Look the part

pokerjoke

Money List Winner
Visit site
I really do like to look smart on the golf course.
I believe if I feel good I will play good more often than not.
Last weekend I played in a pro-am qualifier with 3 players that I have played
with many times before.
One of the guys walked on the first tee with the dirtiest shoes you likely to see.
It looked like he had been jumping in mud last winter and had let the mud go hard
on his shoes.
To be honest I was bemused.
It takes a couple of minutes to clean your shoes after a round.
They are expensive and will last longer if looked after.
Do you think its disrespectful to your fc if you turn up scruffy and covered in mud.
Maybe im being a bit of a fuddy duddy here[something to moan about I suppose]
He also walked off after 7 holes because he was playing rubbish,but thats for another
day.

D

Deleted member 15344

I really do like to look smart on the golf course.
I believe if I feel good I will play good more often than not.
Last weekend I played in a pro-am qualifier with 3 players that I have played
with many times before.
One of the guys walked on the first tee with the dirtiest shoes you likely to see.
It looked like he had been jumping in mud last winter and had let the mud go hard
on his shoes.
To be honest I was bemused.
It takes a couple of minutes to clean your shoes after a round.
They are expensive and will last longer if looked after.
Do you think its disrespectful to your fc if you turn up scruffy and covered in mud.
Maybe im being a bit of a fuddy duddy here[something to moan about I suppose]
He also walked off after 7 holes because he was playing rubbish,but thats for another
day.

Agree with you totally

I like looking the part - like to be smart and tidy and clean in regards my clothes and shoes

Like to make sure I'm co ordinated colour wise and as you say if I feel good I believe I can play good

I'm happy to make a little bit of effort to be tidy and smart. Give my shoes a quick clean , trouser , shirt and jumper clean and ironed. Present yourself well on the golf course

fundy

Ryder Cup Winner
Visit site
Id be far more upset that he walked off after 7 holes than having a bit of mud on his shoes!

I often leave shoes in my locker and needed a "winter" pair the other day instead of spikeless ones, the pair I had werent overly clean but hey ho, rather that than fall over

bluewolf

Money List Winner
Visit site
Couldn't care less if I tried.... I've better things to get narked about than the state of someone's shoes. As long as they're personable and decent company they can be wearing bloody work boots for me.

Alex1975

Tour Winner
Visit site
Id be far more upset that he walked off after 7 holes than having a bit of mud on his shoes!

I often leave shoes in my locker and needed a "winter" pair the other day instead of spikeless ones, the pair I had werent overly clean but hey ho, rather that than fall over

This.... Funny hole to walk from too? 9 is not far away...

North Mimms

Tour Winner
Visit site
Couldn't care less if I tried.... I've better things to get narked about than the state of someone's shoes. As long as they're personable and decent company they can be wearing bloody work boots for me.

As long as they are not standing on your line!

I can't understand why people get so het up about *other* people's shoes.
Sure- buff and polish your own, but don't judge me if my shoes are not pristine.

Quite frankly after this winter's mud bath, my shoes got a blast from the air jet, and maybe a rub with my bag towel, but am I really going to spend time making them spotlessly clean when they are going to be covered in mud by the second hole ?

Lighten up chaps!

NWJocko

Tour Winner
Visit site
Wow.

I generally don't notice what shoes people are wearing never mind if they are dirty or not!! I played in a fourball last night and I couldn't tell you what any if the guys were wearing!

I give my shoes the odd wipe with a baby wipe and clothes are washed etc but not overly anal about what folk wear.

StrangelyBrown

Tour Winner
Visit site
As long as they're good company, keep up with play and are ready to play when it's their turn they could be wearing jeans, a St Mirren top and a pair of manky Sambas for all I care.

Hacker Khan

Yurt Dwelling, Yoghurt Knitter
Visit site

What he said. Life really is too short to worry about how someone is dressed. By all means dress to impress if it makes you feel better about yourself. But don't judge others who don't as judging people by how they conform to an uniform is a bit last century.

D

Deleted Member 1156

I will only play with people wearing pristine top of the range Footjoys, Eccos or Adidas shoes.

Anyone else is just a chomper :whistle:

matchrat

Medal Winner
Visit site
You probably wouldn't like playing with me - bought some shoes on sale for winter and to be honest haven't cleaned them since I bought them. Doesn't help that they were once white. Looking forward to getting out tonight after work and wearing my new clean summer shoes.

Foxholer

Blackballed
Visit site
I'm happy enough to play in scruffy, but suitable gear. I'd rather be scruffy/innocuous but comfortable than dressed like a peacock that some folk like! Certainly a Chomper D4S (not just from a dress sense). Though the really scruffy, effective, Winter Adidas shoes will shortly be changed for far better quality Adidas ones, or really comfy Eccos!

I'd never walk off part way through the round, just because my play was scruffy though! I've experienced others doing it a couple of times though - including a guy I often play with who is extremely determined in other aspects of his life (one of only 2 cases where attitude on a golf course is at odds with attitude in real life)!

Last edited:

pokerjoke

Money List Winner
Visit site

Im sure your jesting when you say work boots.
Im certainly not saying I wont play with anyone with dirty shoes and I definitely
don't get wound up about it at all.
I just don't understand it,you can pay a lot of money for shoes and im sure it will
prolong the life of the shoes.
I suppose it does boil down[as Rooter]points out the same in lifes aspects.
Maybe disrespectful to FC was a little over the top,but maybe just having a bit of
pride in how you look.
As I said I dress smartly because it makes me feel good not because im better
than everyone else or snobbish,just got a little pride in my appearance that's all.

Bratty

Princess Pouty (Queen of Fish Lips)
Visit site
I like to be well-dressed on the course, but often my shoes let me down!

I just can't be bothered to clean them after a round.

In Dubai recently, I put them on and then had to take them off as the locker room attendant insisted on cleaning then for me! I now have lovely white shoes again following his damp cloth, scrub, white polish and buff job!

And yes, I tipped him generously!

Having seen how clean they are, I shall be making more of an effort to keep them that way.

tsped83

Tour Winner
Visit site
Wow.

I generally don't notice what shoes people are wearing never mind if they are dirty or not!! I played in a fourball last night and I couldn't tell you what any if the guys were wearing!

I give my shoes the odd wipe with a baby wipe and clothes are washed etc but not overly anal about what folk wear.

Amen brother. A few try hards evidently on here.