Looking to buy some new irons, need help on what I should look at.

SArthur

Visit site
Hi there,

I'm really looking to buy some new irons, unfortunately, my old ones are quite beaten up and battered.

I currently play with a set of Ping G5s, 4 iron - Pw. I do really like these irons and would be looking for something similar.
I currently play off a handicap of 14 and do feel like maybe a new set of irons, with the new technologies may help in pushing it down a little further.

I don't have a big budget, and probably will be looking on GolfBidder. I would love to get fitted for some, however out of my price range.
I just need some help and advice on any irons out there which might suit what I'm looking for?

Thanks for any help!

patricks148

Global Moderator
Visit site
As Orikoru says Pings, though i doubt there would be any distance gains unless the lofts are jacked, shafts may have changed a bit though since you got yours

Neeko1988

Visit site
Buying new irons will not improve your handicap

I understand your a pro and buying new irons isn’t the answer to lowering your handicap. But how can you just categorically say they won’t lower his handicap? We don’t know anything about his old clubs other than the model and what he’s buying...

bobmac

Major Champion
Visit site
I understand your a pro and buying new irons isn’t the answer to lowering your handicap. But how can you just categorically say they won’t lower his handicap? We don’t know anything about his old clubs other than the model and what he’s buying...

And he also really likes his old irons.

Neeko1988

Visit site
And he also really likes his old irons.

I played with jpx 800 irons with reg 55g graphite shafts. If ud asked me I’d say I really like them. I then had some p790 fitted in stiff 120g shafts different was night and day.

I know he isn’t getting fitted but just and iron change surely COULD lower his handicap.

bobmac

Major Champion
Visit site
I know he isn’t getting fitted but just and iron change surely COULD lower his handicap.

If his present irons didn't suit him, and he was getting fitted, I might say maybe.
But they do suit him, he really likes them, so I would say no.
It would be a shame if he spent his whole budget on a set he's never tried before and found he didn't like them as much as his old set.

In my opinion, the OP would be better off having some lessons and practicing, that will help get his h/cap down rather than wasting money on irons he doesn't need.
However, I also know the lure of the shiney and it's his money and he can do what he wants with it.
Just my opinion
And finally.........

I understand your a pro and buying new irons isn’t the answer to lowering your handicap.

:whistle:

Neeko1988

Visit site
If his present irons didn't suit him, and he was getting fitted, I might say maybe.
But they do suit him, he really likes them, so I would say no.
It would be a shame if he spent his whole budget on a set he's never tried before and found he didn't like them as much as his old set.

In my opinion, the OP would be better off having some lessons and practicing, that will help get his h/cap down rather than wasting money on irons he doesn't need.
However, I also know the lure of the shiney and it's his money and he can do what he wants with it.
Just my opinion
And finally.........

:whistle:

Sorry, i totally agree with what your saying 100%. That’s why I said new clubs aren’t the best answer if you want to lower your handicap.

I just think in my opinion you can’t say new clubs would def not help.

??

Ye Olde Boomer

Visit site
New irons are always fun. I played with my DCI 962s for about twenty years, so new clubs were really a treat.
It doesn't matter if they improve your game that much.They'll be refreshing to have anyway.

But asking advice on an internet golf forum? That's possibly not the best way to go about it!

hovis

Tour Winner
Visit site
not sure I agree with new clubs not lowering handicap. I loved my ping i20's. it wasn't until I went for a fitting and found out they spin waaaaay too much. I was fitted for Taylormade p770 irons. 1 club longer and lower ball flight definitely help lower my HC

Orikoru

Tour Winner
Visit site
I played with jpx 800 irons with reg 55g graphite shafts. If ud asked me I’d say I really like them. I then had some p790 fitted in stiff 120g shafts different was night and day.

I'm with you mate. You cannot categorically say new clubs won't lower someone's handicap. Even if he likes the old ones, he might get new ones and find they are lighter/stronger/more forgiving and suit him even better, and that he then shoots two shots better a round. To say they definitely wouldn't is daft.

bobmac

Major Champion
Visit site
To say they definitely wouldn't is daft.

I didn't say that, I gave an opinion based on 50 years of watching people try and fail to get better by buying new clubs.
I also said if he was fitted he might get better but he's not getting fitted.
So I stand by my opinion in the hope the OP might have a couple of lessons and improve his skills which will get his h/cap down which would be more rewarding than blowing £300-400 on a set of clubs he's never tried.