing speed. A number of forumers saw me hit it 20yds past everyone (and Quiros) at the Callaway Kings of Distance day last year.

Cheers for your helpful advice though. Not

Not really mockery, though if you consider it that, then fine by me! :rolleyes:

But with that swing speed - I'm not disputing it - there must be something that is seriously letting your game down if you are 'only' off 4 - thus the mild p-take about ending up in the rough! I know a couple of 105-110mph-ers who play off +1 and +3

125 (average) is higher than the highest PGA speeds and should equate to 300-ish average!

So what's holding you back?!

Btw. I was there that day. Was there a huge hook as well? Or was that someone else.

Last edited:

MendieGK

Tour Winner
Visit site
Not really mockery, though if you consider it that, then fine by me! :rolleyes:

But with that swing speed - I'm not disputing it - there must be something that is seriously letting your game down if you are 'only' off 4 - thus the mild p-take about ending up in the rough! I know a couple of 105-110mph-ers who play off +1 and +3

125 (average) is higher than the highest PGA speeds and should equate to 300-ish average!

So what's holding you back?!

Btw. I was there that day. Was there a huge hook as well? Or was that someone else.

Nope I hit the fairway with both shots. My game is let down with my scoring clubs, and in fact i actually only hit driver about 3x a round. I just don't need it.

I am under no illusions that my handicap should be a lot lower, Trust me :) I'm working hard on it too.

Apologies if i took your comment the wrong way, theres a lot of doubters on here, so its get a little frustrating. I only mentioned the SS as i feel its a fairly key part of my post :)

MendieGK

Tour Winner
Visit site
just wondering, suitable in what way (an improvement in what way relevant to where your overall game is now) would you be looking for with a change of ball?

I'm not a huge fan of the ProV1 or the X. Considered moving to the Bridgestone B330 tour (black box) too.

Foxholer

Blackballed
Visit site
I'm not a huge fan of the ProV1 or the X. Considered moving to the Bridgestone B330 tour (black box) too.

Not really answered the_coach's question though.

What is it you don't you like about the ProV1 or X - that you are hoping to find in a different ball? Better feel? More or Less Spin? Was the Callaway SR3 (presumably) from KofD day good/bad/indifferent? Why?

Haven't seen Pros (as fast swingers) using ProV1 (non-X) for a long time - only the X. In fact, I don't believe it's even supplied for Practice at main tour tournaments - again, only the X. Srixon XV may also be worth considering, though it's pretty much a ProV1X equivalent and you seem to be looking for something else.

MendieGK

Tour Winner
Visit site
Not really answered the_coach's question though.

What is it you don't you like about the ProV1 or X - that you are hoping to find in a different ball? Better feel? More or Less Spin? Was the Callaway SR3 (presumably) from KofD day good/bad/indifferent? Why?

Haven't seen Pros (as fast swingers) using ProV1 (non-X) for a long time - only the X. In fact, I don't believe it's even supplied for Practice at main tour tournaments - again, only the X. Srixon XV may also be worth considering, though it's pretty much a ProV1X equivalent and you seem to be looking for something else.

I didnt like the SR3 at all, i found it too soft. Whereas as previously mentioned i loved the HexBlack (if i could find them anywhere i would buy lots). This would suggest that the Chrome Soft may not be to my liking.

I like the Z-star, is the XV slightly firmer then?

palindromicbob

Tour Winner
Visit site
D

Deleted Member 1156

Worth considering the Srixon Z Star XV Sam, it is def a premium ball! And if you shop around they always seem to be on special offer somewhere.