longest par 3

Hobbit

Mordorator
Visit site
Wetherby GC used to start with a 245yd par 3 but they rejigged the course to make it the 3rd hole, and also shortened it to 198yds.

The 16th at Carnoustie is also a beast. Played a driver to it in a hoolie, and finished about 5yds on to a back flag then coolly 3 putted.

HomerJSimpson

Hall of Famer
Visit site
Wimbledon Common has one at at 237 yards and it is really tight. A real card wrecker. Royal Ascot starts with a 229 (off the plates) par 3. OOB right as well as a line of trees on the right about 40 yards short that encroaches towards the hole and will block or interfere with anything right. Two bunkers left and one right and SI10 so none of the single figure guys get a shot. Not an easy opener and most members will take a 4 and get off to the second quickly

sunshine

Visit site
17th at Dalmahoy is 245, the Vale 3rd is 247.

But the craziest I can think of is the 17th at Pinner Hill, which is 245 yards but plays so downhill that typically it's only a 7 iron in summer. The green falls so far that it's actually completely blind off the tee.

KenL

Tour Rookie
Visit site
First hole @ Winterfield GC (Dunbar) - 228y - 200y carry over a sunken fairway. Take it on and leave yourself short of the gulley and you are in thick rough with a mad stance!
winterfield_golf_club_7.jpg
About the worst hole on any course I've ever played.

sunshine

Visit site
4th at Porthcawl is 215, to a massively sloping green. I've played that into the wind in February, got nowhere near it!

That green is about 50 yards long with 3 tiers. Must be 250 to a back pin. I played it off the whites so it was "only" 200 yards, or 235 to the pin, into the wind, surrounded by bunkers. Beast.

rulefan

Tour Winner
Visit site
Wetherby GC used to start with a 245yd par 3 but they rejigged the course to make it the 3rd hole, and also shortened it to 198yds.
Crikey, how long ago was that? 20 years ago the 1st was a very short par 4 alongside the old railway. About 10 years ago it was turned thru 60* and became a par 5.

rulefan

Tour Winner
Visit site
From what I can remember the tee was by the clubhouse, a long way above the green. Pushing 40 years ago. I still remember the apple crumble and custard
Well the tee was certainly there in 2000 but at that time it was a short par4. Goodness knows had it got to be the 3rd.

PNWokingham

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
JCB is the longest i have seen. The 16th at Berkshire Red is usually a mighty hit, well over 200, but can't remember the exact length

Slab

Occasional Tour Caddy
Visit site
Playing there on Saturday there's a par 3 on the card at 255yds off the black tees for the 8th hole at Anahita. Although other than pro's I've not seen anyone use those tee markers as it makes the course a smidge under 7500yrds long

I'll play that hole at about 180yrds (directly into the wind so it'll still be driver or 3w) Not my fav hole